A channel for a bot to answer basic questions.

A channel for a bot to answer basic questions.

• Yes.

Votes: 8 36.4%
  • No.

Votes: 14 63.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

willymchilybily

Landscape Designer
unrelated to topic. do the bots just read it off best ratios page or log it....if theres a bot that logs it pm me with the log of the assassin ratio from any point in time, because the stat seems to have never existed.

Dimitar

Landscape Designer
would be quite hard(er) to make it read it off straight from forums, so I'd say all the ratios are saved on the bot itself

Cheese

Tree Surgeon
I think what would be a million times better than any bot (this is if we were to make a change) is a public chan e.g. #bushhelp that had the same purpose as #cservice it had several people manning the room and is purely for questions, anybody idling is kicked etc.
And of course put a link 'Live Help' maybe below the 'Live Chat'.

Darryl

Head Gardener
I don't think a #bushhelp is that great an idea. Especially with "kicking idlers".

People who come into #bushtarion and ask for help are welcomed and people try to help them. That's both the helpers in the channel, and the general community. It also goes beyond just the immediate help, and starts to draw players further into the community making them more likely to stay.

If they just join the #bushhelp to get a question answered, either it's answered quickly, and they leave, or the helpers are afk, the question doesn't get answered due to noone else being allowed to idle in there, and they leave, annoyed by how inactive things appear to be.

Helper requests tend to be answered within a tick, and newbies are made to feel right at home in #bush, this is unnecessary, and perhaps even counter-productive.

Cheese

Tree Surgeon
I don't think a #bushhelp is that great an idea. Especially with "kicking idlers".

People who come into #bushtarion and ask for help are welcomed and people try to help them. That's both the helpers in the channel, and the general community. It also goes beyond just the immediate help, and starts to draw players further into the community making them more likely to stay.

If they just join the #bushhelp to get a question answered, either it's answered quickly, and they leave, or the helpers are afk, the question doesn't get answered due to noone else being allowed to idle in there, and they leave, annoyed by how inactive things appear to be.

Helper requests tend to be answered within a tick, and newbies are made to feel right at home in #bush, this is unnecessary, and perhaps even counter-productive.

I wasn't putting it forward as a proper suggestion I was merely saying that it would be 10 times better than some bot.

Harley

Weeder
This topic may not be fully relevant any more but I think this bot would be a great use to the helpers themselves instead. I know that the debate was on opening it up to the public and it seems that may not be the case, how about giving the helpers access to it. It would allow them to gather the answers to people questions without even having to do any research which in turn would greatly speed up the response time on questions.

Just a thought.

Davis

Tree Surgeon
it still wouldn't work due to all the same reasons stated about it being open to the public, this would also contridict the whole reasoning why helpers>bot

penguin

Official Helper
It would take me months to do all of the coding.. and then having an URL to actually put the codes up.. not to mention the help I would need from other mIRC coders to actually get it to do everything.. And other helpers and older players.

Just to state it.. I never once thought about actually putting in a ratio from one unit to the other. I personally don't ever want to take that kind of time to make that so simple for any other player. Also, to answer the question.. the ratios are probably saved on a text document, rather than straight from the forums, and some bots probably have a calc function as well, but I'm not 100% certain on that since I have never seen the code for it.. I was just putting that out there because these codes take time, especially if you want the bot to do complex tasks, like willy.....'s logging the question. Just to give you an example of a code [that does something random.] is this:
on *:TEXT:!hi:#: {
msg $chan Why, hello $nick $+ ! }
-That will return 'Why, hello [to whomever said !hi]!' when someone types in !hi
You could also have it read from a document in the directory.. I'll post my code for the units:
on *:TEXT:!unit*:#: {
var %apple = $read(units.txt,w,$2- $+ *)
if $2- = %apple msg $chan %apple
else msg $chan Sorry, you have entered an invalid unit name, please try again }
-Willy, that's what I was thinking about.. the impatient new people who want their answers right then and there. [Like I mentioned in the first post I made.]
I said I'm going to better my bot regardless of if I have a public channel where people can go for some answers, because I want the information at easy access either way it goes.

