• Those wishing to contribute to the game by making suggestions (both small and large) should read the following before doing so.

Bushtarion largely runs completely automatically, and has been designed intentionally to be as self-maintaining as possible, with mechanics and balance considered at a completed point.

Please do not spend large amounts of time coming up with complex suggestions in the hope that they will be read and possibly implemented in the future, unless you just enjoy the discussion, theory-craft, and such.

The most likely changes will be rules-changes, specific number-tweaks to units, techs, and similar sorts of changes, and only if a large community consensus is reached as "proof" that a change would, overall, be an improvement, and are more likely to be done in batches, occassionally, not as a regular thing.

Nerfing of Solos.

Minnzy

Weeder
Re: Nerfing of Solos.

I say instead of removing benefits of being solo increase benefits of alliances, what incentive is there in being in an alliance when you get waved by 15 people each one having more military power then your entire alliance combined? sure to get to that position you have to be in an alliance but once top spot is taken Solo is the only possible way of defending yourself if your alliance fails to take top spot

Edit: One thing that really ***** me though is when you spy someone and they were attacked quite a few days ago and you still trigger AR... WHEN THEY'RE YOUR EXACT SCORE (give or take 1 or 2 points) and I don't mean zeroed people with heaps of land but still the same land and unit score as you, that's what can get to me

WildDisease

Pruner

After further reading and analyzing the Age 5 summary.. I've concluded that next round will be a lot easy for a solo =D
AR being easier to get? mmmmm :multi:

I don't really mind what nerfing happens because there's always a advantage to a disadvantage..
I've assessed the possibilities and I've come up with a plan of what I'm going to be doing in order to abuse solo play in Age 5 :lol:

f0xx

Landscape Designer

WildDisease said:
After further reading and analyzing the Age 5 summary.. I've concluded that next round will be a lot easy for a solo =D

Oh really? That is what this whole argument is about...

Augustus

Head Gardener

Garrett said:
Psolo is destroying ally play.

Personally the requirements of playing in a half decent Alliance are enough to push me towards solo play. High Activity, handing out my Phone Number, being woken up at all sorts of times. I think it is more the competitiveness of Alliances that is destroying Alliance play, not solos.

P.S. DarkSider made some very good points and I would like to see one of the anti-solo advocates give an intelligent argument against his comments.

Alcibiades

Plant Geneticist

To be honest, my personal opinion on the matter is that solos aren't helping the situation, but that it really was the introduction of injuries that started to kill allied play and make the burnout level for allies go through the roof.

Think on it, pre injuries, unless you were the rank 1 ally/solo you were able to be zeroed. Zeroed is a term that has lost it's meaning in recent rounds, where 35% of your troops pop up 18 ticks later. This means that essentially once you've been hit, you pop out of range for 3 hours and then boom, you're back within your attackers' range. This consequently means that instead of being given the time to rebuild after being shattered, you're forced either to hit sleepmode, let yourself get raped, or have to be online/contactable to send out your remaining staff.

That is a huge problem, and has been for me since injuries started. I tend to like playing defensively (read: i'm a crap attacker) and so defence is my strongpoint (usually POM route as well) and this means that on top of being an integral part of every alliance defence/set of incomings i now am a delicious target to all those who would love to kill a POM, especially one who blocks a lot of incoming. So, being a permanent target (with the exception of 3 hour grace periods) your activity is required to be extremely high, or you have to go solo, where the expectations aren't as high.

Whereas some of you are postulating other theories as to the reasons for alliances high expectations, i think it is mainly derived from injuries. You are no longer able to take a day or so off every few weeks to rebuild completely from scratch. Honestly, after weeks/days of incoming, i would gladly accept a good zeroing and be able to rest peacefully for a night or two. One or two good solid, uninterrupted nights sleep every 5-10 days would work wonders for me. Allies are dying because days of constant incoming are going to inevitably crack even the best alliances, and injuries accelerates this situation because your targets are back into your range/targeting cycle faster than previously.

