• Those wishing to contribute to the game by making suggestions (both small and large) should read the following before doing so.

Bushtarion largely runs completely automatically, and has been designed intentionally to be as self-maintaining as possible, with mechanics and balance considered at a completed point.

Please do not spend large amounts of time coming up with complex suggestions in the hope that they will be read and possibly implemented in the future, unless you just enjoy the discussion, theory-craft, and such.

The most likely changes will be rules-changes, specific number-tweaks to units, techs, and similar sorts of changes, and only if a large community consensus is reached as "proof" that a change would, overall, be an improvement, and are more likely to be done in batches, occassionally, not as a regular thing.

A dedicated flak unit

callum828

Planter
[
As Tana has already said, it's called LAYERED FLAK. You don't send just pure seed thieves. You send a small amount of seed thieves along with your gards, harvs, geos, wheels, etc. and it helps your geos get through. I have often used wheels as an extra layer of flak.

The idea of adding in a "dedicated flak unit" strikes me as being utterly daft. There are plenty of dedicated flak units out there already. Anything with an INN classing can be used as flak. Just because you personally haven't noticed, it doesn't mean they aren't there.

The only idea which I can see here having any future is that of a step in the tutorial teaching new players how to flak.

Christ I'm not saying that gardeners are ineffective as flak, they're fine. Just that it's extremely counter-intuitive for a noobie to send his gardeners on attacks. The unit could be worth £2000 and just result in people spending their 'flak money' on it rather than on gardeners. It would make a lot more sense and save many new players from quitting, while not changing gameplay AT ALL. Layered flak would still be optional, but instead of using gardeners new players would use this.

I never realised people were so hostile to change on here!

timtadams

Landscape Designer
callum828, they were just pointing out that any INN unit can be used as flak for different situations. Even seedies or wheelies can be useful to help your geos get through (not that i do that ;))

Anyway, we do understand your point about confusion. It was suggested that a little info be included in the tutorial (and i think a link the wiki article would be good) about using gardeners as flak. And pretty much everyone supported this. But as far as most of us are concerned, a dedicated unit is not the way to go :)

Scorpio

Head Gardener
Even just put a line in the Gardener unit description saying something like "Given how cheap these poor farmers are, they could be used as human shields to protect something more valuable..."

this
+ a small step in the tutorial for flakking

= Win

Garrett

Landscape Designer
I never realised people were so hostile to change on here!

lol. look at all the suggestions. besides

a) people have pointed to a solution, so why not support it

b) if the solution about tutorial going forward and maybe something in the unit description, ISN'T what you want and everyone else hasn't covered your point.... then what happiness are you going to find?

c) maybe back up, take more time to explain yourself better rather than attack people you think are reactionary? you've been very vauge and it looks like you agree with no one and so everyone is trying to cover every possible point

d) yawn.

TSOHS

Alcibiades

Plant Geneticist
Callum828: We are a pretty reactionary bunch (for the most part) but not in this thread. We've put forth a few good solutions that don't require a new flak unit, or a unit to be (rather boringly) entitled FLAK.

Mention in the manual/wiki, tutorial and that little blurb that Nameless wanted should be sufficient, no?

callum828

Planter
callum828, they were just pointing out that any INN unit can be used as flak for different situations. Even seedies or wheelies can be useful to help your geos get through (not that i do that ;))

Anyway, we do understand your point about confusion. It was suggested that a little info be included in the tutorial (and i think a link the wiki article would be good) about using gardeners as flak. And pretty much everyone supported this. But as far as most of us are concerned, a dedicated unit is not the way to go :)

I agree that a tutorial step would help, but even then it would make sense to have a dedicated unit. Sending gardeners on an attack just makes no sense, even within the fictional world of the game. So far I haven't heard a reason as to why a dedicated flak unit would be detrimental to the game. We may not NEED it, but we didn't NEED the journal, and people rejected that just as they are here, for no other reason than it is new.

If anyone can think of a reason why a dedicated flak unit would hurt the game, I'll leave it be.

callum828

Planter
Callum828: We are a pretty reactionary bunch (for the most part) but not in this thread. We've put forth a few good solutions that don't require a new flak unit, or a unit to be (rather boringly) entitled FLAK.

Mention in the manual/wiki, tutorial and that little blurb that Nameless wanted should be sufficient, no?

