AVG 8.5 Problems

Ahead

Head Gardener
In the past I've run previous versions of AVG free without any problems at all, however recently, when it tries to update the virus database, the file avgupd.exe hogs my CPU like crazy - taking up 80-100% CPU and preventing me from performing any other tasks at the same time. This happens for both manual and automatic updates. It doesn't progress any, it merely uses up all my CPU, and it can be cancelled most of the time by using control, alt, delete then killing the task but it does come back in time and it leaves me with an un-updated anti-virus.

I've looked it up on the internet and there's one fix on the AVG forums that just involves defragging, fixing registry etc, then uninstalling and reinstalling AVG. I've had the problem before and when I did this before it fixed it, however now reinstalling does nothing.

Has anybody else come across this problem before and if so how did you overcome it?

Alternatively can anybody recommend a good free anti-virus that I can use instead of it?

Thanks.

Scorpio

Head Gardener
I can't come up with a solution for your AVG problem, but I can however recommend you to use Avast anti-virus instead. I like this anti virus system over AVG and it is also very user-friendly. I think it's been suggested to use in the "azzer bla bla guide to clean your comp".

It is free to use, if you just register by filling in some personal details. You can download it here. (dload the home - free version)
Hope this helps :)

Maxi

Head Gardener
Super Moderator
Community Operator
If you want to stick to AVG however, try uninstalling, removing ALL files related to AVG (folders, registry...) and install a fresh copy... Have you tried the AVG forums for help?

Ahead

Head Gardener
I've looked on the AVG forums but haven't posted. There is one topic which says clean up your pc, registry and defrag etc then uninstall and reinstall. I just un and re-installed cos cba to defrag etc but that didn't work whereas it did the first time the problem happened.

I am more than happy to switch though - I have nothing to keep my tied to AVG.

Would you say that Avast is better than Avira?

BlackWolf

Landscape Designer
Well as your post states your not ready to do anything before you post in look of your "easier" ways.

So next time how bout you just uninstall and reinstall the program before you spend 10 times more time looking for replacing program and posting to some forums. Its like after booting comp 2nd best way to fix things... and I wouldnt wonder if you have not even rebooted yet.

Nothing personal but I am just tired to see these kind of posts where people are posting before they are ready to even try to solve things by themselves. Yes I had this problem with my comp. I uninstalled and reinstalled AVG works fine 100% fine now... after few years of using AVG on multiple comps and numerous updates it is more than sure I will sometime download some corrupted file which ends up jamming the program...

Took me whole 5 minutes to figure it out, reinstall the app and reboot... didnt need to post here trying to find "easier" way.

lavadog

Head Gardener
What's up with the harshness BW? Not everybody wtfpwns at computers. Some people like to ask others for help when it comes to to pc's. What seems like an "easy solution" to you might not be just that for someone else. Not everybody has years of experience with AVG to know that it picks up files that jam the whole system sometimes. If everybody was computer savvy enough to fix their own pc's, you might as well close every help desk and computer store.

You need to get out of your own world sometimes and understand that not everyone knows as much about the things that YOU are good at.

Scorpio

Head Gardener
Why can't people discuss their choices on an internet forum BW :/

Last edited by a moderator:

Ahead

Head Gardener
Rofl the funny thing is Blackwolf, IF you bothered to read my posts fully I said twice that I had uninstalled the program and reinstalled it. I just said I didn't defrag etc in between reinstalling it. I actually uninstalled it and reinstalled it twice, rebooted each time, and I even tried repairing it with that option when I was given that option on installation, and ALSO I tried upgrading it to the newest version. That's attempting to fix it 4 times. I even tried uninstalling and reinstalling an older version of AVG 8.5 as I still had the download file when I upgraded from AVG 8 (as well as trying the latest version).

I am not an idiot with computers, I was merely asking whether anybody else had had this problem, and if nobody knew how to solve it which other anti-virus program they would recommend as I have not had experiences with any other free ones, only McAfee, Norton etc. So yeh how about trying to READ my post before posting wtf-pointless-smeggy-useless comments? Kthnx

Last edited by a moderator:

Ahead

Head Gardener
Just thought I'd say, switched to using Avast instead and it is MUCH better than AVG (and not just cos my AVG kept breaking)! I recommend anyone who is on AVG to switch to using Avast tbh.

Azzer

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Just thought I'd say, switched to using Avast instead and it is MUCH better than AVG (and not just cos my AVG kept breaking)! I recommend anyone who is on AVG to switch to using Avast tbh.

That's the spirit! I've been preaching this to my friends and doing it for anyone that gets me to look at their laptops/desktops for some time now :D

Garrett

Landscape Designer
heh i doubt avg is going to stay around much longer, between buggy code and the the conficker, et al trojans that play off the AVG name/logo to say that your computer has been infected, click here to remove and boom trojan on your comp.

just a good idea to stay away from avg for a little while.

Dark_Angel

Landscape Designer
Super Moderator
Community Operator
Aye I agree Avast is much better. Very easy to use interface, not too demanding on system resources, and generally not a pain in the arse with notifications. (Cept the gay guys voice who tells me the "virus database has been updated".

Alcibiades

Plant Geneticist
Aye I agree Avast is much better. Very easy to use interface, not too demanding on system resources, and generally not a pain in the arse with notifications. (Cept the gay guys voice who tells me the "virus database has been updated".

Don't lie, you love hearing that voice in the middle of the night, it makes you feel all warm and fuzzy on the inside!

On topic: Avast is terrific, downloaded it awhile ago when doing the spring cleaning instructions and it's really great. Thumbs up. :)

pinpower

Landscape Designer
Super Moderator
Hmm, ive used AVG for years now so am a bit skeptical about changing...

One thing that i like is AVG has a thing which tells you if your about to open a webpage with possible "threats" on it and also on google tells you if the pages that come up are safe or not. Does Avast do anything like this?

Weeble

Community Manager
Administrator
Yes. It tells you there's a dodgy connection and gives you the option to 'Abort' it.
I'd screenshot it for you, but I can't be assed.

BlackWolf

Landscape Designer
Question is are these based on some kind of lists you download or this means every time you go to some site it sends that information to that company?

You really want some company to track all your movements in internet?

pinpower

Landscape Designer
Super Moderator
When i google something there's a little tick next to each result if the site is "clean"...if i hover over that tick it tells me the last time the website was scanned for viruses etc (usually some time in the past week).

I just like the added option of that (i dunno how good it is...) if i might be going to suspicious sites. :D

I dont know alot about this sort of stuff, so basically is avast going to give me better protection that AVG? And with something like the above..?

Just wondering if i will change...

atsanjose

Landscape Designer
Super Moderator
When i google something there's a little tick next to each result if the site is "clean"...if i hover over that tick it tells me the last time the website was scanned for viruses etc (usually some time in the past week).

I just like the added option of that (i dunno how good it is...) if i might be going to suspicious sites. :D

I dont know alot about this sort of stuff, so basically is avast going to give me better protection that AVG? And with something like the above..?

Just wondering if i will change...

just change and thank us later :roll: