Computer Wont Boot

Davis

Tree Surgeon
I recently broke my mouse and had to go buy a new one, after looking around for a bit I decided on the "Microsoft Comfort Mouse 4500" it was cheap and felt nice.

After I plugged it in it took over 10 mins to install the driver then told me if i wanted the programable buttons and tilt wheel to work i had to download some more drivers. I went and downloaded them, and after installing everything worked fine but it told me a restart was nessisary, so i thought why not. After restarting my computer got stuck in the boot menu
"PCI device listing..."
normally it lags up here but only takes 5 seconds or so, currently my computer has been stuck at
"ACPI Controller" for over an hour...
Is there anything I can do to make it reset itself or anything? I'm currently burning a windows 7 CD hoping that it will restore things back to normal but if anyone has any better options please help me out

-Davis

Dark_Angel

Landscape Designer
Super Moderator
Community Operator
Should have just bought a normal mouse.

This.

Don't do a clean install though - Windows 7 should have a repair utility that may be able to help you out. (Hit the F(X) key to get access to your boot menu and choose the CD/DVD)

Alternatively, try unplugging the mouse at boot.

There's no reason whatsoever a driver installation should fudge the bios - bit weird.

If you want to reset the bios open up your PC and remove the battery (small, silver round thing - carefully take it out, wait a few seconds, then put it back in - if you don't feel comfortable with this there should be a reset jumper you can use to reset the bios (see your motherboard manual or Google this for extra help.))

Resetting the bios won't do anything to your hard drive.

Weeble

Community Manager
Administrator
As DA suggests, try removing the mouse and booting again. If that doesn't work, and you have a Live CD handy or a spare HDD with a simple Windows install then replace your current hard drive to see if it boots onto that.

ACPI errors could be anything from graphics cards to RAM to peripherals to power supplies - generally caused when a component is either drawing too much power or not quite enough (ie hardware failing). Or a hard drive not able to boot for any number of reasons.

Dark_Angel

Landscape Designer
Super Moderator
Community Operator
Just another thought - Recovery discs are really useful for sorting out boot failures - so you could give that a go (you can download Windows recovery files from a number of websites, which you can then burn to disc -> Select boot menu on startup and select your cd/dvd-rom drive).

Alternatively, the windows 7 installation disc should have recovery functionality - so give that a whirl.

p.s - Thank you for opening my eyes Weeble (just "read" your sig :( ) I lold.

Davis

Tree Surgeon
well i took it to a repair shop and apprently the hard drive is fried so we're just going to save for a new computer :p because i cant use my illegal copy of windows :p

Dark_Angel

Landscape Designer
Super Moderator
Community Operator
Fried hard drive? Weird. The things are usually extremely reliable.

At any rate, just buy a new one and install your less than legit version on that?

Very very cheap!

Davis

Tree Surgeon
i have a feeling they're just bullshitting us but they said due to some liabilities that they'd have to install the copy of windows with the hard drive and couldn't just put the hard drive in and give it to us for us to install, and i dont feel comfortable giving them a cracked version on a CD if they're already being assholes about things :p I guess i could just buy a hard drive and put it in myself but its my parents computer so i dont really care that much :p

Dark_Angel

Landscape Designer
Super Moderator
Community Operator
If you get a new hard drive, and you have a less-than-legit version of Windows, we can walk you through the installation process.

Its very straight forward - New hard drive goes in, boot from CD on startup, then follow the Wizard to throw it on the new hard drive. Happy days.

Alcibiades

Plant Geneticist
Happy-days.jpg