Locking myself out of my own HD

No-Dachi

Official Helper
This is kind of embarresing, and I'd hope to be able to solve it without publicly displaying my ignorance. Alas, I'm left with no other options.

I'm on a win7 system, with three disks; C: D: E: - don't know if this is relevant, but there you have it in any case.

The problem is that I've removed my access to drive D: - this was done a few weeks back when I removed my user groups access to the disk, and now I cannot add myself back in, because the "Security" tab is gone from the options.

I've tried the application "Take Ownership", but that only works on folders.
I've tried to edit the rights in the local group policy editor - but it only affected C: and E:

I know there is a way, because I've done this before, and got out of it. (I used it as a security meassure when my laptop was being circled around the group I was travelling with) - but I cannot remember how.

Help? Please?

No-Dachi

Official Helper
Yes, and yes. The problem is that, iirc, the administrator is still a user - and by removing the "user" groups access to the partition, you'll lock the admins out as well.

atsanjose

Landscape Designer
Super Moderator
try this

windows+f

compmgmt.msc

run as administrator

under storage(second tab) select disc controll( third tab) (i use dutch version so names might not be correct but youll figure it out.

select partition and now see if you can get the tab security

No-Dachi

Official Helper
Yeah, the problem is that I'm missing the security tab. But thanks for the link - I'll try to make a forum post there. They should know :p

alwaysnumb

Head Gardener
In xp pro that was usually caused by having simple file sharing enabled but prolbly not your problem. Maybe try a system restore back to before you ****ed about with it.