Sufficient does not mean better. Copying and pasting ids to hack was 'sufficient', but the new system of clicking on the id and that bringing up options is much easier to use. I don't understand peoples' objections, other than that it would be a change.

pinpower

Landscape Designer
Super Moderator
If anyone can think of a reason why a dedicated flak unit would hurt the game, I'll leave it be.

If it aint broke dont fix it comes to mind. We have enough useless/underused units floating around as it is. There is no point bringing in another unit which will need to balanced etc when a couple of lines on the hiring page and an extra step in the tutorial will solve all!

Change for changes sake is rarely good in my opinion

Alcibiades

Plant Geneticist

Sufficient does not mean better. Copying and pasting ids to hack was 'sufficient', but the new system of clicking on the id and that bringing up options is much easier to use. I don't understand peoples' objections, other than that it would be a change.

Completely unrelated.

The only problem you have with sending out Gardies/harvies as flak is that it's counter-intuitive. The solutions proposed (other than introducing a new flak unit exactly the same as gardies but with a different name but the same purpose, same stats, etc) *counter* the issue at hand with a detailed explanation in the tutorial explaining what flakking is, and how it works. As well as a further more thorough explanation in the manual.

This game shouldn't be able to be picked up at the drop of a hat; there are a lot of different skills to be learned and tactics to be picked up. The game can't simply tell you all of them right away what they all are, how they work, and tell you exactly how to send out mobs and how to do precisely what is needed to win. That brings to mind the 'big red win' button that Azzer keeps reminding people he'll code :p

And let's be honest, a little line in the tutorial saying 'But remember, don't send out all your gardeners otherwise you won't be able to plant and fill your newly acquired acres' or something similar to that will prevent people from sending out *all* their units. Or better yet, the first time you send out *all* your flak you realize what you've done and think 'Oops i made a mistake, now i've learned for next time' as opposed to having the game do all the thinking for you. The best way to learn in this game is from mistakes. It took me a little while to realize how to flak but when i started in the manual there was a section entitled 'flakking'. I read it, i understood it, and then i was off and running. If you read the manual, it's not hard, and with the added description in the tutorial i don't think there's any excuse for not understanding how flakking works or what you do to flak units since you'll be told that gardeners/harvesters are flak units. *shrug* If you don't understand that then we're at an impasse.

As pinpower says: "if it ain't broke don't fix it" and there is no need to introduce a completely separate, yet identical unit to the gardener simply to clear up confusion which can be cleared up in an easier way. We're not objecting to change, simply objecting to the manner in which you wish to change the game.

THE BOTTOME LINE: I do not disagree that there is not a lot of obvious explanation that Gardies/Harvies/INNs can be used as flak. however simply adding another flak unit is not the best or smartest solution in my eyes. Having a better manual/wiki and a tutorial step will truly address the problem rather than simply put another unit out there that new players have to grapple with and won't necessarily understand without having to read somewhere in the manual/tutorial about it. Do you get it now?

Last edited:

Garrett

Landscape Designer
So far I haven't heard a reason as to why a dedicated flak unit would be detrimental to the game.

I will try again.

How are any of the flak types available, not dedicated flak?

There is nothing about a flak unit that would hurt the game. I'm just saying we have what you need already! Change for the sake of it is not always positive.

Is your problem that it doesn't say flak? That it's not labelled flak?

We're not saying leave it be... we're saying what is the point? Are you wanting a separate unit called flak on top of all the other INN? If so, what health and armour rating? What cost?

If we have flak already, why is there a *need* for another unit? Do we really want/need another line item on the screen?

All your suggestion seems to say is this: I need flak. Please make flak unit for flakking please.

My response is this: We has flak, wtf are you talking about?

Enrico

Tree Surgeon
Not to mention, for a new player, even more units to keep track of is not a good thing. as of now, you fulfill two uses with one set of staff.

Now if you don't feel the above suggestions. (wiki, tutorial and blurb in description) the only change I cann think of that is useful is to rename the gardener "worker" or something along that nature. Something that hints of a broader use for the unit.

callum828

Planter
So far I haven't heard a reason as to why a dedicated flak unit would be detrimental to the game.

I will try again.

How are any of the flak types available, not dedicated flak?

There is nothing about a flak unit that would hurt the game. I'm just saying we have what you need already! Change for the sake of it is not always positive.

Is your problem that it doesn't say flak? That it's not labelled flak?

We're not saying leave it be... we're saying what is the point? Are you wanting a separate unit called flak on top of all the other INN? If so, what health and armour rating? What cost?

