Sharing Music

WackyJacky

Head Gardener
I've got a large amount of music that my friend has requested. Is there a way to upload all the songs online (easily/quickly) so that he can download them (on a Mac if that makes a difference)? I'd rather not burn a ton of Audio or Data CDs.

Dark_Angel

Landscape Designer
Super Moderator
Community Operator
Short answer - Not really.

I'm guessing by "discs and discs" you mean you have a good few gigs of data you want to make accessible to your friend. It would take literally days on even a half decent upload speed to get that kind of data on a server (from your PC). Then your friend would have to individually download each file - or download the entire lot if you compress it all into one.

Burning DVDs, or copying the files to a USB drive, are really your only choices.

atsanjose

Landscape Designer
Super Moderator
dvd's have 4,7gig cap. thats like 1000 songs...

anyways i once shared a movie from arround 600mb with a friend over msnmssgr :D at arround 200kb/s and that was like 8 years ago so dont know if that **** has increased :p

but like da says, save yourself the hassle. buy dvd's and burn them or usb drive.

Hobbezak

Garden Designer
As far as I can see it:
1. If either of you has a laptop: Go over to the other guys house, attach the pc's to eachother via a cross cable, and share superduperfast.
2. If either of you has some USB devices (smartphone, mp3-player, external harddrive), you can transfer it via that device.
3. Create an FTP-server on your pc, and share it via FTP.

Arranged it from fastest to slowest.

timtadams

Landscape Designer
tell him to buy a portable HDD?

but yeah, how many gigs are we talking about.

And if not HDD, if either of you have a laptop, just link up computers via ethernet cable and transfer. (u just gotta set the IP so it works, and share the folders on a network. Well thats how i do it. Alternatively, DC plus plus.

Davis

Tree Surgeon
are all the songs in itunes? and if so does he have itunes?

WackyJacky

Head Gardener
out of curiosity, how many gigs are we talking bout here?

About 7.

As far as I can see it:
2. If either of you has some USB devices (smartphone, mp3-player, external harddrive), you can transfer it via that device.

Arranged it from fastest to slowest.

Wouldn't that be pretty slow? Putting 20 songs on my droid takes about a minute/2 and that's not even close to a gig.

And if not HDD, if either of you have a laptop, just link up computers via ethernet cable and transfer. (u just gotta set the IP so it works, and share the folders on a network. Well thats how i do it. Alternatively, DC plus plus.

uhhhhh? Sounds pretty confusing/might be out of my tech scope.

are all the songs in itunes? and if so does he have itunes?

Yes and yes.

Dark_Angel

Landscape Designer
Super Moderator
Community Operator
7 gigs = max 2 DVDs :p (or one dual layer)

Alternatively, get an 8gb USB drive - they're very cheap nowadays.

Transferring that amount of data to the drive wouldn't take very long at all - (Its taking forever with your droid because the data has to go through your phone as its read by the PC - if you have a very high capacity memory card you could remove it and use an SD? adapter to plug it into a card reader - Drastically improving your data transfer rate.

timtadams

Landscape Designer

uhhhhh? Sounds pretty confusing/might be out of my tech scope.

If either of you dont have a USB drive of portable/external HDD and dont want to buy one I will outline it anyway. You would need an ethernet cable however.

This is how I would do it on XP

make sure both computers are on same Workgroup. So right click 'My Computer' > 'properties' > 'Computer name'. Here you will see the 'Workgroup'. If different, change one by clicking 'change' at bottom. Once you have changed Workgroup so it is same as the other computer, click OK. You will be prompted to restart. do it

1. connect computers via cable
2. go to: 'Network connections' > right click 'Local Area Connection' > 'Properties' > scroll to bottom and click 'Internet Protocol (TCP/IP)' > click 'properties' below >
3. click 'use the following IP address:' >
set IP: 10.0.0.1
press tab, subnet mask will be 255.0.0.0
Default Gateway: 10.0.0.1
click OK

Do the same on other computer, but set IP to 10.0.0.2 (default gateway is same ie 10.0.0.1)

Right click folder containing songs >
click 'Sharing and Security' >
check 'Share this folder on the network' >
click OK

On friends computer, go to 'My Network Places'. Folder should be there
Copy Paste
done

Of course it would be easier to use external storage media

Steve_God

Official Helper
out of curiosity, how many gigs are we talking bout here?

About 7.

8Gb Memory Stick = £10
Would take no more than 5 minutes to copy the music over.
Also means you can re-use it after.
Sorted! :)

Another option if you're lothed to do that, is to share the folder over MSN Messenger, and set it to sync with your mate, then leave your comps on for a couple of hours, and bingo!