50 not out

Charlie_B

Harvester
Hello everyone,

I've just realised that we're playing through the dying embers of my 50th round. I hope someone's written a song to commemorate the event.

It strikes me that any of the 'old guard' still playing will have changed a lot from who they were when they first signed up to bush. Most of us were youthful students and now presumably have jobs, real lives - perhaps even families?

I've enjoyed the nostalgia of the 'Bush Greats' thread and the two things have got me wondering about all my old friends - where they are and what they're doing now.

So, this thread is your chance to indulge in a bit of shameless self-biography on the off-chance that someone recognises your name and is vaguely interested in what you've been doing since you hilariously wasted all your money on hippies instead of harvesters that time five years ago.

I suppose it's only fair that I should start:

I started playing bush during Year 12 I.T. lessons at college (thanks Zaheen!). I studied bushtarion at university with a minor in Law - in retrospect it should probably have been the other way around. Since then I've been an IT tech, English teacher and for the past few years I've been working for universities helping international students to get visas. I've spent most of my time in Sheffield with interludes in Belgium and Vietnam, but I'm currently living in London.

So, what about you?

Edit: Oh, it's actually my 51st. What a pleasant anti-climax.

Charlie_B

Harvester
Ahoy tobes!

(and apologise to anyone I miss after this - like most of us ghosts I might be back tomorrow or I might go AWOL for months).

Alcibiades

Plant Geneticist
Charlie_B, you lunatic. Lovely to see you briefly. See you again in a few months.

I don't really remember when i started playing, sometime at the end of high school though as I went into university.

I ballsed that up pretty hard, and drifted between restaurants for about 8 or so years - while fragging toby at CoD Modern Warfare. I think I killed him more than anything else productive. I also acquired a reasonably good WoW addiction, and didn't do a lot of school work. (There seems to be a theme here thus far...)

I then got my act together, went to Radio school in 2012, got my degree two years later, and now have a full time job as a news reporter at a radio station in Moncton, New Brunswick. I started there in November of 2014.

I will say it's nice to be doing something I actually enjoy doing. Funny how that works.

My big ole future plans are to continue doing this for some time and either become a national news editor orrrrrrr a politician depending how things roll on from here.

Oh, I also have two cats, and two dogs, a wonderful girlfriend (no she's real, not a blow up doll) and no money but it's a good life. Oh and last winter we got like 16 feet of snow in about 6 weeks. Canada is as rough as people believe. The rumours are true folks, the rumours are true! I basically lived in an igloo, and needed a dogsled to get to work.

Twigley

Hydroponics Developer
I started playing when I was 9/10 years old ... 26 in 2 weeks now lol.

1/2 years later I was behind Franny in an ICT lesson at our school and noticed he was playing the same game. When you think there were 3000 people playing from the 7 billion in the world and it just so happened him and another guy in our same year were both playing ... Mad. After that revelation there were then around 30-40 people from our school playing and i met Cal through Franny.

My mad days of leading alliances were through Uni / early days of my job when i could set an IRC highlight to Franz Ferdinand - This fire while i slept(Which i cant listen to anymore without coming out in a cold sweat) and plan 5am alliance attacks. I got way too absorbed into the game but enjoyed being the bad guy.

I have met a fair few people IRL from bush like Angela / LDA / Tim / Azzer / Zaheen / Charlie_B :D / Rob / Bobbin etc etc etc and i think that needs to happen again!

I graduated with a 2:1 business degree and now live with my girlfriend in our little house :D We have no pets but i want a degu.

I'll probally never be above 5 acres again

No-Dachi

Official Helper
I think I started playing this when I was 13, although I'm not quite sure. It was in junior high, at least. My wake-up call (which I remember I had a script for so it would only work in #ViruS and #ViruS.HC) was Zeromancer - Dr. Online, and like Twigley I cannot listen to it. During my time in ViruS I went by on few hours of sleep, which I think prepped me for my future career: the army.