If we have flak already, why is there a *need* for another unit? Do we really want/need another line item on the screen?

All your suggestion seems to say is this: I need flak. Please make flak unit for flakking please.

My response is this: We has flak, wtf are you talking about?

Have you even read my original post? I'm saying that while gardeners are fine for flak, it's counter-intuitive, particularly for newcomers, to send your resources units into battle. I don't NEED flak, I just feel it makes a lot more sense to have a unit for flakking, seeing as it is such an integral part of the game.

All you are saying is that we don't NEED it. We didn't NEED the journal, we don't NEED anti-rape, we don't NEED interactive IDs. We don't NEED half the features in this game, but they make the game better. Seeing as how few new players take up the game, I feel that a dedicated flak unit would make it far simpler and encourage retention of players.

'Don't fix it if it's not broke' is a nonsensical attitude to have. If we all thought like that, Bush would still be in age 1.

Not to mention, for a new player, even more units to keep track of is not a good thing. as of now, you fulfill two uses with one set of staff.

Now if you don't feel the above suggestions. (wiki, tutorial and blurb in description) the only change I cann think of that is useful is to rename the gardener "worker" or something along that nature. Something that hints of a broader use for the unit.

You honestly think that one more line of text would confuse a newbie MORE than them having to send in their gardeners on a military attack? There have been enough responses on this thread of people who didn't understand flakking until it was explained to them. It should be obvious, just as the hiring page is where you hire staff, the alliance page is where you view your alliance, the gardener should not be a military unit.

THE BOTTOME LINE: I do not disagree that there is not a lot of obvious explanation that Gardies/Harvies/INNs can be used as flak. however simply adding another flak unit is not the best or smartest solution in my eyes. Having a better manual/wiki and a tutorial step will truly address the problem rather than simply put another unit out there that new players have to grapple with and won't necessarily understand without having to read somewhere in the manual/tutorial about it. Do you get it now?

Given the abysmally low number of players at the moment, I don't think we can afford to sit on our hands on something that we KNOW causes people to quit. I get that a tutorial step would help, but it's still not getting to the core of the problem.

Last edited by a moderator:

timtadams

Landscape Designer
Hey callum828, just an off topic note, try using that 'multi-quote' button next to the 'quote' button ;)

tobapopalos

Hydroponics Developer
Urgh. We have all read your original post, Callum, or we wouldn't feel the need to post ourselves. Perhaps you should consider the possibility that in this case you are wrong, rather than everyone else not being able to read.

We do not need a new flak unit. We have plenty of flak units. There is no point in adding another unit in when we have plenty that do it already. The only thing I agree with in this thread is that new players might not realise that gardeners are flak, but that's why we have all suggested the extra line on the hiring page/extra step in the tutorial (although I'm pretty sure there's something about using gardeners as flak in the manual).

And please stop with all the retarded "we do not need this, we do not need that..." examples because they're quite simply a load of bullshit.

callum828

Planter
And please stop with all the retarded "we do not need this, we do not need that..." examples because they're quite simply a load of bullshit.

What's bullshit? All the changes that Azzer has implemented? I can think of several things now integral to the game that were poo-pooed when first suggested.

I guess I should have expected talking to long-time players. You're going to be attached to the status quo. I doubt many new players would see the logic of using gardeners for flak rather than using flak for flak.

Though thoughts from Azzer would be nice, he's certainly not scared of change.

Alcibiades

Plant Geneticist
Have you even read my original post? I'm saying that while gardeners are fine for flak, it's counter-intuitive, particularly for newcomers, to send your resources units into battle. I don't NEED flak, I just feel it makes a lot more sense to have a unit for flakking, seeing as it is such an integral part of the game.

We have read your original post, and all of your answers; the question remains have you read and understood our posts? because it seems that that is not the case. Here we go again....

I don't NEED flak, I just feel it makes a lot more sense to have a unit for flakking, seeing as it is such an integral part of the game.

You don't seem to understand. Your gardening/harvesting units ARE flak, and behave as such. You don't need to send them all out when you attack (especially harvies as i address later) but they are very capable of multi-tasking; i.e. Gardening *and* behaving like flak; or Harvesting *and* behaving like flak. It's much better in this game to have units that can perform multiple functions instead of having a simplistic ONE UNIT = ONE FUNCTION system. You wouldn't agree, but it seems to be where Azzer is at....

Moving on....
Okay let's take this one step at a time.

