100 pushups

TheNamelessWonder

Tree Surgeon
I'm doing them Monday-Wednesday-Friday. I've been finishing the sets, but only kinda. Stopping after some reps, stretch out, do a few more, pull back again, etc. My problem isn't that I'm not doing it, or that I'm not doing the best I can. My problem is that my best hasn't gotten any better for a few weeks now.

torell

Digger
r u sure uve been pushing urself? remember ur last set it says to do 'max' which means exhert urself til u fall flat on ur nose

cutter

Digger
Week 4 day 2 max 36 (Friday night) will do week 4 day 3 tonight. And yes, you should kep going until you fall flat on your face when attempting one more. 80% mental, 20% physical.

TheNamelessWonder

Tree Surgeon
Having looked at week 4 and realized that I just plain can't do that, I'm going to take one more pass at week 3, absolutely balls to the wall, and HOPE for victory.

TheNamelessWonder

Tree Surgeon
Did 29 on day 3 of week 3, moving on to week 4. It took balls. More balls than I had actually, so I bought a pair off the poor ******* next door who lost his job.

Anyone still doing this?

Alcibiades

Plant Geneticist
i'm afraid I quit the regime; as i'm weak. however it did spur me to continue doing at least some situps and pushups each day. So kudos for that ;P

Azzer

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
I've never exercised or been to a gym in my life. Other than some basic Physical Education during High School (at least 50% of all lessons I managed to get out of doing throughout the entireity of school, instead ending up sitting on the sidelines chatting to whoever the PE teacher was about computers... I know, I know...). I'm also pretty lazy - I prefer to drive everywhere. And I have a job that involves not needing to do much other than sit at a PC - mentally strenuous, sure, but certainly not physically strenuous. I'm not fat - I'm 11 stone (69kg), and dot on 6 foot tall. But I'm not "fit", at all - unsuprisingly. I thought I'd have a go at this at last, just for the sheer embarassment/lulz, if anything. I'm also likely to abandon this after only a couple of sessions, or simply forget to do it, without some serious poking/encouragement/forcing from other people.

I sometimes get RSI in my wrists, which can be a bit dodgy, so I'm going to do "knuckle pushups" rather than the normal ones, shouldn't make any difference at all though.

"Initial Test" Result: 2 pushups. 2. Two. Yes, two.

So on that note, I should probably give in already, but I'll have a go at doing the easier "Knee" pushups for a while, and see if I actually get anything from this. So until I say otherwise, any ranks i give myself should be taken as a "half-measure" - knee pushups, not normal pushups. I'll let you know if I manage to get back to normal push-ups to 10+ at any point (if I don't just give up/forget about this before then).

So immediately after wearing myself out on the mighty 2 pushups, bar a few minutes break to write the above paragraph, here's my first test, knee-pushup style;

Week 1, test 1, knee-knuckle pushups: 7.

Azzer

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Ok read it further and realised you actually have to do a bunch of "sets" each day, not simply do the "max" and that's it. And just record how many you achieve in the *final* set, not how many total, so starting again and I'll update this post as my "diary", assuming I ever do more than this single day's worth, which may be unlikely.

"Knee Pushups" on my knuckles, not wrists (the knee thing is meant to be 50% easier, though DS told me the knuckles makes it a bit harder)

Week 1:
Day 1 (21st February): 5
Day 2 (23rd February): 10
Day 3 (26th February): 10

No-Dachi

Official Helper
For the record Azzer, knuckle pushups are indeed harder, as you get to go about 5cm lower than everyone else, which means that you activate more muscles. :) However, it is a lot better for your wrists. If you suffer from wrist problems though, you might try to wrap some sports tape around them. One round around each wrist works wonders! You should also consider buying some light manual to work up some muscle strength there.

I couldn't keep up with this program and my Krav Maga training, so I went back to my usual rutine:

Every morning:

Week 1: 2x20 pushups - 2x5 hangups - 60 sec plank
Week 2: 2x25 pushups - 2x6 hangups - 60 sec plank

From week 3 and onwards I raise with 1 hangups each week, and 5 push every other week for starters. The plank I'll double after a month, and then add another 60 sec after another month.

Keep in mind that this is not my strength workout. It is merely something to do every morning once I get out of bed. I strongly believe in building muscles that are used to working every single day, and the amount I take each morning is not something I struggle to do, hence 24 hours of rest is more than enough. So if anyone plans on copying, start so low, and make the progression so low that it's more fun than a struggle to do them. The point is not to be exhausted, but merely to activate the muscles.

My end goal is 2x100 push and 2x20 hangups.

Apart from that I have two lessons of Krav Maga a week, and two sessions at the gym. At the gym I perform bodyweight exercises, but I need some machines to rebuild a bad knee. If anyone should be interested I can write down the rest of my plan as well, but I hardly think anyone will read what I've written already, so I'll save my wrists from the burden ;)

No-Dachi

Official Helper
Manuals? Ehm. What do you call it? Handles? Dumbbells? Something that's made of iron, and is heavy, only you want one not so heavy. I guess that a couple of kilos will be enough - five at most. The way you use it is that you rest your arm on a table/your leg while sitting with your knee in a 90 degrees angle, so that everything but your hand is supported by something firm. Then you slowly lower the weight as far as it goes, using only your wrist (the rest of the arm is still), and pull it back up. Someone advices that you pull it up as fast as you can, but I recomend that you start with a slow motion, at least until you feel you know exactly how to do it.

Do perhaps 10? And then you do the opposite side, and then the two remaining sides. The sideway movement is quite small, and can be quite tough, so you might want to do 5 here instead of 10.

n0c0ntr0l

Harvester
did this morning:

25 25 20 15 15

thats official 100, after that:

20 10 8 6 1<-- I was literally dead there. Wonder what my boxing coach would say about that, the rest of my club can do 200 in 8 sets.

JJbrosandjl

Harvester
did this morning:

25 25 20 15 15

20 10 8 6 1<-- I was literally dead there. Wonder what my boxing coach would say about that, the rest of my club can do 200 in 8 sets.

Pretty sure it's 100 consecutive n0c0 :p

I can do about 63 consecutive max, but can pretty much do 100 in 4-5 sets (need about a minute rest between though)

n0c0ntr0l

Harvester
did this morning:

25 25 20 15 15

Pretty sure it's 100 consecutive n0c0 :p

I can do about 63 consecutive max, but can pretty much do 100 in 4-5 sets (need about a minute rest between though)
I take 30 second rests between each rep, so I'm not as good as I would like to be. I wouldl like to do 50 a set ideally, but because I go for explosive power in my push ups gonna take a while. I have so much work to do. I ran 100m yesterday in 11.8. I'm meant to get sub eleven at least! Gonna have to fill my days with plenty of shuttle runs, squats and other explosive leg activities :(

Garrett

Landscape Designer
did everyone see something shiny, or did you hit your goals?