Portal

Enrico

Tree Surgeon
well, right now DA with 6 members is 2/3's of the value of the ally above with 13 members... which is better?

And what is the problem with having 100 portal spots with 600 players? Portal is just a snapshot of the round, the "prize" is in ranking at the top... imho.

I could care less if the portal page ranked everyone who played for at least 1000 ticks or whatnot... How would that reduce my accomplishment (my rank) in any way?

Alcibiades

Plant Geneticist
I can't help but feel like you're missing the point.

Portal is not a 'snapshot of the round' as so many people seem to think. It is a record of the 'best of the best'.

If you want a snapshot of the round, make something called 'round history' or 'round nostalgia' because Portal is for those who were the best.

If you want to be in Portal, try your damndest to get there, and if there are fewer spots, there is more competition, and people try harder to get an honour (otherwise known as a Portal spot).

CrimsonFury88

Harvester

Portal is not a 'snapshot of the round' as so many people seem to think. It is a record of the 'best of the best'.

If you want a snapshot of the round, make something called 'round history' or 'round nostalgia' because Portal is for those who were the best.

If you want to be in Portal, try your damndest to get there, and if there are fewer spots, there is more competition, and people try harder to get an honour (otherwise known as a Portal spot).

And equally so, if you want a "best of the best", make something called the " 'I-take-the-game-too-seriously Board", for over-active score queens and put three spots on there for all of the overly competitive people to fight over.

You already have the top 100, atleast give some of the "less active, less ftw" players the chance to strive for SOMETHING.

TaO

Tree Surgeon

And equally so, if you want a "best of the best", make something called the " 'I-take-the-game-too-seriously Board", for over-active score queens and put three spots on there for all of the overly competitive people to fight over.

You already have the top 100, atleast give some of the "less active, less ftw" players the chance to strive for SOMETHING.

So everyone who puts effort into being 1 of the better people in this is in your words. "A sad lifeless person".
Its a game, people who like a game play the game alot more then others.
People who put effort into a game and are willing to achieve something should be rewarded for what they did.
Inactive people that just sneek into a portal spot because of lack of playerbase is just a waste of bits on the server.

The portal used to be top 15 players, top 5 alliances iirc back in the old days when there was less people playing.
Then when the game got populated Azzer decided to make the portal top 100 and top 15 alliances
But then there was over a few 1,000 people palying the game.
Compare that with now just 500 players.

CrimsonFury88

Harvester

So everyone who puts effort into being 1 of the better people in this is in your words. "A sad lifeless person".
Its a game, people who like a game play the game alot more then others.
People who put effort into a game and are willing to achieve something should be rewarded for what they did.
Inactive people that just sneek into a portal spot because of lack of playerbase is just a waste of bits on the server.

The portal used to be top 15 players, top 5 alliances iirc back in the old days when there was less people playing.
Then when the game got populated Azzer decided to make the portal top 100 and top 15 alliances
But then there was over a few 1,000 people palying the game.
Compare that with now just 500 players.

A sad lifeless person? Not at all. I was referring to the fact that people take it far too seriously (Though it could well be argued as being sad). I've seen some pretty dire stories of people sacrificing real-life stuff to send defence, or something of that ilk.

If you make it -even more competitive- to make the portal, do you not think that will drive even more players away - when you consider how seriously the top 5 or so alliances take the game?

I can't believe how some of you "top players" are so disrespectful to some of the other players out there. Is it any wonder they leave? There's too much of an "us and them" community here. If you want to be active, be active. But that doesn't mean you should target those that have RL commitments.

If somebody can only make 2-3 hours activity a day because of work, life, social commitments etc.. Should we hold that against them? No we shouldnt. If they play for 2-3 hours a day as a solo, and make the top 100, well done to them. Now stop being such a tool.

If you're so worried about a playerbase, start promoting the game rather than whining about it to the others. Either that, or go and play a different game.

tobapopalos

Hydroponics Developer
You have insinuated several times, not just in this thread, that people who play the game actively are sad, pathetic people who aren't even worthy of your consideration, and then you claim WE are the ones being dismissive?

Those people are the ones keeping the game alive, not the ones playing 2 minutes a day. If the game is going to survive there needs to be more competition. This isn't just some selfish whim I'm talking about here. Without those highly active players the game would just die, so we need to keep them playing, and playing competitively.

By all means play on 2-3 hours a day. I've done it myself and had fun. But don't expect to finish in portal. If you're managing to finish top 100 with 2 hour a day activity then the logical conclusion would be that portal is too easy.

And please, don't act like you care so much about this game and we don't. We like this game. That's why we play it. That's also why I'm trying to reduce portal size.

And who says we haven't promoted it? I've told friends about it and tried to get them to start playing, so please get down from your high horse and shove it up your arse.

CrimsonFury88

Harvester
You have insinuated several times, not just in this thread, that people who play the game actively are sad, pathetic people who aren't even worthy of your consideration, and then you claim WE are the ones being dismissive?

