Planter
GA-MA790X-UD4P GIGA-BYTE
AMD PHENOM II X4 940 3GHZ AM2+ 8MB
CORSAIR DDR2 2X2GB 1066MHZ DIMM CL7 XMS2
CLUB 3D HD 4870 PCI-E 1GB GDDR-5 OC
CORSAIR PSU 750W 14CM FAN ATX PFC 80+
SMG F1 750GB 3.5" SATA2 7200RPM 32MB
SAMSUNG 22" WIDE 2243WM BLACK

Decided to build a new rig, got a more powerfull PSU to support further expansion(another 4870).
Any comments, recommendations, anything else I should consider?

Last edited:

TehPantz

Head Gardener
I am lovin that Processor! AMD ftw!!!! Death to evil Intel!!!!!!!!

BlackWolf

Landscape Designer
Gaming PC and AMD doesnt fit together.
AMDs current processors cant compete at any level with what intel can offer.
Yes it sucks but it is fact.

So if you have money get Intel if you dont well then dont call it "gaming comp" :p

aGit

Harvester

So if you have money get Intel if you dont well then dont call it "gaming comp" :p

but they're also cheap. a month a go i upgraded my computer to a amd rig. the whole setup was 411e, and i can play crysis on veryhigh settings at 1680x1050 with 20< fps so i wouldnt say that an intel in a gaming rig is a must, as alot of it goes down to the gpu.

TehPantz

Head Gardener

it is true that intel is the logical choice IF YOU WANT TO RUN CRYSIS ON A 32 INCH MONITER WITH ULTRA HIGH GRAPHICS WHILE PROGRAMMING A CAD MACHINE WITH SPECS FROM THE TITANIC.

otherwise there is little difference if i want to just play command and conquer...

Same specs for the usual PC games, AMD = lower price

AMD Wins

Podunk

Head Gardener
I donno about that pantz, AMD have just caught up to where the Q9550 Core 2's got (within 10%) performance wise and aren't much more expensive than AMD's Phenom X4 II 955.

Where the Intel core i7 920 is only 30$ more expensive for about a 25% increase in performance when compared to the Phenom X4 II 940. However the motherboard for the i7 core's are quite spendy.

Dziunglius

Planter
Yeah I was going for i7 first, it ain't that pricy itself, but the motherboard killed my plans.

Oh and x4 940 bechmarks say(not that i'd trust them really, just had to do some digging to decide and it may well serve as something too look at/consider) that it beats more expensive intel processors. INTEL Q9300 CORE2QUAD 2.5GHZ is far back(which is 10% more expensive) and INTEL Q9550 CORE2QUAD 2.83GHZ(30% more expensive) is either left behind or they both come very very close.

Of course there's 1 minus in AMD I see, DDR2 VS Intels DDR3, I just hope they not make such a big difference.

Oh and BW, i'll edit the title just for you.

Yang

Harvester
I saw a kinda cheapish i7 motherboard that I might get, somewhere in the region of 130 pounds, like maybe 250 euros?

f0xx

Landscape Designer
I saw a kinda cheapish i7 motherboard that I might get, somewhere in the region of 130 pounds, like maybe 250 euros?

250 euros just for motherboard? Are you ****ing crazy? Oh, just noticed that you call it "cheap" too. Jeez... the average monthly salary here is 250 euros.

Azzer

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
If you don't have a budget, and you just want a "omg wtf bbq pwn" PC at any cost, stick with Intel ;)

However, in this line, there seems to be a glaring ommission...

... Where's the SSD (solid state drive)? You can at least chuck like a 16-32GB SSD in for your Windows partition and applications, so you have wtf-bbq-pwn speedy bootup times, application load times, and reliability (no mechanical/moving parts to break down!). And then just get a huge "standard" drive for all your data storage and crap.

timtadams

Landscape Designer
If you don't have a budget, and you just want a "omg wtf bbq pwn" PC at any cost, stick with Intel ;)

However, in this line, there seems to be a glaring ommission...

... Where's the SSD (solid state drive)? You can at least chuck like a 16-32GB SSD in for your Windows partition and applications, so you have wtf-bbq-pwn speedy bootup times, application load times, and reliability (no mechanical/moving parts to break down!). And then just get a huge "standard" drive for all your data storage and crap.

I agree with the SSD being awesome for speed of access.

Of course they are more reliable cause of lack of moving parts, but i have never ever heard of a HDD failing. Ever. In my large family there must be like 8 PCs/laptops as well as very old destops/laptops in the shed that still work if need be. None have failed.

Im not saying you are wrong or i disagree with any part of the post (i do agree actually), im just wondering if anyone has had their HDD fail/get damaged w/e.

Just out of curiosity...:p

Tim

Harvester
I've seen older hard drives fail and I had a new one fail within 10 days once, but for the most part, once a new hard drive gets through its first month or so it will last for years.

Weeble

Community Manager
Administrator
They do tend to slow down though, over time. SSDs however, do not.

Azzer

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Hard-drives sure do die, and slow down too as Weeble says. I've seen plenty of "dead hard-drives" in my days fixing people's pc's, probably the most regular "major fault" I see whenever people throw their dead PC's at me to look at :p Even had a couple of dead drives myself through the years!

timtadams

Landscape Designer
wow, they sure do seem to have problems. I guess i am lucky.

lol, i find it funny that the truth was so (sort of) opposite to what i had thought :mrgreen:

f0xx

Landscape Designer
You can at least chuck like a 16-32GB SSD in for your Windows partition and applications, so you have wtf-bbq-pwn speedy bootup times, application load times, and reliability (no mechanical/moving parts to break down!). And then just get a huge "standard" drive for all your data storage and crap.

Best advice so far.