Hmmm...

f0xx

Landscape Designer
Recently I've noticed that bushtarion's page has become much more "heavy". What I mean is, that it kinda lags, especially when I scroll up and down. I've never had this problem before, first I thought it is because of me, my FF and my old PC. Then I tried opening some of the other heavy sites which I usually have problems with and they were running smooth.

I cleared all my private data + cache... the problem is still there. Does anyone else feel it? Can someone help me eliminate the problem?

[edit] Our forums seem to be running smoothly as well... it is just the game.

lavadog

Head Gardener
Mine's fine if I have just one tab open. However, once I have multiple FF tabs open (for example, when you attack and have multiple intel reports you want to compare) it lags like crazy.

Azzer

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Working fine and smoothly from my end, I suspect network latency somewhere in the data-centre that would affect some users but not all, usually things like that clear up themselves pretty quickly.

cb1202

Head Gardener
The only thing that lags for me is when I am using the NBS extention, other than that no lag.

Azzer

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
The only thing that lags for me is when I am using the NBS extention, other than that no lag.

That could definitely slow pages down, possibly even to large degrees depending on how it's coded and what it's doing on pages - if people are experiencing "lag", and are running the NBS extension - try disabling it and see if the lag disappears, to help you "fault-find" :)

Polo

Garden Designer
Super Moderator

That could definitely slow pages down, possibly even to large degrees depending on how it's coded and what it's doing on pages - if people are experiencing "lag", and are running the NBS extension - try disabling it and see if the lag disappears, to help you "fault-find" :)

My extension only starts to run once the page has fully loaded so it's nothing to do with that.

f0xx

Landscape Designer
I am not talking about LOADING the page. The problem can be mainly experienced when you scroll up and down a page with your mouse. It doesn't scroll smoothly and it lags. AGAIN, I am not talking about page loading.

[edit] I disabled NBS and the pages still seem heavy.

cb1202

Head Gardener
I am not talking about LOADING the page. The problem can be mainly experienced when you scroll up and down a page with your mouse. It doesn't scroll smoothly and it lags. AGAIN, I am not talking about page loading.

Sorry, I misunderstood you.

Azzer

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator

While you won't be able to effectively "play" Bushtarion - try disabling javascript in your browser temporarily, and loading a few pages (ignore the error message at the top of each page telling you to enable javascript) - how does it run now?

If that smooths things out, re-enable javascript, and go to ID Settings and try disabling these things in order (you can do them all at once, or try them 1 at a time checking pages in-between each being disabled), to see if anything makes a difference (both options are at the botom of the page)
"Disable Advanced Tooltips"
"Disable Live Javascript Time".

Did the problem only start recently? Can you remember when it started? It's possible you have other add-ons/extensions/programs running that are slowing heavy web pages down. If you're using Firefox, temporarily try pages in Internet Explorer and see if you get the same effect. If you have Firefox addons such as "Firebug" running, disable Firebug altogether and see if that improves it, likewise any other addons that might be "doing things" to pages.

Slow-downs while "scrolling" up and down a page will be related to processing power, and this is why I think the problem will be lying within the Javascript engine, or with other things running on the computer. Once your PC receives the page from the server, all of the scrolling up & down is done purely client-side - no more data is sent back & forth from Bushtarion.

TaO

Tree Surgeon

make your screen resolution 1280*1024.. no more scorrling required, problem solved ;)

i myself have no problems with scrolling the pages but sometimes pages do take a while to load. but that could be just my crappy homenetwork setup :D

lavadog

Head Gardener
just out of curiosity, are the bushtarion pages considered big in regards to size or time to load? Or are they comparable to most other websites?

Weeble

Community Manager
Administrator
About the same. Since there's..two images per page, actual page size is relatively small.
My overview comes in at 14.34 kB, with the Alliances page coming in at 24.56 kB.
As a comparison, YouTube's home page is 15.09 kB, BBC's heavy home page is 108.78 kB and this forum index is 8.99 kB.

f0xx

Landscape Designer
I've found out where the problem comes from. It seems to be a problem related to the color scheme I am using (my color scheme called "Typical").

I tried changing my background while using the same color scheme and the problem still exists. Then I tried the oldschool weed scheme and the scrolling there seems pretty smooth. I guess the scheme itself is too heavy for my PC.

[edit] I tried playing with my account from the PC of one of my roomates, which is much more powerful than mine, and everything is fine.

Seems like the problem is on my end :(

[edit2] Actully, the problem seems to be indeed with the background. When I use a background coming from url, it lags when scrolling. When I use black as main background everything is fine.

Weeble

Community Manager
Administrator
Happens with every site - check out some MySpace pages where morons (ahem, people) choose huge images as their background pictures. Takes a long time to render and then stutters when you scroll.

f0xx

Landscape Designer
Indeed, only thing is that I wasn't using some random image but the background from the official (black) lite login :p

Oh well, will switch to just black.

Podunk

Head Gardener
If you have parts that are somewhat transparent if I remember right it causes that, or if you have special text? Like it fades from one color on one side to another on the other. Actually it might have been an image for the headers for things... I think that was the problem...

Or I might just be extremely confused :(

Pantz made a color scheme and I was providing constructive criticism, when I first noticed it. I think it was the image in the header for sure :p