Calling out to all Americans

No-Dachi

Official Helper
Me and a friend are travelling to the US this autumn. We're landing in San Francisco the 28th of august, and the plan is to buy a car, spending three months travelling the US - hopefully getting to the East Coast and back.

(if you're dying to tell me about cool places to visit, please do so. We haven't planned anything at all, so we're quite open to suggestions)

Anyway, I've never bought a car in the US, obviously. What should I look out for? What kind of places should I look for, and which should I avoid? What are my rights if the car breaks down after a mile? Anything else I should keep in mind?

Any other advice about buying a car, surviving the streets, nice pubs, etc are most welcome.

(-:

Garrett

Landscape Designer
Re: Calling out to all Americans

well you already know you are coming to columbus ohio or HG and I will be terribly hurt :D

as far as buying a car, you will probably buy used which means no warranty which means as soon as you drive off the lot - you are ****ed. i mean sole owner. if it breaks down off the lot, it doesn't matter... you may wanna look up carmax an internet dealer. could probably get something cheap that way. i don't know of any local internet dealers where you are landing hopefully other peeps can help out.

if you goto colorado try the grand canyon. gotta love large ditches :D - new mexico, arizona, colorado and what? utah? has a place called 4 corners. basically you stand there and you are in 4 states at the same time

i have more useless info later.

Illumination

Head Gardener

Tell me more about the dates you will be here and what you and your friends like/want to do. Are you interested in "seeing America" likey touristy stuff, or are you more looking for just the cool bars? Do you ski, hike, etc? I would think west coast you would want to spend some time on the Pacific Ocean (good for surfing), Hollywood, Grand Canyon, lots of great state parks out that way if you are interested in that sort of stuff:) Las Vegas, Nevada for the fast life.

Midwest...lets see...tornados...flat land and farms...'nough said:p South, definitely a few days in New Orleans I would think, if you go to Florida, Disney Land:D.... and stay on the Gulf side of the state as its much nicer waters and beaches. If you like hiking, the Apalachian Mts run up the East Coast of the states and would be gorgeous in the fall. The southern US will still be quite warm in the fall, the North will be cool/cold depending on when you are actually here:) Atlantic City is the East Coast Vegas and New York City is close by to that. If you can get tickets to an American Football game while you are here, you would see American sport in heat:p

I agree with Garrett in that if starting along the West Coast, traveling along the southern USA would likely be more interesting (Through Arizona, New Mexico, Texas...Luisianna, Florida would be your most fun route to the East Coast. Once you are up the coast (Myrlte Beach, Washington DC, NYC, Boston), you could travel back west along the Northern USA seeing things like Niagra Falls (in NY), the Great Lakes, Chicago..etc.

Wish I had some time to tour my own country! Sounds like a great time:)

Tiffany

I wouldnt truly put Ohio as a stop on your tour...but since I live here along with Garrett and HG, if you end up somewhere close, Im sure we can get a group together for a night or weekend out:)

brainiac132

Head Gardener

I agree with garrett and illumination. Start in the west, see colorado, nevada, then travel along the southern coast til u get to florida, the work you way up to northeast...not much to see in the middle from what i know.when u reach florida/georgia. i don't know much of what's on the west coast (golden gate bridge in san francisco and the scenery in general is supposed to be great. my parents are out that way now.) i wouldn't spend more than like a day seeing new orleans, myself. I mean, it's a nice city and all...but it's more of an atmosphere thing than anything much to see.

otherwise, illumintation said all that's really entertaining to me about the east coast. I love the appalachian mountains and Atlanta Georgia would be a good stop off (world's largest aquarium, plus six flags amusement park and various other things. not a bad nightlife either). I'd HIGHLY HIGHLY recommend biltmore estate (found in asheville North Carolina) when you head up the east coast.

Edit PS: I highly advise NOT going to ohio...not much to see...the state's going on the downhill. and i think there is something in the water that makes the people there go insane (i give you exhibit A and B up above me :p )

Garrett

Landscape Designer

but but we made all these plans when he was with me in retarted :(

*cry*

DR4545

Pruner

Well I'm in Ohio too, so if you do decide to come by PM me if you'd like to meet up.

