Resident Evil 5

Dark_Angel

Landscape Designer
Super Moderator
Community Operator
Played the demo a few days ago. Anyone else baffled by Capcom's decision to make you immobile while aiming?

I.e you can't fire without aiming, you can't aim without being grounded.

Capcom quoted as saying this is for "realism". o.0

Who suddenly gets so heavy they can't move just because they're aiming at something :S

Also, what do people make of it being set in Africa? I'm usually the first person to laugh political correctness out the room, but I do think it quite silly of Capcom to set a game about starved, red-eyed, flesh eating zombies in a country whose inhabitants are starving to death.

They're just asking for it IMO :S

tomtree

Head Gardener
wtf?! you cant shoot without aiming? and you cant move while aiming?!!! doesnt sound good to me... though it spose it is possible to make it work. i have never played any of the resident evil games, and this doesn't make me want to start.

timtadams

Landscape Designer
aye, that sounds ridiculous. Simply make it harder to aim while moving, you know, a little wobble. And then i realised, oh wait, they do that in COD4 and it works. And firing from the hip works fine, its just less accurate. Capcom could learn a few things from here if they want realism.
*slaps Capcom for being stupid

Alcibiades

Plant Geneticist
I played teh demo. The inability to move while aiming is just catastrophically bad. Avoid this game like the plague.

Souls

Official Helper
The inability to move while aiming.. sounds just like RE4? :S

BeakY

Harvester
Buckinghamshire, England, Earth, Milky Way
any1 else find the whole game slightly leaden? i mean i know chris is a heavy dude but i know clinically obese people who can do a 180 faster than him.
the whole stand still and aim thing is silly on all levels esp as they say it's there to improve accuracy, well they still added in "muscle shake" and wavering view like us real humans have and then the zombies never stay still anyway so that was all just a little pointless.

as to ur "set it in Africa is baaaaad" BS, shush, no1 ever complains about 10trillion white zombies but as soon as u get a black one every1 shouts racism/bad taste. They've had the T/G Virus in every other concieable setting and seeing as they treat every1 the same in the game (ur either alive, dead or undead :p ) then I dont see whats to get in a huff about next they'll be blaming Resi5 for the problems in Africa, like a game can cause famine and death.....wait i m starting to feel all hungry as i type this maybe i'm wrong, maybe it is them......wait no wait i just haven't finished breakfast yet (most important meal of the day)

would buy it, but the standing still while shooting puts me right off

BlackWolf

Landscape Designer
Well the fact is that moving and shooting even slightly there is not happening. Ofc this depends a bit of the gun, but when talking of anything bigger than pistol you simply wont move and shoot if you want to hit something that is further than 30 feets away.

That as for real guns.

Have not played RE5, but well wouldnt rule it out only cause you cant bunnyhop head shoot from full running speed movement ;)
Tho must agree that not being able to move at all sounds ridiculous.

Netherdragon

Pruner
not being able to move and shoot was fine in resi 4 as you were in a really linier (i know i cant spell) space. because this is more opep with the environments its really easy to get swamped and uterly destroyed by masses of zombies, and in the demo my AI aprtner refused to pick up her own ammo and i had no time to go through the menu system to give her some, WTH is up with that. Really on the fence with this, its quite fun but frustrating as hell.

Dark_Angel

Landscape Designer
Super Moderator
Community Operator
as to ur "set it in Africa is baaaaad" BS, shush, no1 ever complains about 10trillion white zombies but as soon as u get a black one every1 shouts racism/bad taste. They've had the T/G Virus in every other concieable setting and seeing as they treat every1 the same in the game (ur either alive, dead or undead :p ) then I dont see whats to get in a huff about next they'll be blaming Resi5 for the problems in Africa, like a game can cause famine and death.....wait i m starting to feel all hungry as i type this maybe i'm wrong, maybe it is them......wait no wait i just haven't finished breakfast yet (most important meal of the day)

BeakY, in my opinion it IS racist. Ofc Reisdent Evil has been set in a number of different countries whose inhabitants are predominantly white. The difference being, the people in these countries aren't starving to death.

