• Those wishing to contribute to the game by making suggestions (both small and large) should read the following before doing so.

Bushtarion largely runs completely automatically, and has been designed intentionally to be as self-maintaining as possible, with mechanics and balance considered at a completed point.

Please do not spend large amounts of time coming up with complex suggestions in the hope that they will be read and possibly implemented in the future, unless you just enjoy the discussion, theory-craft, and such.

The most likely changes will be rules-changes, specific number-tweaks to units, techs, and similar sorts of changes, and only if a large community consensus is reached as "proof" that a change would, overall, be an improvement, and are more likely to be done in batches, occassionally, not as a regular thing.

New Seed Group

Jonny

Weeder
I had two suggestions but I forgot one:p
Anyways, I thought it would be interesting if there was a new seed group that you could not get from acres, but had to buy. That you can still grow and in sunny weather will make a very small profit, but in sunny with clouds already loses. I suppose you could also adjust the prices for the current seeds to make this work but that would have other issues. Im thinking this new idea could either be used:

In a version which on average will make a small loss or break even:
-As a sort of gambling thing to pass the time
-If you are close to a new dev, you could risk some of your wealth since if you win you could start a new dev.

In a version which on average will make a small gain:
-As a source of income. In this version the seeds would either have to be extremely cheap or take more gardeners than other seeds to grow. This could be a great source of income for routes weak on offense, after all, how much wealth are you prepared to have sitting around as cash and inns for a little more income?

One of the reasons I think it would be fitting is that in its core I see bushtarion as a mixture between a war game and a gardening game, but right now the war part is much more important. I'm thinking players could set themselves into 3 different directions: Bountyhunters with few inns but a lot of lethals and below average land, Normal with a mixture between troups and inns with a lot of land and Investors with a lot of inns rather few troops and average land(above average is difficult with the lack of normal aggressive troops, but thanks to the inns its still possible to flak some players).

Problems I see, are that it may make it easier for the top Alliance to stay on top. On the other have if they put all their money into inns and seeds, maybe resistances will have better chances?
One Solution would be to have "government protection" on these seeds, so the top 50 or so players can't buy the seeds because the government "doesn't like monopolies which could endanger their own power over the world."

I can see plenty of reasons why it shouldn't be implemented (plenty of more important things, game is already complicated enough,...) but I thought I'd post it anyways since it seemed like a creative idea which might lead to more ideas:D

f0xx

Landscape Designer
So, let me see if I understand this correnctly - you are suggesting that we buy an amount of seeds for certain price X and after we grow those seeds in perfect weather and sell them we would get Y funds, which Y funds would be more than the initial X we have spend.

I.e, that basicly means one can generate income without the need of land (I can already see DS supporting this)?

CFalcon

Official Helper
I like the thinking behind opening up more income options. The current system is pretty rigid and simple, almost a formality.

I'm not sure your particular suggestion does it for me though. It rewards activity, and it rewards having large amounts of disposable funds to invest (ie being high ranked and land fat). Neither of these things are really what the game needs to encourage right now.

Nice idea and interesting direction though :)

Steve_God

Official Helper
Having re-read the suggestion a few times, I've adapted it to give an idea that 'could' work, but without it being something that has the downfalls that CFalcon has mentioned:

A land type where the seed return is unpredictable.
Over the entire year, it would produce more (as an average) than the others, however it's production rate would be completely irrational!
Some ticks you would get next to nothing, other ticks you might get several hours worth of income at once! Very unpredictable, wouldn't be able to rely on it for constant income incase you had a few days where it was a constant 'bad patch'.

It also wouldn't get abused as it would be so unreliable, that very few would dare using it at the start of the round due to the its unreliability.
It would also require constantly having an excess of harvestors at all times so that when the major influx of seeds is produced, that they can actually be harvested!

Not sure if something like that would be codeable though?
*looks at Azzer*

Steve_God

Official Helper
So, Steve has completely changed the original suggestion into something even more useless.
Go back to your negative corner f0xx :p lol

The original suggestion was for a new seed type that would be a 'bit of a gamble, and risky...

His suggestion had a few flaws that could (and would) be easily abused, as you quite so helpfully pointed out f0xx ;)
(not to mention the one that wasn't mentioned about government protected seeds...)

My alternative suggestion keeps in mind the 'gamble and risk' factor, but in a way where, from what I can see, it would be less open to abuse.

Dafydd

Pruner
The seed / land system hasn't been changed in ages.

Does that mean it clearly works, or desperately needs a change?

How about a land type where the seeds can be grown more effectively in poor weather? Not a radical change, but a bit different?

On a different note, how about biological war fare - developing land which inhibits the growth of the other ones, like a weed, for a limited timeframe? ;) (Just wanted to add, the smiley face indicates the joking nature of this point)

Last edited:

Dafydd

Pruner
It's not a radical change by any means, but it does add a degree of variety to the game. Early on, overloading on 'Sun' plants or 'Rain' plants is something people would then have to think about.
Maybe you it could be the potato, as that will grow anywhere, and it loves British weather, so it must like the rain.

Along a similar tact, perhaps increase the seasonal variation of the current stock of land; make trees standard, and make the others extremely lucrative in their own season, and not so outside of it. This is the case now ofc, but I mean to a much larger extent, and ofcourse, Tree's would have to be inhibited otherwise they woul be the natural choice.

Jonny

Weeder
I'm not sure your particular suggestion does it for me though. It rewards activity, and it rewards having large amounts of disposable funds to invest (ie being high ranked and land fat). Neither of these things are really what the game needs to encourage right now.

I think it being a "Government Owned Resource" would be a solution. Players in the Top 50 would not be able to use this resource (as a result it would be easier instead of harder to reshuffle the top) and you have to "apply" for the seeds. Applying for the seeds would mean you pay for the seeds up front but have to wait a certain amount of ticks until you get them. The duration could be long (I would suggest anywhere from 2 hours to a day) and despite your money being gone during this time the score will stay, so the players will have to make a decision, are they prepared to risk having a high score with low troops for a little extra cash? This would solve both the activity and powerblock flaws.

Nice idea and interesting direction though :)

Thx, I realise my suggestion might not be the best, but somehow adding options on income would make the game a lot more interesting in my opinion. I wouldn't even mind if it were in the form of something ridiculous, like say, an in game stock market:p.

Jonny

Weeder
How about a land type where the seeds can be grown more effectively in poor weather? Not a radical change, but a bit different?

I kinda like this idea for some reason(the one with bio warfare was funny too:D) The problem I see if its just a land type, is that it will be irrelevant as soon as you get to the point you no longer buy land, as who cares what land they are getting as long as they get it?

Dafydd

Pruner
During the flak wars, Jonny, you need every single penny you can get, and therefore, it would be crucial. Later on in the game, 50k land is 50k land I grant you, but then flak wars - mid round - late round, each is in itself, almost a distinctly different game (or was.)