I need a cable...need help!

pinpower

Landscape Designer
Super Moderator
Okay, basically i need a cable...i dont know if it exists but i need someone to tell me whether it does, and if so what its called and preferably somewhere i can get it.

The picture below explains what i need, i thought it easier to make a pic than try and explain in words.

Photobucket URL: http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b190/ ... tineed.jpg

whatineed.jpg

Just to clarify (as the pic might not be self explanitory) its a wire with a mini usb on one end, and a connection that a normal size USB will fit into on the other...so i could take a USB connection and attach it to this wire in order to connect something with a normal size usb wire to a device that only has a mini USB port.

Thanks in advance for any help...

Azzer

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Re: I need a cable...need help!

Yes, you want a Mini-A to a Standard-A Adapter.

Just Google or browse your favourite online computer stores (I can recommend English ones but I have no idea where you live!) for "Mini-A Standard-A Adapter" or something.

pinpower

Landscape Designer
Super Moderator

did you note that the big usb one (or normal size) isnt the one you plug into something...its the kind you can plug a usb into...

still the same thing?

(also i live in england)

Azzer

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator

(just for the laymen - female is 'a hole' - you plug something in to it. Male is 'something poking out' that goes in to a female. Yes, it's very kinky in the world of electronics).

So you want a female to female adapter? Or a male to female adapter? With Standard-A being the female and Mini-A being the male or a female connection?

And what is this for?

CrazyMonkey

Planter

Whats the cord for pinpower?

Yeah chewie thats the right cord.

Oh this is a cord used for data transferring from your computer to your mp3 player, ipod or whatever you have.

I can send you a cord of mine if you want to pay for shipping :)

Souls

Official Helper

That's not the right cord, he wants a FEMALE USB connector on the other end. :p One you can plug a USB cable in to.

willymchilybily

Landscape Designer

he wants and im 100% sure from his description

" USB connection and attach it to this wire " therefore regular usb end = female something lets say a pen drive can plug into

"connect something with a normal size usb wire to a device that only has a mini USB port." mini usb end (as you termed it) = male

though as for what exactly that end is called i wouldnt know. as there are thousands of slightly different ends that look similar to that. some cameras use ones that have similar size but angular ends. asked my dad. and he isnt sure. though i got him intregued

(the male end goes into the female end is how i remeber it \o/)

try ebuyer.

if you told us the application etc it may help. or what piece of equipment the male end (mini usb) would be plugging into

if it is a mini usb (male) to a standard usb (female). if its the connection im thinking it is

RS wholesalers describe it as. being about an 8th of the size of a usb-b connector. i think. but i dont know.

could be you want a things like a [usb] mini b (male) to standard a(female) im guessing is the cable.
this was the closest thing i could find in an electrical wholesaler cable catalogue. and it comes in many various forms

in rs electrical wholesalers book 2 (this is for wireing, componetnts and connectors)
it says, in the usb section, a "standard a to mini b" cable of 1 meter costs £7.22pence (english currency ftw) for 1+

and ofc a reduced cost at 15+ and further at 50+. so as its uncommon ebuyer may have got a batch of 15. so with vat and delivery profit etc. (it gets as low as £6.49 when bough in bulk.)

so expect it to be like 15 quid vat and delivery. these connection types most commonly used for camera's PDAs, audio players, and celular phones to exchange data directly from usb device etc to the phone. no pc needed. so if this sounds like the right sort of application

anyway hope im right and this helps :p

i think azzer was pretty much right. he just suffers from old age and didnt relalise that picture of the regular usb was female not male :D
i wounder if hes ever made that mistake b4.

EDIT

on closer inspection i dont know the difference between a mini-a and mini-b well enough

plan b
http://www.tca-inc.net/usbmatousbbf.html is this it...??? (female standard a to male mini b)

or

alternatively.

lol make it yourself

http://www.tca-inc.net/usbgechfetof.html + http://www.ebuyer.com/product/136189/show_product_specifications

i dont know what a mini-a looks like compared to a mini-b so i dont know if its the right type of connectors.