After high school I did a year in the army, then a year of law, then a year of travelling, before returning to the army. I've done fairly well; got through the military academy as top of the class, and I'm still in the army, although I also have a minor in political science, and a year of psychology. I've got the most beautiful wife, a demanding and cosy cat that came with her, and a bunch of energy coiled up inside a half rottweiler half border collie dog. Last year we even bought a house, so now I'm the proud owner of £350k of debt, a garden that needs way more tending than I care for, and a driveway that somehow seems to attract way more snow than everywhere around it. I regularly get drunk with DaRKGoD and Elgen (for those of you who remember them), and I'm pretty satisfied with where I am and how my life has turned out so far :)

So, next round (or the one after, I'm not sure if I started in r2 or 3) will actually be my fiftieth anniversary..

Nice initiative, Charlie :)

LAFiN

Tree Surgeon
I don't remember what year round 6 was, but that's when I moved from Planetarion to Bush. I think my first HL was At the Drive-In - Enfilade, but over the years I had many as I always got burnt out on them. I think the last time I had an HL it was Deadmau5 - Ghosts and Stuff (epic song, but it still gives me nightmares).

I met up with Zane one time in Lake Tahoe way back when. I've also visited Podunk and TehPantz for a round start some years back. Those two are some goofy guys, but awesome.

Now days I work for the Post Office in my hometown. No wife, no kids, no pets, but a few ladies to keep me company. Still living in the most beautiful area in the US (IMO, Lake Tahoe, CA/NV). Started brewing my own beer a couple years back, and now I'm also an avid disc golfer and frequently play tournaments.

tobapopalos

Hydroponics Developer

Alcibiades

Plant Geneticist
while fragging toby at CoD Modern Warfare. I think I killed him more than anything else productive.

It should be noted that all these fraggings occurred when we were on the same team, just so people don't get the wrong idea.

Oh yeah. Totally. I didn't mean to give the wrong impression. I am terrible at games.

It was still fun though :p

There was also that time we played.... ****, some racing car game, and I kept running into you with like a quarter million pound Koenigsegg racecar. That was a one off embarrassment. After that we just stuck to me accidentally killing you in MW

Benneh

Tree Surgeon
Super Moderator
while fragging toby at CoD Modern Warfare. I think I killed him more than anything else productive.

It should be noted that all these fraggings occurred when we were on the same team, just so people don't get the wrong idea.

Oh yeah. Totally. I didn't mean to give the wrong impression. I am terrible at games.

It was still fun though :p

There was also that time we played.... ****, some racing car game, and I kept running into you with like a quarter million pound Koenigsegg racecar. That was a one off embarrassment. After that we just stuck to me accidentally killing you in MW

Iirc I played CoD with both of you :) fun times.

'Tiger'

Landscape Designer
I played with Toby and Twiglet I think...Ofc I was the better player, just like Fifa.

9-0 Twigley, remember that?

Twigley

Hydroponics Developer
9? I thought it was 10. Or was that the next one which I beat you 10-1. Noobiger

CLem

Head Gardener
I also remember playing CoD with some of you guys. Remember Toby was pretty good and Benneh was shocking :p

'Tiger'

Landscape Designer
9? I thought it was 10. Or was that the next one which I beat you 10-1. Noobiger

You beat me 9-0...then 10-1. I feel it was an outstanding effort by me.

But now everyone has a Xbox One and not a PS4...no more CoD games!

tobapopalos

Hydroponics Developer

I know I joined a clan with you on...Black Ops 2? I think? And they were honestly the worst players I've ever seen. And then they turned out to be racist ****s as well, and that was when I sold the game.

Damn I miss playing games with you guys :(

Benneh

Tree Surgeon
Super Moderator

I know I joined a clan with you on...Black Ops 2? I think? And they were honestly the worst players I've ever seen. And then they turned out to be racist ****s as well, and that was when I sold the game.

Damn I miss playing games with you guys :(

Yeah, they were a bunch of tossers, the best clan I've ever been apart of was on COD4. May have been BO2 with you and maybe mw3? I can't remember myself, I have gotten rid of all consoles as right now I just don't have the time to play them.

CLem? I've played with you? Remind me of your gamertag? Oh, and I hope you mean shocking as in absolutely awesome, I beast CoD games :p ;)

CLem

Head Gardener
Game tag was CLem_the_Ho, think it was back in MW days when running around stabbing people was way OP