We all understand that sending out your 'resource gathering/using' units is counter intuitive when you are learning to play. I, as well as many others, did not realize that you could flak until i read about it/talked to some other players, and figured it out for myself. No one is sensibly countering that opinion.

What we do NOT agree with is the necessity for having a separate unit called FLAK with all the same stats as a gardener. We would prefer another alternative. There are already a lot of units that exist for flakking, we have covered this in the first few pages of this thread. We don't think there is a need for another unit; but simply that there is a need for a better explanation of what flakking is, how to accomplish it, and what units should be used to do such a thing.

If you have followed me thus far i'm going to take you one step further.

The proposed solution that have emerged thus far in this thread involved an added step to the tutorial which explains flakking and perhaps demonstrates how this is done. This idea needs a little further work but the basic idea is sound.

We would also like to see an enlarged section in the manual about flakking. Currently there exists this section which explains flakking but could use a little more clarification.

Have you followed me so far?

You honestly think that one more line of text would confuse a newbie MORE than them having to send in their gardeners on a military attack? There have been enough responses on this thread of people who didn't understand flakking until it was explained to them. It should be obvious, just as the hiring page is where you hire staff, the alliance page is where you view your alliance, the gardener should not be a military unit.

Okay, it is confusing to have a lot of units at the start, i remember being overwhelmed when i first started, i'm certainly not the best player at this game and it took me awhile to really get going. however, adding an extra unit called flak is not the appropriate solution. Having a better tutorial/manual is far and away the better option since it actually explains what flakking is, how to flak, and what units should be involved in flakking. Do you not agree that it's better to solve the problem at the root (i.e. explain how to flak?) rather than add another unit without explaining how to flak?

From the part of your reply i put in bold, i was curious, do you propose to have an extra page just like military but that says 'Flakking Page' where you only have geos/wheelies/and your generic FLAK unit? Because I feel that would be unnecessarily complicating the game for newbies, especially if you haven't gone out of your way to explain flakking anywhere, newbies might just send pure flak mobs at people and get killed because their lethals weren't included. The gardeners are included on the Military page because they are an integral part of any mob where you intend to land. This is the basic foundation of landing on players in the game. You cannot separate the two into two distinct parts because they are meant to be combined. I cannot make this clearer than i have already.

Given the abysmally low number of players at the moment, I don't think we can afford to sit on our hands on something that we KNOW causes people to quit. I get that a tutorial step would help, but it's still not getting to the core of the problem.

The low playerbase has more to do with the intensely high activity requirements than with the fact that people don't undertand flakking. It also has to do with the great length of time it takes to increase your units and land to a point where you have fun units. It also has a lot to do with this game being pretty much unique on the internet (or at least i've seen nothing like it elsewhere) and that it takes a lot of manual reading and then hands on playing to learn all the elements. I've been playing for 15+ rounds, and i still don't know tons and tons of things. Which i honestly believe to be a good thing since i'm learning all the time and this game would be boring if 15 minutes in i already knew everything there was to know about this game. Do you not agree?

Do you really know that people not understanding flakking causes people to quit? I would dearly love to see proof of that and until that moment i will casually dismiss your histrionic claims. And we are not sitting on our hands as you so delightfully put it, Azzer puts in a large amount of hard work to increase the gameplay, and many changes have been introduced (especially recently) to make gameplay a lot easier on newcomers and to reduce the intense activity requirements. There is an active suggestions forum and a lively debate amongst the playerbase as to what should be improved and what should be changed. A regular and proper exchange of ideas does exist.

All you are saying is that we don't NEED it. We didn't NEED the journal, we don't NEED anti-rape, we don't NEED interactive IDs. We don't NEED half the features in this game, but they make the game better. Seeing as how few new players take up the game, I feel that a dedicated flak unit would make it far simpler and encourage retention of players.

We are saying that we don't need a dedicated flak unit when there are already so many units that act in either their primary, or secondary abilities as Flak. To act as Innocent (massed) flak you have Gardeners, Harvesters, Cyborg Gardeners, Tractors, Combines, Stealth Harvesters, Arsonists, and Chemical Sprayers. These can all be massed to a lesser or higher degree depending upon your route and what you want to accomplish. All of those units have multiple purposes. I direct you to this page to see what they can do. Now to go further onto Innocent landstealing flak items you have Wheelbarrows, Geo Phys Thieves, Stealth Thieves, Thief units, Seed Thieves, Plant Thieves, and Money Launderers. Obviously like before, you cannot have *all* these units in one route, but many routes have multiple flakking options and you can mass/use them appropriately to flak whatever your main landstealing unit will be.