Solos: are a problem when it comes to alliances, a very big one, in my eyes, but cannot be blamed for the sole loss of players/interest/allies. There must be other factors at work here, and for me, injuries and the sheer amount of time online i *must* maintain is punishing on the body and the spirit.

Edit: On the matter of handing out my phone number, if i'm playing allied it is usually with a group of people i know and have known for several rounds and trust as much as i can trust anyone on the internet and so i have no problem giving them my number. Also when i first started i was a little skeptical about giving it out, but really, afaik, people can't do much with just your phone number, or even your phone number and name. Also, i'm pretty sure all allies don't require phone numbers, just those that are going ftw, because it will be necessary for you to be a team player, and that means being contactable and able to help out your allymates even when it's not necessarily in your best interest.

Harbinger

Pruner

The game currently allows solo and alliance play - both are currently valid options. And a solo player, with activity of say 8 hours a day should be able to compete on value with an alliance player investing the same amount - the challenge for Azzer is to balance the game to enable this equality to become a reality.

I also believe there is a massive false assumption here - those arguing to nerf solos are assuming that those players who can't be arsed to play in an alliance now (with all the commitment that follows with that) and who currently play solo, will miraculously see the light and join alliances. They won't - they will leave the game.

roger rabbit

Harvester

Harbinger said:
The game currently allows solo and alliance play - both are currently valid options. And a solo player, with activity of say 8 hours a day should be able to compete on value with an alliance player investing the same amount - the challenge for Azzer is to balance the game to enable this equality to become a reality.

I also believe there is a massive false assumption here - those arguing to nerf solos are assuming that those players who can't be arsed to play in an alliance now (with all the commitment that follows with that) and who currently play solo, will miraculously see the light and join alliances. They won't - they will leave the game.

and so will the money.

roger rabbit

Harvester

Alcibiades said:
To be honest, my personal opinion on the matter is that solos aren't helping the situation, but that it really was the introduction of injuries that started to kill allied play and make the burnout level for allies go through the roof.

i think alci hit it right on the head with this comment. since the introduction of injuries, the level of frustration has risen exponentially.

you can almost point every problem to this reason alone as to why allies are declining and solo play is increasing.

Maxi

Head Gardener
Super Moderator
Community Operator

It's not the solos nor injuries alone, but both and much more. I'm pretty sure we can't point the 'problem' at one exact thing; it's a combination of things that make people leave. ;)

BlackWolf

Landscape Designer

Harbinger said:

Go solos 15 vs 1. Why the **** I am still in alliance?
15 people working their ass off 8 hours a day defending others and trying to cooperate, communicate, and call each others to def and what we are worth?
1 by game defended solo... WOOHOO!
GO BUSH GO!

Harbinger

Pruner

BlackWolf said:
Harbinger said:

Go solos 15 vs 1. Why the smeg I am still in alliance?
15 people working their ass off 8 hours a day defending others and trying to cooperate, communicate, and call each others to def and what we are worth?
1 by game defended solo... WOOHOO!
GO BUSH GO!

Did I say a 15 man alliance equalled one solo - keep up BW - I know it's hard for you :roll:

If I work alone or work with 14 others, I would still expect the same pay. Equality would mean that the alliance would have combined 15 x the score of the solo. If the game is going to accept solos then they have to be able to play - taking out AR (that has been in the game as long as I have) would mean the end to solo play. As I said in another thread - that's fine. Make the game alliance only, no solo option - I've probably spent 90% of my Bush career in alliances and I'm of the firm opinion that this should be an alliance game.

If AR is scrapped then solo play has to be scrapped. And if that is the case then there has to be some way for new players (if they are out there) to enter the game.

BlackWolf

Landscape Designer

Harby your answer shows exactly what is wrong atm.
If solo player can be as big as 15 people working together then damn sure it is 1 vs 15 and solo coming out as winner. Why solo should be as big as alliance where 15 people are doing their best to grow together? I dont see my value being 15 times bigger due being in alliance, I see that I have same value as those solos who are playing alone. Yet I am supposed to have 14 others helping me. So those solos are doing 15 times less work than I and my alliance yet having same value. I dont think that is the way this game is meant to be. So yes I think you just said 1 solo is equal to whole alliance. Only thing where solos doesnt show up is on almost empty alliance page.

