Hand Gaul

Charlie_B

Harvester
Surprised no-one's mentioned this yet.

For anyone with their head in the sand/not interested in football: Ireland played France on Wednesday in a play-off to see who would qualify for the World Cup. Deep into extra time, with the scores level, a cross comes in which Thierry Henry controls with his hand - twice - before setting up William Gallas to score the goal which sent France through. The Irish are livid, the French give a collective Gallic shrug and run off to celebrate.

So, what do people think? Having watched it a few times, I think things happened too quickly to blame Henry for handling the ball - it was an instinctive reaction. That said, it was also clearly against the rules and the goal should never have stood. It'd have been great if he'd turned around and held his hands up (so to speak), but the truth is 99.9% of footballers would keep quiet, and I think even most fans would rather win a game in that way than lose it.

P.S. One leading French newspaper (I forget which) went with the headline "France finally qualify for World Cup after hold-up", which made me laugh.

Twigley

Hydroponics Developer
Well yeah henry has said he would support the game being replayed but the irish do this all the time. Cry when they can't get that extra step.

I like the idea Gary linekar had yesterday where he says the onus should be on the players to step up and say if they have made an infranction like they do in other sports such as golf and snooker. (E.g - if a player tackles you and you go down, you should be able to get up and say the player got the ball and they should not be carded).

If it was all on the players to be honest rather than the referees - players would pretty much have to be or else they would get an awful reputation.

CrimsonFury88

Harvester
Yes, it was wrong of Henry to handle the ball.. But in your mid thirties, with the shot of what will be your final WC hanging in the balance.. And the expectation of millions of football fans that idolise and support you -- it's instinct.

I have no real sympathy for the Irish though, much like Roy Keane.. Alot of fans forget how "unjust" their penalty was that gave them a win over Georgia.

What goes around, comes around.

Balance is restored.