Those people are the ones keeping the game alive, not the ones playing 2 minutes a day. If the game is going to survive there needs to be more competition. This isn't just some selfish whim I'm talking about here. Without those highly active players the game would just die, so we need to keep them playing, and playing competitively.

By all means play on 2-3 hours a day. I've done it myself and had fun. But don't expect to finish in portal. If you're managing to finish top 100 with 2 hour a day activity then the logical conclusion would be that portal is too easy.

And please, don't act like you care so much about this game and we don't. We like this game. That's why we play it. That's also why I'm trying to reduce portal size.

And who says we haven't promoted it? I've told friends about it and tried to get them to start playing, so please get down from your high horse and shove it up your arse.

For the sake of the integrity of this thread, I'm not commenting further.

Purely on the grounds that the "established player ring" will descend into it's typical cycle of supporting one another to the hilt, on reputation alone.

If you'd like to continue this conversation like an adult, please feel free to discuss it with me using the private message function, rather than telling me to stick things in places.

-end.

Twigley

Hydroponics Developer

Comments more and trolls the same people again.

Grats on using a lame techniqute of dismiising someone elses opinion and throwing a fit.

As for portal.
Who even cares about it apart from maybe top 30 players and top 5 allies, but its still nice to look through the top 100 every round end and see who played each id. Thats the main reason i ever look at it, to see who played and whos id was who.
I doubt fixing it so that less alliances can portal would increase competition.
The reason for no competition lies in other areas.

CrimsonFury88

Harvester

Comments more and trolls the same people again.

Grats on using a lame techniqute of dismiising someone elses opinion and throwing a fit.

As for portal.
Who even cares about it apart from maybe top 30 players and top 5 allies, but its still nice to look through the top 100 every round end and see who played each id. Thats the main reason i ever look at it, to see who played and whos id was who.
I doubt fixing it so that less alliances can portal would increase competition.
The reason for no competition lies in other areas.

I wasn't diverting the issue, if you actually read my post you would see that I asked tobapopalos to speak to me in PM about the matter if he so wishes to, rather than letting this flamewar continue.

Would really like to understand how you can establish somebodies actions/tone from words on a screen. "Throwing a fit", don't make me laugh.

I thought you'd quit anyway Twiglet? -.-

If you're gonna do something, stand by it.

Dax

Hydroponics Developer
Just because someone thinks finishing top 100 is awesome, does not mean they deserve a portal rank.

I disagree, it's a footstep onto the ladder of the onwards and upwards for people applying successfully for higher ranking alliances. Very few finish straight off in the top100. I only did it by pure fluke and good luck. I've noticed an extremely elitist opinion within these forums. That is my opinion, but maybe the reason new people aren't sticking around is due to this? The lack of new regular users of these forums also? I don't know. But I do not believe it to be coincidence.

Alcibiades

Plant Geneticist

We have that 'board' already. It's called portal. I'd have thought you'd have understood that by now. :(

Purely on the grounds that the "established player ring" will descend into it's typical cycle of supporting one another to the hilt, on reputation alone

Bollocks. The establish player ring, that you're so conspiracy theorist about generally does not exist. What we have are a few players who are active on forums who have a similar view on things (and dissimilar views about many other topics) who support each other because we feel we are right. I'm not supporting toby on reputation alone, it's because his opinion coincides almost entirely with mine, and i feel obliged to support him. That's (supposedly) what discussion is all about.

I wasn't diverting the issue, if you actually read my post you would see that I asked tobapopalos to speak to me in PM about the matter if he so wishes to, rather than letting this flamewar continue.

This is a public thread, where you have started a rather fearsome discussion (or at least been a major focal, and vocal, part of it). So it behooves you to maintain your argument in public, or concede defeat. This isn't a flamewar, it's two groups with differing opinions on ingame mechanics. But if you wish to abdicate your position and admit you're incorrect by fleeing to PM, then so be it!

Just because someone thinks finishing top 100 is awesome, does not mean they deserve a portal rank.

I disagree, it's a footstep onto the ladder of the onwards and upwards for people applying successfully for higher ranking alliances. Very few finish straight off in the top100. I only did it by pure fluke and good luck. I've noticed an extremely elitist opinion within these forums. That is my opinion, but maybe the reason new people aren't sticking around is due to this? The lack of new regular users of these forums also? I don't know. But I do not believe it to be coincidence.

If you bother to check my finishing ranks, I very rarely finish, or finished in the top 100, so i'm definitely not speaking from personal desire to be recorded in portal. If you wish for my personal opinion on the subject, i think portal is silly, and to aim for that is little more than achieving scorequeen status; but that's irrelevant. Those players who are on the portal are the best at keeping land/score in the game, for whatever reasons. That 50 of those players barely did anything other than play a few hours a day at best, and still retain a spot in the '100 top players of the round' board is just a farce to me.

