Tutorial System

pinpower

Landscape Designer
Super Moderator
I really think the tutorial isn't necessary.... or atleast the bonuses aren't

I agree with you that the rewards aren't necessary but i can see why Azzer has included them, most people arent going to do something unless they get something back...

But i imagine the only reason you dont think the tutorial is necessary is because you already know how to play the game, so it obviously isnt aimed at you. Try and think back to when you first started...unless you had someone to give you some tips i dont care what anyone says...this is a hard game to get the hang of. And once you manage the easier stuff (which can take a while to work out) e.g assigning acres, planting, buying harvesters, sending out your first attack maybe...starting a development.
You have barely scratched the surface of how to play, i remember personally i had no idea what flakking was or why to flak/how to flak until about 3 rounds in when Silence taught me...then there are things such as the initiative of units, i was just explaining that to a newer player and it wasnt until i started to try and explain it that i realized that in itself is quite hard to get your head round (from a new players POV, who is often trying to work out which units are "better" or "stronger" etc).

I definately think the tutorial (when its added, and assuming its good...lol) will be one of the best additions to the game in a long time...the biggest problem Bushtarion has atm is the lack of active players (or just players in general)...anything that can be done to give a higher chance of new players staying is good in my book.

x

Dimitar

Landscape Designer
I agree with you that the rewards aren't necessary but i can see why Azzer has included them, most people arent going to do something unless they get something back...

I think if people think the game is too hard for them at the moment or if they don't understand something they will do the tutorial just for the stuff they want to learn.. I don't think anyone will want to get something in return for learning how to grow their seeds.. the gain of knowledge is enough and the tutorial systeam as it is presently is more of an instrument for replacing the voting system rather than explainig the basics of the game.

My point is that if people want to learn they will learn without exepcting anything more than the desired information and that older players shouldn't be allowed to profit from the tutorial system by making it a tool for a better start of the round

Cyrus

Official Helper
Community Operator
I think if people think the game is too hard for them at the moment or if they don't understand something they will do the tutorial just for the stuff they want to learn.. I don't think anyone will want to get something in return for learning how to grow their seeds.. the gain of knowledge is enough and the tutorial systeam as it is presently is more of an instrument for replacing the voting system rather than explainig the basics of the game.

My point is that if people want to learn they will learn without exepcting anything more than the desired information and that older players shouldn't be allowed to profit from the tutorial system by making it a tool for a better start of the round

im torn to agree, rewards arent meccesary, firstly, new people wont be expecting rewards as they wont know about them, therefore may even cause more confusion with jsut being gave cash n troops from nowhere, secondly this means the people who have been here and active on forums will know to do this for rewards etc etc.

No-Dachi

Official Helper
On the other hand, actually giving them rewards will make sure they do them all. And it's fun, can't argue with that. Besides, don't tell you expect new players to be so stupid that giving them bonus (which'll be explained in a mail sent to them) will make them so confused that they quit? ...

I don't want the incentives to be game-breaking or massively game-altering, but I do think that it would be nice to break up the pattern of how we start off and do the first 50 ticks. New incentives means that new plans have to be made, and it is a needed and welcomed change.

Besides, it will be the same for everybody, so I don't really get the big fuss.

Cyrus

Official Helper
Community Operator
On the other hand, actually giving them rewards will make sure they do them all. And it's fun, can't argue with that. Besides, don't tell you expect new players to be so stupid that giving them bonus (which'll be explained in a mail sent to them) will make them so confused that they quit? ...

I don't want the incentives to be game-breaking or massively game-altering, but I do think that it would be nice to break up the pattern of how we start off and do the first 50 ticks. New incentives means that new plans have to be made, and it is a needed and welcomed change.

Besides, it will be the same for everybody, so I don't really get the big fuss.

you can only do this once per account though, therefore the first 50 ticks will only change for that specific person once unless you make a new account every round, which could be abusable maybe, although highlt unlikely i guess because i certainly aint reregistering again every round jsut to gain an advantage :p

i must admit im not fussed either way, im just putting the against arguement out there

PS Dachi i didnt mean to say if i did that newe comers would quit, i said confuse, which is never a good thing for new guys, as simple is always the best ;)

pinpower

Landscape Designer
Super Moderator
cyrus, i believe the tutorial can be done every round...regardless of how old your account is?

To make it fair.

x

Cyrus

Official Helper
Community Operator

i think i must not read everything fully, im sure i read somewhere that this can only we completed once, id like confirmation or a quote if anyone can find one.

i probably did just read it wrong?

pinpower

Landscape Designer
Super Moderator
I cant actually find a quote, but thinking about it im sure you can do it more than once because im sure Azzer was talking about being able to disable it in your ID options...which suggests you'll be asked to do it more than once.

x

Azzer

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Rewards would be once per new ID. New ID (from deleting/restarting/new round) = rewards reset and can be gained again.

It is the only way to enable a system that grants rewards for completing the tutorial, without encouraging players to want to make a new account each round for the "best possible gains".

Cyrus

Official Helper
Community Operator
Rewards would be once per new ID. New ID (from deleting/restarting/new round) = rewards reset and can be gained again.

It is the only way to enable a system that grants rewards for completing the tutorial, without encouraging players to want to make a new account each round for the "best possible gains".

or scrap the rewards, no newb will be seeking rewards if they are willing to learn to play, the best tutorial is actually playing the game, there is only so much you can learn by reading, most learning involves getting stuck in

Dimitar

Landscape Designer
the rewards will be for the experienced players only imo, because the newbies will do it for the tutorial itself and the others will do it only for the rewards(which is stupid) I say keep the tutorial, remove the rewards!

pinpower

Landscape Designer
Super Moderator
I dont like the rewards either, but fact is new players are far more likely to do the whole tutorial if there is rewards....when i start most new games (or anything really) i skip the instructions and just try and work it out to save all that reading...

Like i said, i dont like the rewards but it is important to remember that everyone gets the rewards so saying things like "the rewards are for the experienced players only" doesnt really make sense.

x

Azzer

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Human nature for "gamer" type people is that they will assume they can master a game themselves, and so they will skip a tutorial by default the moment they enter a game and dive right in to it themselves.

If the game then proves too complex, one of two things happens - they quit, because the game's too complex, or they might then try and go back to the tutorial.

As long as there are rewards of any kind, even small - if the new player knows that they will actually gain a genuine, real benefit to their account (ie an edge/an advantage) by completing the tutorial - then they will tend to go through it and not skip it.

Matt

Harvester
Sorry to hear you unwell and wish you a speedy recovery.

is this tutorial system going to be up for the start of this round Azzer?

pinpower

Landscape Designer
Super Moderator
I very strongly doubt the tutorial will be up for this round, as it starts in less than 4 hours.
Makes more sense implementing it next rout anyway along with the advertising stuff azzer has planned.

X

Martin

Garden Designer
Super Moderator
Community Operator
I very strongly doubt the tutorial will be up for this round, as it starts in less than 4 hours.
Makes more sense implementing it next rout anyway along with the advertising stuff azzer has planned.

X

Agreed, if not impliment it late in the round. Although if that happens those who know if it will be good or not (nice way to say experienced players) won't get to test it and find bugs/balances. Save it for next round IMO.

Dimitar

Landscape Designer
but this way people are kind of forced into doing the tutorial.. cause as you said new players will do it to learn the basics and get rewards but the old players will be obliged to do the tutorial for the bonuses if they dont want to fall behind

pinpower

Landscape Designer
Super Moderator
yeh, but for the old players the tutorial can be done in no time at all (from what i gather)...so it isnt really a big deal.
x