Not everyone is nice to new players.. some are, some aren't.. I've seen more of people being mean to new players rather than helping them out than I have seen people be nice to new players with questions about the game, but I do give kudos to those who have helped new people in the past :)

I think Harley's onto something. I could see where that could be of help.. I really can.. have a bot for the helpers and by the helpers.. since the helpers are consisted of a wide range of knowledge, with me, I'm good at basic questions.. while someone like dachi and pin could answer more advanced questions. I don't have a problem with poking one of the other helpers to reply or to verify something for me, but it would be good use for the helpers themselves.. assuming all of the information put into it was almost completely accurate at the least.. The problem with that though - is that only one person can actually put the codes into the bot, since the bot is made with the mIRC client.

I already have the unit stats, tech trees [that need a little bit of work still], a basic harv calc [that's missing it's numbers {damn reset for codes.. making me re-do them all}], and before the codes reset themselves, I was working on basic information [we-worded from the manual into my own] about each route! It's a good bot for quick information that you need in IRC because it was asked there..

But I highly doubt that there will be a bot like that, unless someone actually took the time to write the hundreds of codes [or thousands of lines] to answer questions ranging from basic to advanced, short answers to longer answers to fully detailed answers.. it would probably take me a year and a half to do all of that coding, but someone who knows about the game and has more knowledge than myself on coding could probably do it in half that time.

I really do see the problem with a public room with a bot in there for 24 hours, I can.. and I'm leaning towards it was a bad spark in an idea now.

Cheese

Tree Surgeon
Why the hell did you bother posting like 2 weeks after somebody last posted? And when people have said it's a terrible idea?
Seriously penguin it's a no, it wouldn't work and you really don't know anywhere near enough about the game to put stuff into a bot.
Next time leave a dead threads to DIE!

Unapproved by DA: Reason

Last edited by a moderator:

penguin

Official Helper
I replied because people have asked questions and simply don't get stuff through their heads.

Cheese

Tree Surgeon
I replied because people have asked questions and simply don't get stuff through their heads.

Everybody said no it would be useless.
No you don't have the knowledge of bushtarion to even start anything
It's a stupid idea

Now the last post before your digging up of the dead post was 2 weeks ago. Leave a dead thread alone

Unapproved by DA: Reason

Last edited by a moderator:

Dark_Angel

Landscape Designer
Super Moderator
Community Operator
I personally like the suggestion. I think it would require a great deal of work, as you've already pointed out - but I do think it'd be quite an effective way for people to get information very quickly.

I've always thought it a bit unfair the way top alliances have access to some really rather useful bots, whereas solos and smaller alliances tend to have to go without. As well as providing the user with general-FAQ related material, scripts with specific functionality might also be nice. (If you ask around I'm sure people will pull these out for you, if you go ahead with this)

Last edited:

Dimitar

Landscape Designer
Anything you need is put in a manual, why anyone would need bots is beyond me, it's not like there's information azzer has hidden and only a selected few can find it

Alcibiades

Plant Geneticist
Anything you need is put in a manual, why anyone would need bots is beyond me, it's not like there's information azzer has hidden and only a selected few can find it

I can think of a good many features not covered in enough depth or at all in the manual.

penguin

Official Helper
I personally like the suggestion. I think it would require a great deal of work, as you've already pointed out - but I do think it'd be quite an effective way for people to get information very quickly.