There is an elitist opinion within these forums, but i'm sure you'll see that in every single game ever made. Those who are better/more experienced will treat those newer players with a bit of condescension. It's natural, it might not be utopia, but it's going to happen. Anywho, I survived my newbie status here, as did many others. I can't help but think that elitist opinion is only a minor cause of people leaving, whereas gameplay problems, general player attitudes (not related to elitism) are the real major causes of players leaving.

If you want a 'footstep' on the ladder of success, that's what your profiles are for. When you make public your IDs from that round, it shows your improvement (or lack thereof) and that's what player achievement are for as well. Difference of opinion and all that, mine just happens to be right! ;) (for those of you a little dense, that was a joke)

EDIT: Just double checked my personal profile: Portalled 3 times out of 19 registered IDs.

Last edited:

CrimsonFury88

Harvester

We have that 'board' already. It's called portal. I'd have thought you'd have understood that by now. :(

Purely on the grounds that the "established player ring" will descend into it's typical cycle of supporting one another to the hilt, on reputation alone

Bollocks. The establish player ring, that you're so conspiracy theorist about generally does not exist. What we have are a few players who are active on forums who have a similar view on things (and dissimilar views about many other topics) who support each other because we feel we are right. I'm not supporting toby on reputation alone, it's because his opinion coincides almost entirely with mine, and i feel obliged to support him. That's (supposedly) what discussion is all about.

If he makes a point that he agrees with, then why not just say "I agree" rather than making overblown remarks to sound all high and mighty, and to further condemn somebody who you disagree with?

I sure feel incredibly welcome on these boards :roll:

Alcibiades

Plant Geneticist
I'm long winded. Anyone on here can tell you that.

You are welcome here, but you must be prepared for those who disagree with you to do so with as much vim and vigour as they wish. I should also welcome you to the internet, while you're here :)

Dax

Hydroponics Developer
If you bother to check my finishing ranks, I very rarely finish, or finished in the top 100, so i'm definitely not speaking from personal desire to be recorded in portal. If you wish for my personal opinion on the subject, i think portal is silly, and to aim for that is little more than achieving scorequeen status; but that's irrelevant. Those players who are on the portal are the best at keeping land/score in the game, for whatever reasons. That 50 of those players barely did anything other than play a few hours a day at best, and still retain a spot in the '100 top players of the round' board is just a farce to me.

There is an elitist opinion within these forums, but i'm sure you'll see that in every single game ever made. Those who are better/more experienced will treat those newer players with a bit of condescension. It's natural, it might not be utopia, but it's going to happen. Anywho, I survived my newbie status here, as did many others. I can't help but think that elitist opinion is only a minor cause of people leaving, whereas gameplay problems, general player attitudes (not related to elitism) are the real major causes of players leaving.

If you want a 'footstep' on the ladder of success, that's what your profiles are for. When you make public your IDs from that round, it shows your improvement (or lack thereof) and that's what player achievement are for as well. Difference of opinion and all that, mine just happens to be right! (for those of you a little dense, that was a joke)

Please note I wasn't pointing the finger, it was a generalised statement.
But I've missed portal twice by the matter of ten ranks, when I have played solidly as an alliance member, as a defender and attacker. Last round I finally got a portal logged on my profile since restarting after my last break. It was maybe a little refreshing to fill that portalicious spot :p
I still enjoy this game regardless of attitude, I have encountered very few I would honestly say I'd never play with, and progressively more of the core players of this game are being exposed to myself again. x]
I've done my bit by leading a newbie rank 21 ally to rank 8 over the alliance I began the round with. They are now happily gallivanting around the rank 3/4/5/6 ally rank region. :) Teaching people new things is rewarding!

Davs

Garden Designer

Purely on the grounds that the "established player ring" will descend into it's typical cycle of supporting one another to the hilt, on reputation alone.

If you'd like to continue this conversation like an adult, please feel free to discuss it with me using the private message function, rather than telling me to stick things in places.

-end.

I'm going to be blunt. You're a tool.

Fairplay not agreeing with what toby has to say, but all of the comments you've made give me the impression that either you didn't read anything toby had to say, or you simply don't understand what he's said (and tried to explain several times).

You want competition in the game to increase? Make it harder for your rank to be saved on portal - thus people try harder and the competition within the game becomes more fierce and thus more interesting/fun for those playing. As a result, people may be less inclined to leave and more likely to try to recruit newcomers. If after all of this time you still can't see that this was the general idea toby was trying to put across (as far as I can tell), then you shouldn't have said anything in the first place.

Simple general rule to follow in a discussion, try to understand your opponent before trying to make a counter-argument.

CrimsonFury88

Harvester
Mods - The "people" have spoken.

Lock the thread and/or re-create it so we can have less of a "post about CrimsonFury"-esque discussion.

Now where was that "eThug" picture...

Davs

Garden Designer
ethug_572.jpg