Solos should need to work their ass off to reach top 50, portaling as solo should be awesome achievement. Currently if your not in rank 1 alliance then those who portals are more likely solos than in some other alliance.

I am not going to the ways how people should join alliances etc. I understand that point and I agree. I just dont see there is a way Azzer will do smeg to solos and their dominance. He has not done anything to things in the past and he will not do in the future. We may see some minor bonus alterations in few rounds, but thats all there is going to be. Most likely such alterations that is making calculation how to land on solos even harder and more complex. Have elephant size loop holes and be so smegged anyways that those will do more harm than good.

That is simply why I really cba threads like this. No matter what we say or do nothing will change anyways.

Alcibiades

Plant Geneticist

Maxi said:
It's not the solos nor injuries alone, but both and much more. I'm pretty sure we can't point the 'problem' at one exact thing; it's a combination of things that make people leave. ;)

True Maxi, but the burnout rate has soared and that is due in large portion to the injuries. Solo is far less demanding physically and emotionally than is allied play. And those two seem to be the largest factors imo.

thejo0vler

Digger

Does anyone else believe that the trashing of law and fame and bounty hunting those in red has also burnt allied play?
There used to be 2 things protecting alliance members from guys so much more massive than they are, 1 is the alliance mates and 2 was negative law. We couldn't just go hit someone smaller than us without impunity, too much negative law and a bigger fish than us would take the easy bounty.
Now Solo's still have their
AR protection whilst Alliance players have lost their Law protection.
Just my two cents that everyone seemed to ignore

Illumination

Head Gardener

I vote to get rid of pure solo benefits and pnaps. You cant take away AR. If a way to stop triggering can be realized, great, implement that too- but without pnaps, at least a person has a chance to attack a solo while they sleep:p

f0xx

Landscape Designer

AR protects solos from what alliances are best in - organised attacks. It is not right when 15 solos can send to the same alliance member at the same tick and the alliance cannot retall in a similar way...

No-Dachi

Official Helper

Very valid point, f0xx.

And although injuries suits my current play style, I agree that it's a cause for burnouts. Before injuries it was quite easy to take down an alliance, whereas now it requires a lot more work, and has perhaps tripled the time (which should be good, but it's too demanding with 10min ticks).

Perhaps injuries could be changed to give back say 1% of the lost troops every 6th tick, going on for 60 ticks. Numbers can be tweaked of course (and they're just examples - nothing thought through), but the idea is to give the zeroed players -something- to come back to (including seeds), and making it a tedious business totally zeroing a player, while still enabling a hostile force to practically eliminate him from the war.

septimus

Harvester

I think Solo's need AR, I mean I can understand why people find it frustrating, having it drop faster certainly benefits the allid players, while not killing solo's.

I have no problem with solo's, pure or otherwise. I have a problem with these solo groups. I realize Doro has claimed that it's primarily about an IRC room where they all hang out, talk, etc. I can understand that it can be boring to just sit at a computer playing a game alone for multiple hours a day(Kinda like drinking, if you do it alone every day you got a problem, if you play a game alone every day you got a problem :p).

What about allowing other players to sort of police things? The idea behind solo is to play by yourself, I'm not referring to intentionally triggering on eachother, I'm referring to attacking together, by the middle of the round the solo groups are easy for an alliance to point out, if a large group of solos are found to be working as an ally(IE 6,7,8 etc of them attacking on the same tick 1 person) then why not allow them to be reported to Azzer or something? If he decides they are in fact working as a coordinated group then he can force them to be a group, forced allied!

Or something like that, solo play is about playing solo, by yourself. Just a thought to cut down on the number of solo's playing as an alliance that wouldn't punish the solos that play solo the way it seems to me it was meant to be played. Then again maybe I completely missed the idea of solo play.

BlackWolf

Landscape Designer

There is no way to interact with solos doing, but to stop people playing as solo.
There has been suggestions like if your not allied troops would fire on each others etc.
Nothing just really works.