Friend's PC locked

saint1d

Head Gardener
I realise that I don't have much info, but a friend at work mentioned a problem she is having with her pc....

She said that the keyboard is locked but the mouse is working, rebooting makes no difference. There is an lit icon on the keyboard which is a "key" symbol and a number "9". She has been out and bought a new keyboard but it still doesnt work.

Now to me it could be a broken or bent pin on the keyboard plug, it's obviously getting power as the icon is lit on the keyboard, but a new keyboard makes no difference. I'm going to lend her my wireless keyboard to see if that works, but wont be seeing her for a few days.

Anyone got any other ideas on what the problem might be? The lit icon puzzles me tbh.

Darryl

Head Gardener
I'd try a usb keyboard rather than ps/2 one, if it's the same problem on multiple keyboards, it could be the port, even if there's still power going through. A hardware fault any further than the port is ruled out if the mouse works (assuming that's PS/2 as well).

May also be worth reinstalling keyboard drivers/trying in safe mode, to check for software issues, pretty unlikely, though.

saint1d

Head Gardener
Ok that's kinda along the lines of what I was thinking. My keyboard is usb so will try that. thanks.