I've always thought it a bit unfair the way top alliances have access to some really rather useful bots, whereas solos and smaller alliances tend to have to go without. As well as providing the user with general-FAQ related material, scripts with specific functionality might also be nice. (If you ask around I'm sure people will pull these out for you, if you go ahead with this)

You hit the nail on the head on why I have started my own bot. I personally have been in low alliances where everyone was like 'OMG, you have a bot?' and I've been in Wildcard with CF's bot. I'm still thinking it through.. I may think it's a bad spark of an idea generally, but if I hone it down and actually think about what's going on and what I would like to do with my bot [To let those who despise this/me know: I'm not even close to where I want my bot to be, or even the general thing, so when I do make my mind up on how I want my bot and what she can do.. it'll be a thought out decision]. I've had a lot of help from other coders/people who have a bot. I do say that I have came across some people that have the scripts, but couldn't tell me why they work :(

I don't just want to have codes, I want to know why they work and which function does each thing.. I want to learn what things do and why they can do them.

I can think of a good many features not covered in enough depth or at all in the manual.

I actually agree with this.. there is some information that I wanted to know/have been asked personally that I actually had to ask an older player the answer.. everything simply isn't in the manual. In fact, while I was looking for more accurate numbers for my harv calc, I could come across no website.. nothing in the manual.. on these particular 8 numbers. Concluding me to use the OLD numbers I have from when I first heard about bobwo. That's just to name one thing that isn't in the manual for everyone to see.

Dimitar

Landscape Designer
Some things are not in the manual probably because they're not meant to be known. As far as I remember it states something like "buy up harvesters until you start getting max seeds". The hidden numbers in bushtarion are what makes the game fun.

I'm not sure a bot can cover those features in depth, I'd rather have a helper explain it. Because, as stated before in this thread, you can ask any questions on IRC, forums, or through the Request Help button and get better answers than you would from a bot

penguin

Official Helper
Personally, I don't see why you're repeating something that Azzer has already explained on page one. - Go back to page one for my response to his comment, if you haven't already.

I did not see "why people need bots is beyond me" comment in your previous comment.. Ask anyone who has a bot why. I don't need a bot, I want a bot to have access to the information at any time - I know the manual is there, but my bot's codes are put into words I can understand as well as a few others who have seen her codes in action. - Also, I still do refer to the manual just as much as my bot - Bots are a good addition to an alliance room and I have found other bots very useful - both when I was introduced to them and even now that I have my own.
My bot idles in the alliance room for whenever someone wants to use the information that is held within her codes/txt documents. I don't feel ashamed of my bot when her codes don't get used, but it's nice knowing that other people would use a bot if they have access to it and would like the line of information rather than a whole screen with all the information there. - I could get into more detail, but I don't wish to waste my time.

No one who has a harv calc knows the exact number because of the exponential loss of seeds factor. I would be quite surprised if anyone has such a calculation to have 'exact numbers'. That's all I'm going to say on that.

I really don't feel I should respond any further to your comment about the manual, because you said everything you need to know is put in the manual [out of context]. And I stated that everything I need to know isn't there, and I can think of multiple things that aren't that will be good to be in there. Besides, that's just a matter of personal opinion on what a player needs to know.

Once again, I do understand what was said before. And I have given my opinion on that.

I wonder why the negative side of everything is always pointed out repeatedly and not just said once. :/

It's alright. I will hone the idea down and then fully explain my idea, so that more of you would actually have what I'm saying in one post in front of your eyes instead of being spread out three pages.

Cheese

Tree Surgeon
As you have clearly ignored 90% of the people posting on here saying this isn't a good idea I will repeat myself specially saying you claim people are ignoring what you put before.
Reasons why this is a bad idea and would never work:
1) We have the manual
2) Live chat takes you to IRC where people can ask REAL people questions and get decent a proper answer
3) We have the helper option where you can specifically ask for help and get a personalised responce quite quickly
4) You have a very basic knowledge of this game and when I was a helper noticed you could only answer the very simplest of questions as a helper so how do you expect to make a bot to cover every question asked?
5) People are going to ask questions in various different grammar how are you going to compensate for this?
6) It's a bad idea
7) It will never work
8) It's a BAD idea

Status
Not open for further replies.