What we need is a more appropriate and visible definition of flakking as a core concept to stealing land and gameplay so that people *understand* the concept of flakking. Adding another unit without adding in the requisite explanations simply adds a further layer of complexity without achieving anything. Conversely, if in this scenario that I have just outlined, you add in a detailed description of flakking as the core concept of landstealing in bushtarion, you make the need for a dedicated flak unit obsolete.

As many people have demonstrated prior to me, there are dozens of other INN units. The key one we can talk about is the Tractor* which are astonishingly useful units because they allow you to keep 'resource units' home, while sending out your more easily accessible and useful Gardeners as flak. I understand that this doesn't help at the start of the game because you don't have tractors teched, however it helps immensely as the game progresses and being a several month long round, i sure you see the value of the tractor unit.

Also, sending out your 'resource units', while counter intuitive can be easily explained with the manual and tutorial. You don't always need your Gardeners home, you don't need to be planting 24/7; with harvies you *do* need to keep a portion home, but that too is explained in the manual. And as i stated before, you don't have to send *all* your gardeners out on your attack, you have the option to send out as many or as few as you want (ideally as many as you need to land, but not more than are necessary so you can be economical with your resources).
All you are saying is that we don't NEED it. We didn't NEED the journal, we don't NEED anti-rape, we don't NEED interactive IDs.

We do actually need AR; however this isn't the place to explain why.

Your idea, amusingly enough, is not needed, or even the proper solution. We have given you numerous reasons as to why, and we've even agreed with your original complaint that flakking is not explained well enough in the game. Thus we came up with what is a better, easier, more flexible, and more appropriate solution to the problem. I have tried to synthesize this into this one post so you can read it all here.

'Don't fix it if it's not broke' is a nonsensical attitude to have. If we all thought like that, Bush would still be in age 1.

It's a very good attitude to have in general, and only fix those things which are broken. You have brought to our attention that flakking is not explained well enough, you have proposed a solution, we have proposed a counter solution which achieves the purpose of your original post far better and with less complexity than yours, and yet you still resist? It simply doesn't make sense. I cannot make this simpler than I have in this post.... Hope it helps. This has nothing to do with us being reactionary, we simply see a better solution to the problem you so graciously brought to our attention; yet your responses are insulting and flagrantly hostile posts. You would get more respect from the playerbase if you behaved less like a spoilt and petulant child, and more like a responsible, literate and objective adult.

Name: Tractor [£41,000]
Unit Type: Machine/Vehicle
Unit Class: INN
Attack type: Gardens [close]
Stats: * / ***** / 4,500 plants.
ETA: 7
Initiative: 980
Route(s): Generic
Description: A mechanical monstrosity, these old tractors look like they really could churn through land at quite a pace.

Technology "Tractor Factory" gives access to this unit.

Last edited:

DarkSider

Tree Surgeon
Most of us seen countless newbies who attacked first times without any gardeners just h/y and wheelies so the OP makes sense in a way, but like others i agree an explanation for flaking should be more easly accessible i.e. slap them in their faces with the info instead making an entire new INN just so in it's description it writes 'send this with your attacks'.

Azzer

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
The concept of flakking is not clear to a beginner, and because gardeners are so integral to the maintenance of land, I can see why beginners would be confused initially that sending gardeners out on attacks would be a good thing, not a bad thing - "A weak vulnerable unit that I need to deal with my land? I'm not sending them on a suicide!"

However they are flak, they work as flak, they're balanced as flak, and the game is designed around them to be flak.

This leaves two solutions;
* An extra unit given to all players as a startup unit, called "Flak" - same stats as a gardener, same cost, everything the same, and then people have two units that both work as flak and can help with "flak layers" - causing a balancing issue. It also assumes that a newbie would know that the word "Flak" means "Cheap unit sent en-masse to absorb the blows and save the more important units", which they may not. It's also yet another unit for a first-timer to see. This 'solution' may solve the original problem while introducing several more - balancing issue problems being a major one.
* Find somewhere that beginners simply will not and can not miss, that will tell them "Hey dude, send gardeners on attacks when stealing land. Trust us, it's how you win! For full details on using gardeners to 'flak' your wheelies and geos, please read the manual here....". This solution seems to be simple, obvious, and the right thing to do. Just... where to put it and how to word it remains.