There's no place better to see a game of American football than in America! It's our most popular sport at the moment, so it would get you a bit of cultural immersion I suppose.

Cleveland (in Ohio) is home of the Browns football team and also right next to Cedar Point, which is one of the best amusement parks in the country. The same goes for Cincinnati ... you have the Bengals and King's Island. So it's not like all of Ohio is corn fields! American football plays on Sundays if you're interested in planning for that.

You could also check on rock concerts, comedians, and what not in any given state.

You can order Tour Guides for any given state. AAA (a travel company) can help with trip planning, and give a route with hotels nearby and stuff. Might be worth contacting them.

I'd suggest you see Las Vegas, gamble away a hundred bucks or whatever you want. Definitely see the Grand Canyon. Florida has a lot of tourist spots including Disney World and Bush Gardens. You can see the Atlantic Ocean there. (Would be cool if you see the Pacific while you're in California!) If you do go along the North side, you can see Mount Rushmore and possibly do some camping. There are a LOT of beautiful places to camp in America, there is probably a place you would like to rent a cabin for a while. I'd also suggest Washington DC (the nation's capital) if you're interested in seeing national monuments and government buildings. Lots of historical stuff there.

As for a used car, some dealers would offer guarantees. You can get Certified used cars from manufacturers which will have guarantees. If no such guarantee is available, have a mechanic check it over. Get a vehicle history report from Carfax before buying. (You'll need the car's VIN number). Some used cars may still have manufacturer's warranties covering them if you buy a newish model. I'd suggest you spend as little as possible without buying a junker that's over 12 years old or so. Get as small a car as possible to save gas money. A hybrid wouldn't save you enough on gas to pay off the extra cost, so just get something with decent miles per gallon. You will want something reasonably comfortable on the road with all the driving. I'd get cruise control. With the number of miles you will be driving, you will probably need to put more oil in at some point so don't forget! And it would be good to make sure there are plenty of the other fluids (you can ask the mechanic or dealer to be sure).

Angela

Harvester

I know this might seem a silly question and i know it might be a little bit more expensive but why not hire a car the extra it costs to hire might outway the worry of buying junk that breaks down down the road from the car dealer?

Enjoy your travels!

Illumination

Head Gardener

While out west, dont forget to look into Yosemite and Death Valley as well. I would spend a heap of time on the Western Coast..so much to do!

Here is a link to a site that specializes in tours for 18-38 year olds across America. Im not suggesting that you book a tour, but rather you take a look at the various stops that the different tours make...it can give you an excellent idea of what is worthwhile to invest your time and money into:)

http://www.trekamerica.com/search/searc ... USA&Page=1

Saints

Harvester

p.s get a Garman car gps system or somethign to help u with the directions maps are anoying and hard to read if u dont live around here :p

Definitly go to a american football game or baseball somewere its different everywere...

hmm places to see grand canyon, new york city, florida beaches dysney land, washington dc history and whitehouse crap :p also definitly los vegas....

maybe stop by texas get some american BBQ and see a rodeo or something along that lines

also hit up one of great lakes??

Podunk

Head Gardener

If you're into more rural areas and forests and such, Oregon is really nice :)

Me, TehPantz, beeker, Gohan, are all a few players from around here within an hours drive of each other... but yeh I'll write up some more stuff to do here later :p

Ivan

Weeder

Podunk said:
If you're into more rural areas and forests and such, Oregon is really nice :)

Me, TehPantz, beeker, Gohan, are all a few players from around here within an hours drive of each other... but yeh I'll write up some more stuff to do here later :p

Well Oregon is a very beautiful state. It all really depends on what a person likes. It's hard to say whats here and what's not thats fun to see. Everyone has different things they like to do.
Personally i like Hiking so this is one of the best states for that. Go out to the Columbia Gorge and you find lots of great hikes and beautiful sceneries. Also if you like wind surfing or hang gliding(probably too dangerous at the gorge) then this is the spot to go. You always have a nice breeze going through there.

