Final Fantasy XIII

tomtree

Head Gardener
How is there no thread for this?! (at least if there is I'm being blind)

well I'm about 16 hours in and I love it! Yes it's been stripped down and is a little simplistic, and the spoonfeed you new features so slowly as if you're a retard! But that aside the gameplay and storyline is brilliant!

Anyone else playing it? What do you think of it?

Azzer

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
There's been quite a few players that keep tagging themselves in IRC with "|FF13" so there's definitely quite a lot that are playing it - what I keep hearing though is it's actually a bit boring/linear/repetitive.... haven't played it myself I have to say, but that's the word on the grapevine :p

tomtree

Head Gardener
It is indeed very linear, but then againg final fantasy has alwas been pretty linear. And some battles do get a bit repetitive. But I personally love the storyline and as far as I'm concerned that's almost the most important thing! And I hardly think the game as a whole is boring! It follows the normal final fantasy mould but they have stripped it down to make it appeal to a wider audience, and while this is I'm some aspects a good thing I would agree with those who say they have over simplified it.

Though all of that said, I still think it's great and am really enjoying it at the moment.

pinpower

Landscape Designer
Super Moderator
Rented this and im about 11 hours in (just got past "Odin") ;)

For the first 2 hours i was pretty bored...its mind numbingly linear and during those first 2-3 hours all you are doing is running down the only corridor then hitting X about 5 times without even having to look really...then running on. Now ive got further in and there's more levelling up/customization its alot better. Still annoyingly linear and slightly repetitive but i think overall the game is pretty good...i do feel myself getting slightly addicted as i was up til 3am last night playing.

I'd definitely say its a rental though!

Mattheus

Head Gardener
Yeah I have it. Haven't had a huge amount of time to play it yet, I'm in that crystal lake type place.

So far I'm liking it. I'm a little concerned with the battle system though. So far 99% of all the battles I encounter I can just spam auto-command (or whatever it was called) and it will win me the fight easily with 5 stars. Now that the paradigm shift ability has been introduced that's opened up a few more tactical possibilities, but now I can just spam auto-command and paradigm shift every now and then when needed and win fights easily with 5 stars. Hell the way the characters move around it's a bit of a clusterf*ck on the screen, makes it a little hard to tell what's going on sometimes...just makes auto command even more of a better choice.

For people who are further in to the game...Is it just this dumbed down in the early stages? Or is it just more of the same shallow battle system to look forward to?
Another question.How do I unlock more abilties in that crystal thing system? I've already unlocked most abilities and upgrades on my characters. But it says commando level 1 or something like that, how do I get that to level 2? I thought maybe I'd have to unlock all the crystals in that particular role, but have done that and still nothing. Maybe this will all be explained in another future tutorial (you weren't lying tomtree, they really ease you in to this bit by bit :p)

Anyway will post more when I've played more!

tomtree

Head Gardener
Mattheus;

as far as the battles go; yes, they get much more interesting, and many of the battles you need to reguarly switch paradigms in order to survive. i do reguarly just spam auto-battle, but thats only after using the tecnique called libra which tells you what the enemies weaknesses are and your team automatically responds to that info. though you will also find that in some battles you need to take control fully yourself due to the the enemies being rather tough or sometimes you just think you can do it better yourself.

also the star ratings in the battles that appear to be irrelavent atm do become more important later as the better your rating the more you charge up your TP which allows you to use tecniques like libra that i mentioned and summoning special allies a bit like in FFX if you played that and remember?

The crystal leveling up system expands as you get further into the game at specific points meaning that there is little point hoarding SP points. you may aswell spend them pretty much as you get them because you will have plenty again by the time you expand to the next level.

hope that helps, and just to say that im about just over 16 hours in and i think that so far the game has got better the further in you get! especially the storyline!!

Dark_Angel

Landscape Designer
Super Moderator
Community Operator
My view on the game is basically this.

Yes its linear, and that is going to be problematic for people who have encountered the vast, sandbox-y worlds of Oblivion, Mass effect, Just cause, to name but a few.

But what is the purpose of a sandbox type game that has multiple paths you can take in order to complete the game? Presumably a large part of it is to give you the chance to craft your own, more enjoyable story.

I think what final fantasy says, basically, is screw your story. We have an awesome one that we assure you you're going to like. So have a bit of patience and let yourself get carried away by our version of how our story should go.

I found myself a little suffocated by the lack of free-roam gameplay to begin with (I believe this opens up later on) But you very quickly realise that the developers want to get you familiar with the story, and the combat system, before you go roaming off by yourself.

The graphics on a HD screen are nothing short of mind-blowing. Truly beautiful use of colours puts games like gears of war and modern warfare to shame, with their predictable use of dirty-grey tones. Final fantasy 13 makes use of vibrant colours that really light up the screen, you'll find yourself stopping during gameplay just to marvel at some of the surroundings.

The only real thing about the game is the battle system, which is basically a love-hate thing. People who are massive fans of games like God of War, perhaps Devil May Cry, may find themselves a bit frustrated by the lack of button-bashing madness those games have to offer.

Final fantasy is about telling your characters what moves to perform, rather than doing them yourself. The result is a game that requires more thought/strategy than rapid button bashing and combos.

Well worth a go - A degree of patience is a must, though.

-

For people who are further in to the game...Is it just this dumbed down in the early stages? Or is it just more of the same shallow battle system to look forward to?
The first 10 hours or so (I know :( ) are sadly very slow paced as far as the battle system is concerned. Things do, however, pick up >10 hours - You'll find yourself having to think fast to prevent your party wiping. I think the problem here is that the developers are over-accommodating for less experienced gamers who perhaps take a little longer to pick up the basics. Rest assured, things do get more challenging further on. It'll get to a stage where you'll need to wipe at least a couple of times to realise certain tactics for certain bosses.

Another question.How do I unlock more abilties in that crystal thing system? I've already unlocked most abilities and upgrades on my characters. But it says commando level 1 or something like that, how do I get that to level 2? I thought maybe I'd have to unlock all the crystals in that particular role, but have done that and still nothing. Maybe this will all be explained in another future tutorial (you weren't lying tomtree, they really ease you in to this bit by bit :p)
From what I've experienced so far you gain access to more abilities/higher levels as you progress through the story rather than through battle. For example I recently beat a boss (@ 11hours-ish) the post-battle screen informed me I'd gained access to a lot more abilities.

-

edit - Also, with regards to previous posts that suggest battle is repetitive, it should be pointed out that a lot of battles can be easily avoided if you simply can't be arsed fighting certain mobs. A lot of them you can run straight past with ease, the mobs will stop following you fairly quickly.

Last edited:

Mattheus

Head Gardener
tomtree, I haven't played any of the final fantasy games past the PS1, so FF9 was my last, so some of these things are all rather new o.0

As for DA, I kinda agree on the whole linearity thing, I never really liked oblivion/mass effect/fallout etc, always preferred the final fantasy type games, even if they are sometimes more linear.