How do you set up a website?

saint1d

Head Gardener
My wife has recently been selling some jewellery to friends and colleagues, and it's taken off quite a lot better than what she expected. A lot of sales are through word of mouth, the problem is that people are asking about different designs that she does, and unless she is there to show them they have no way of finding out.

So....I suggested she set up a webpage with nothing more than a few photos, some text and a contact email address, but I really have no idea what sort of cost is involved. I did a quick search to get an idea of prices, but there is a little more to it than I thought.

For example:

http://www.ukdomains.com/ offer a package for £4.99 per month which includes
* FREE Web Page
* Full Control Panel Management
* Powerful DNS
* E-mail + Web Forwarding
* Expert advice

but they also offer a package for £0.99 per month which includes
* FREE Domain
* FREE Web Tools
* Instant set-up
* Super-fast Servers
* Powerful Webmail
* No hidden fees

Now feel free to call me stupid, but I have no idea what all of that is, and I cant be arsed to google it all :p

Can someone give me an idea of what sort of thing I should be looking for, as I said it's just a few photos and some text that will be displayed.

Thanks ;)

DarkSider

Tree Surgeon
If i was you i'd contact Polo/Weeble, even if it's just a couple pictures it's probably good to have somebody make your page look a lil bit professional :p

Benneh

Tree Surgeon
Super Moderator
99p a month for all that!? Nice! :eek:

But yeah, you could also ask Polo/Weeble if you wanted.

Or, you could go buy your own domain and have me host it and do most things for you, for a small (Yes, really small) fee, if you wanted, as some of the bushy people already are.

Other than that, find a decent registrar and host, I'd go with TandyUK (http://www.tandyukservers.co.uk), GoDaddy (http://www.godaddy.com) etc..

Google is your friend when it comes to cheap and reliable hosting.

Weeble

Community Manager
Administrator
If she wants a simple online presence to sell her work, she could set up a store on eBay.. costs £15 a month for the most basic shop I believe, but then all sales and purchases are covered by a huge number of insurances etc.

Alternatively if she just wants to upload a load of pictures of her work then you can easily do that for free - DeviantArt, Flickr, etc all offer free accounts to upload whatever you choose.

If she wants something a bit more professional (read: her own domain name and web page so she can control content *exactly*) then yes it might be worth buying these.
Do bear in mind that that "£0.99 per month" package is only available for the first month. After that it's often somewhere in the area of £10 a month.

If you want any further details/advice on any of the above then feel free to PM me and I'll do my best to help you out!

LAFiN

Tree Surgeon
I'd be willing to design a site for her, for free, so long as I could use it to put into my portfolio. Job market is tough over here in the states and any work is good work!

Dark_Angel

Landscape Designer
Super Moderator
Community Operator
Be advised that most plans involve a minimum term (usually 12 month) contract.

There are thousands of web hosting websites - Your best bet is trying to accurately determine what plan is realistic for you.

This site , looks fairly good :)

Garrett

Landscape Designer
start > run programs > startwebsite.exe

snicker. good luck.

saint1d

Head Gardener
Thanks to all that replied.

This originally started off with us thinking about an ebay shop, however most of her sales have not actually been through ebay but word of mouth. A few people have asked if she has some kind of brochure so I had suggested Photobucket or something similar, but then thought on the idea of a simple website.

Ofc I'm full on "lets just do it" but she is a lot more sensible than me, that also makes her a bit more cautious. Personally I think there's nothing to lose, so just need a little time to persuade her lol.

I'd be willing to design a site for her, for free, so long as I could use it to put into my portfolio. Job market is tough over here in the states and any work is good work!

Thanks LAFiN, I'll give you a shout for sure if we end up doing this ;)

start > run programs > startwebsite.exe

snicker. good luck.

"No items match your search"

also tried makemeamillionaire.bat but that didnt work either :'(