Creating own game

Elderveld

Official Helper
So basicly, i wanna educate myself in some coding w/e.
I wanna try and build something bush-like. Not as the game itself, but a web-based text game.

I have been google'ing some time now. But all i can find is crap.

Basicly, i need to know wich program i need, were i can find some tutorials and stuff!

Anyone know anything about it?

n0c0ntr0l

Harvester
Come back when you know a decent amount of php, sql and another language of your choice (preferably: c, c++, python or java).

Then you'll be equipped to make a tick based game.

Elderveld

Official Helper
not wat i asked n0n0 :p
I'm gonna learn it while making it!

im an expert in self teaching and experimenting

n0c0ntr0l

Harvester
Urm, I do believe there was an open source planetarion ticker released at some point (also I think it was in C, can't remember) go have a look at that.

Really though you should get down programming fundamentals before you go out to make a tick based game.

avash

Harvester
I suggest finding a course at college or a uni and learn some basics. I dont think coding is so easy you can teach yourself...you'd need someone to be able to ask for help from whenever you got stuck while you were learning.

Polo

Garden Designer
Super Moderator
I taught myself to program and now do web development professionally.

I found I learned the most when I had a reasonably sized project to work on (nobreakspace) rather than just aimlessly trying to "learn how program". A ticker based game may be a little ambitious but they're not that hard to make. I suggest you try and make a few tools for Bush first to learn the basics and then move on to creating your own game.

Regarding languages, the main options are PHP or Ruby (on Rails). PHP is probably easier to get started with but Ruby is purely object oriented which means once you get to grips with it, your programming will probably be of a higher standard than it would be with PHP. I don't know Ruby though so I can't say which is best.

If you choose PHP, just google for PHP tutorials, there is a ridiculous amount of stuff out there. PHP.net is also great for looking up functions etc.

Also, using http://www.apachefriends.org/en/xampp.html is an easy way to get PHP and Apache installed on your own PC to get you started.

Feel free to send me a message if you need any advice/help! :)

Alvestein

Garden Designer
i'm with polo. My coding knowledge is really limited but I learnt C++ fastest when I was doing a big coursework project.

Elderveld

Official Helper
I taught myself to program and now do web development professionally.

I found I learned the most when I had a reasonably sized project to work on (nobreakspace) rather than just aimlessly trying to "learn how program". A ticker based game may be a little ambitious but they're not that hard to make. I suggest you try and make a few tools for Bush first to learn the basics and then move on to creating your own game.

Regarding languages, the main options are PHP or Ruby (on Rails). PHP is probably easier to get started with but Ruby is purely object oriented which means once you get to grips with it, your programming will probably be of a higher standard than it would be with PHP. I don't know Ruby though so I can't say which is best.

If you choose PHP, just google for PHP tutorials, there is a ridiculous amount of stuff out there. PHP.net is also great for looking up functions etc.

Also, using http://www.apachefriends.org/en/xampp.html is an easy way to get PHP and Apache installed on your own PC to get you started.

Feel free to send me a message if you need any advice/help! :)

Yeah i know, it wont be simple, but i know i am capable of doing serious stuff once i set my mind to it. I can't learn from books. I need to do it, try it and see how it works.

I just dont have a clue on were to start:/ and wich program i need to use for wat :S
Ill pm u tomorow bout stuff etc.. clubbin time now:D

Elderveld

Official Helper
And yeah, the web is filled whit tutorials. Every single thing is kinda explained how the code works. Just gotta find it :)

CFalcon

Official Helper
Definitely agree that working on a real project is a far better way to learn than doing aimless exercises or tutorials. But a full fledged game is too big of a first step. IMO, first start off trying to create a harvester calc or spy stripper or similarly simple app that can just run on your desktop. Then progress to making an online app or plugin. Then you'll be ready to think about a full game.

Also, don't worry *too* much about which language to choose to learn. At their core, most languages are pretty similar, and what's more important is learning how to think like a computer. If, for example, you start off by learning PHP but later discover that Ruby would be better, it will be way way easier to pickup Ruby having learnt PHP than starting from scratch.

No-Dachi

Official Helper
Urm, I do believe there was an open source planetarion ticker released at some point (also I think it was in C, can't remember) go have a look at that.

I don't know jackshit about programming, so I'll contribute in the way I can: the source that was released was to Plantarion, which is the code that Azzer used as a basis for Bushtarion. Afaik Planetarion was never released, as it's still a working and P2P game with around 10x the members of bushtarion. :p As far as I'm told the Plantarion source code is pretty crap and messy, but I could just be pulling that out of my arse. An any event it was a working game, so it should give you something to look at.

Polo

Garden Designer
Super Moderator

I don't know jackshit about programming, so I'll contribute in the way I can: the source that was released was to Plantarion, which is the code that Azzer used as a basis for Bushtarion. Afaik Planetarion was never released, as it's still a working and P2P game with around 10x the members of bushtarion. :p As far as I'm told the Plantarion source code is pretty crap and messy, but I could just be pulling that out of my arse. An any event it was a working game, so it should give you something to look at.

Someone created a clone of Planetation though and released the source code. It's called Deto-PA.

n0c0ntr0l

Harvester

Someone created a clone of Planetation though and released the source code. It's called Deto-PA.

Ah that's what I was referring to.