Achron - 4D RTS

CFalcon

Official Helper
This has got to be the most insane game I've ever seen. Completely revolutionizes the traditional RTS. Basically, think C&C-style RTS (build some buildings, gather some resources, make some units, go kill the other guy's buildings), but with time travel!

The idea is you can jump back and forth along the time line and issue orders in the past and future. You can also move units back and forth through time via "chronoports". When things change in the past those changes get propagated along the time line by a 'time wave', so things don't get changed instantly in the present if you change them in the past. It also means that if you create a time paradox (create a unit at a factory, send it back in time and have it destroy the factory before it was created) then rather than that paradox making the game explode, the two paradoxical realities oscillate in the present as past and future actions travel up and down the timeline on time waves.

This makes for some insane tactics. If I have 2 units defending my base and get attacked by 3 units, I can jump back 2 minutes in time, send those 2 units forward in time 2 minutes, and then I'll have 4 units in the present with which to repel the attack *until* the time wave carrying the reality where the two units have disappeared forward in time rather than patrolling my base catches up with the present, at which point my original 2 units will disappear. Mind-boggling!

To stop an infinite regression of opponents sending things further and further back to counter and counter-counter each other, you can only go a max of 3 minutes in the past from the present, and 1 minute into the future. Also, to issue orders in the past or future uses up "chronoenergy", a finite resource, and the further from the present you issue an order the more you use up. So games won't go on for ever and you can't just keep continually going back and countering your opponents moves.

The game won't be properly released until 01/01/2011, apparently, but if you pre-order now (30 dollars) you can download the pre-alpha and demo campaign. It's being made by an independent company and isn't fully completed yet, so the graphics, sound and interface aren't as polished as you'd expect from a major studio, but it works perfectly well and what it lacks in bells and whistles it makes up for in ridiculous tactical depth.

https://www.achrongame.com/site/gameplay-videos.php

If anyone else gets it, let me know, and we'll see if we can get the multiplayer working.

Last edited:

Dimitar

Landscape Designer
While it is totally confusing it also sounds quite amazing :O I'd love to play it

Weeble

Community Manager
Administrator
That does sound epic... if awkward to get your head around at first! Will put it on my watchlist ;-)

Dark_Angel

Landscape Designer
Super Moderator
Community Operator
I'm both interested and confuzzled. Interesting concept.