kingdoms of amalur - reckoning

willymchilybily

Landscape Designer
they have a demo of this on xbox market place, i down loaded it as something to do. and i really wasnt expecting much or to enjoy it after the beauty of skyrim.

but i have to say its pretty fun, and a decent demo. worth trying in my opinion. it has a very fable esk feel but somehow improved upon. and the fighting seems basic but very fun and still diverse. think its worth a look if you're bored. and if you downoload it and play it you get unlocks special stuff for the main game. but more than that you get some reckoning style armour for mass effect 3. sweet cross over bonus.

so thought id mention it here if any one is as sad as me that alone may make them try the demo. i enjoyed it.

chingaste

Pruner
i looked for it but there wasnt a demo available all i could do was rate it.

Alcibiades

Plant Geneticist
I got sucked into the demo today by Steam, and the game is really quite good fun!

It is very Fable-esque (before Fable got ****). I got the demo and it does an intro sequence, introduces you to essentially all gameplay elements, and then lets you have 45minutes free to explore around the **** near you.

It's so similar to Fable it's practically a clone, but Willy is right. Somehow it feels better, and smoother. I don't really know what to attribute the feeling to, but I would recommend it for anyone who enjoyed Fable! A sure success.

Thumbs up.

Alcibiades

Plant Geneticist
Update: Caved and totally bought it. Epic stuff. This game is legen-wait for it-dary!

willymchilybily

Landscape Designer
the game does have a certain charm to it...gonna buy it tomorrow and see how it goes. how are you finding it alci?

Alcibiades

Plant Geneticist
Ah it's great. It's just so smooth, so wonderful. It is much like Fable, the more and more I play it, you see similarities practically everywhere. But i'd say that's more of a positive thing, than a negative thing.

The open ended class system is really quite pleasant.

Currently I'm a Warrior with a Flaming greatsword and metal plate armour (with epic defensive capabilities) and my secondary weapons are Twin Daggers which provide flame bonus enchantments during the day, and frost ones at night! Which is pretty sweet. Although at the press of a button I can be firing up Lightning spells, pwning with magic staves, or using amazing sceptres (essentially a kind of wand) that blasts opponents with magical powers. GREAT FUN, total versatility. The game is none too challenging, even on Hard, and makes for a pleasant, smooth, friendly play through.

This game is a nice change of pace from most others, it's got a friendly atmosphere that lends itself to a casual playthrough, and quite a lot of stuff to do ingame. Somewhere in the realm of 200+ hours (according to reviews) and I'm having a blast about 2 days in. :)

Fighting is very smooth, it's spectacularly easy to transition between fighting styles and weapons: bows, staffs, daggers, longswords, greatswords CHAKRAMS. Which are tbh the MOST ****ING AWESOME WEAPONS EVER.

Opening scene with chakrams is great, player isn't the best but you can see the potential for awesomeness I think.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PY6K4fgA9b4

Dark_Angel

Landscape Designer
Super Moderator
Community Operator
I think its the name that has put me off getting it so far. The name is decidedly gay, and not very memorable.

Going to try the demo, may give it a shot on the back of Alci's rave review :p

Alcibiades

Plant Geneticist
Yeah the name turned me off too. It seemed so childish and amateurish. Took me 18 days to get the demo after willy posted, but I've enjoyed it immensely thus far. And while there are still some childish elements, it's presented in the witty, tongue in cheek, laugh worthy way that made me love Fable.

I hope you enjoy it DA! Otherwise i'll feel awfully foolish :(

Franny

Head Gardener
I played the demo and I got glitched stuck inside the first troll.
I like it and I don't like it. It's no elder scrolls. Overall I will play the full game at some point but I'll loose out on some content because I'll buy it second have.
/me flips EA the bird.

Alcibiades

Plant Geneticist
Nothing is like the Elder Scrolls series though. This a totally different kind of RPG experience. Much more laidback, much more less "stress intensive" imo.

willymchilybily

Landscape Designer
loving the main game. good story line really like it so far. good fun all round. sure no skyrim. but it has other qualities i really enjoy. and just love the smooth battle transition. they do say the demo is mega glitchy. not found any glitches in the main game. so thats okay.

i like the weapons too chakrams are so cool. and daggers have fun stealth kills. And if you are playing skyrim on console with no mods at least this game allows you to take apart weapons to make new ones. anyway im glad i bought it even if i was considering getting Battle field instead. its just good fun imo

Last edited:

Dark_Angel

Landscape Designer
Super Moderator
Community Operator
I've tried the demo and its been good enough to push me to buy the actual game in the near future.

Story looks fairly promising, combat is very smooth and natural feeling.

My one issue with it, and I may be being picky, is the visuals. Quite nice in parts (some of the spell/weapon attacks are nice) but overall the game looks a bit dated visually.

This could well be because I've played a lot of Skyrim lately, and I find it difficult to transition between realistic graphics and the more traditional Fable-esque/Zelda type graphics - I much prefer realism tbch.

Fable 2 Gameplay
- This game is about 4 years old but the visuals are reasonably similar. I get a bit frustrated when I see games with the same visuals as games x-number of years older.

That being said the graphics seem to suit the gameplay and ultra-realism clearly isn't what the game is going for. Thumbs up overall.

willymchilybily

Landscape Designer
i like the gameplay overall. Though I went for a very dull pure assassin build. i think mixing it up and trying a bit of everything would be most fun. but i can re-build character when i fancy it so no loss there.

I am still enjoying it. and like the way blacksmithing works. only criticism is sagecrafting "making gems to socket to gear" is overpowered unlike blacksmithing. you can max level, and produce top end stat gems early on. the only thing holding you back is the number of gem slots and types in the armour. As on max you can unsocket and get your gems returned for free. so can just make the best gems and never lose them. where as most other skills seem to have a better level to ability balance, leveling vs gold drops/experience/damage/health/gear and armour is really niceand balances well. it encourages you to use what ever you salvage and use it because in a few levels the blacksmithing material just isnt worth hanging onto and is supassed. i also like rand set drops from npcs and chests etc.

anyway little gripe aside very enjoyable still. quick drop in and play game play is quite fun too. in skyrim i can spend half an hour running round putting on gear switching gear selling inventory etc. and not actually doing the fun stuff. This has a better style of game play if you just want to pick it up and put it down and not wounder where half the evening has gone. Should keep me going till mass effect 3 anyway