Next thing on the list would be spending a few days in downtown Portland. Night life is amazing. Lots of clubs, bars and great places to eat. Not as great or as big as Las Vegas but still a lot of fun.

The beaches unfortunatly are too cold to really go swimming in or surfing. So if you want to do that you would be better off doing that in Cali.
Take day tour on a train go up to the winery's and taste some wine, see the life outside the cities.

If you Enjoy 4 wheeling then we got that aswell. Lots of great golf courses around too.

Well anyways there are tons of things to do around here. too many to name really or even think about. It really depends on what you like to do.

LAFiN

Tree Surgeon

4 hours easet of San Francisco there is probably the prettiest lake in the whole world, Lake Tahoe. It's on the Nevada border, so there is gaming, good night life, plenty of out-doors stuff to do. (Depending on when you're coming, I might be in that area)

San Francisco is a pretty cool area. Napa (vineyards/wine), head on down to LA, San Diego for surfing. Yosemite Valley is amazing. Never really went out east, but Chicago was fun the time I was there.

Podunk

Head Gardener

LAFiN said:
4 hours easet of San Francisco there is probably the prettiest lake in the whole world, Lake Tahoe. It's on the Nevada border, so there is gaming, good night life, plenty of out-doors stuff to do. (Depending on when you're coming, I might be in that area)

San Francisco is a pretty cool area. Napa (vineyards/wine), head on down to LA, San Diego for surfing. Yosemite Valley is amazing. Never really went out east, but Chicago was fun the time I was there.

Psst Yosemite is on fire right now :p

No-Dachi

Official Helper

Angela said:
I know this might seem a silly question and i know it might be a little bit more expensive but why not hire a car the extra it costs to hire might outway the worry of buying junk that breaks down down the road from the car dealer?

Well, after a bit of research we realized it's be alot cheaper to buy a car than rent one, considering we'll be there for about three months. Besides, when you're under 25 years old it's quite hard to find someone that will rent you a car, let alone at a reasonable price. Also, if we buy a car we wont have to worry about any scratches, dents, or spots on the interior.

Thanks for all the great advice :) I'll note it all down on a block before we go.

I can't possibly think that we'll not go to Ohio, so I'll send you a pm before we leave DR4545. And don't worry Garret, I'll definitely come crashing on your couch for a night or two ;)

harriergirl

Landscape Designer

No-Dachi said:
I can't possibly think that we'll not go to Ohio, so I'll send you a pm before we leave DR4545. And don't worry Garret, I'll definitely come crashing on your couch for a night or two ;)

Woot, finally a reason to clean house :)

yoyo

Planter

Illumination said:
While out west, dont forget to look into Yosemite and Death Valley as well. I would spend a heap of time on the Western Coast..so much to do!

Agreed,

Yosemite is the king of our national parks. do not miss it for the world.

Death Valley and Kings Canyon/Sequoia National park are so close to Yosemite its not funny, so do those too. trees as big skyscrapers! and who could not love staying at Furnace Creek in the middle of the second biggest sink hole in the wrold. ( 20 mule team borax for the win!]

I will agree if on a time constraint, to go the southern route across the country to see all of the above. plus you will be able to visit the Grand Canyon, Meteor Crater, Painted Desert etc etc. it is truely the heart of our wide open expansives without having to look at miles and miles of wheat and corn fields [our other wide open expansives] LOL.

Saints

Harvester

Buy a garmin GPS lol or something its so much better than maps!!!!
i already said this but said it again for its a good idea :p

No-Dachi

Official Helper

A decent GPS system will definitely be one of our first items - perhaps even before a car ;p

Davis

Tree Surgeon

Dude i live like 30 mins away from Garret and harriergirl if i'm not busy and you send me a PM maybe i'll stop by for a bit and meet all of you we could have a mini bushmeet right in Garrets house!