Interestingly, whilst in all of these countries the zombies were mindless - (to my knowledge) in Africa the zombies seem to have some form of intelligence.

To me, at least, the most poor and deprived people in the world should be exempt from inclusion in such games. I'm not the only person to think so:

http://www.blacklooks.org/2007/07/resident_evil_5.html

-

Key quotes:

The new Resident Evil video game depicts a white man in what appears to be Africa killing Black people. The Black people are supposed to be zombies and the white man’s job is to destroy them and save humanity...

This is problematic on so many levels, including the depiction of Black people as inhuman savages, the killing of Black people by a white man in military clothing, and the fact that this video game is marketed to children and young adults. Start them young… fearing, hating, and destroying Black people.

[edit by DA] "blacklooks.org" is a website devoted to African women.

Last edited:

timtadams

Landscape Designer
Errr, i think i agree with BeakY here. And i will say i really dislike the last part of that quote about starting young people hating and killing black people. Children playing this game? Ofc there will be some, but i think if a parent is letting a child without a sufficient level of maturity and understanding play such a game, there are already problems here. But any person with that maturity will already have certain views (racist or not), which will not be easily wavered, especially by such a fictitious game. I think that comment is silly and not thought out. I really dislike it.

However i can see DAs point of leaving the most disadvantaged people out of games. But i dont think it is really going to change much...

Weeble

Community Manager
Administrator
I find it horrifying that when you see a game where all protagonists are white people, no one makes a fuss, but when you include just one black person that the player has to kill, everyone goes bat----crazy.

Racism works both ways. After all, this is just a game, so get over it!

In reference to Resident Evil 5, as BeakY mentioned, it's hard to keep coming up with new settings - Africa is a logical step as it's expansive enough to vary the gameplay significantly while playing. As to the current real world situation of Africa - it has nothing to do with it. Games are (generally) set in fictitious times/areas.

-------

From what I've seen of the game, it isn't all that bad (apart from the already stated crappy stand-still-while-you-aim aspect). Might try it out at some point if I can be bothered to put up with the above issue :p

Azzer

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Entertainment at the expense, or cost, of others is not good. The key word here is "expense/cost".

RE5 is not costing others anything here - I am not going to now be ignorant of a food crisis because of it, nor am I going to assume that Africa is full of zombies, nor am I going to gain the impression that white people should go to Africa and try to shoot black people. Who is RE5 insulting, hurting, or costing? Nobody. I think you have to actually be racist to be able to interpret anything racist in to RE5's setting. Skin colour should be irrelevant to a non-racist person. Forcefully telling somebody "You can't have those two skin colours interacting in that way" is racism - just approached from the opposite side. To not be racist is to see the skin colours as irrelevant - RE5 is one person in a country shooting other people... the skin colour is meaningless. Anyone claiming anything otherwise is showing racism - be it from one side or the other.

All that aside, I saw some gameplay vids of RE5, and it looks pretty crap. I liked the first RE - scary for it's day, but it seems like the series hasn't really moved on and kept up with modern gaming enough.

pinpower

Landscape Designer
Super Moderator
Yeah personally DA i think your taking it a bit to seriously...all this PC stuff flying around now makes me want to eat my own ears just so i dont have to listen to it anymore..

Its a game, anyone who reads into it more than that isnt worth thinking about. (except for you lover).
x

Dark_Angel

Landscape Designer
Super Moderator
Community Operator
I can see where BeakY, Azzer, Weeble and Pin are coming from.

My opinion that the game is racist is not really based on skin colour. I'm referring more to the fact that Capcom are likening (one way or another) mindless, flesh eating zombies to African people.

And yes, ofc they've done the exact same thing in commonwealth countries that have white people in. The difference being we're not starving and don't look like we haven't eaten for weeks. Therefore we couldn't possibly be even remotely offended.

I'm not really trying to make a racism point here. Rather, I'm trying to say I think it was a bit of a "tacky" decision to make from one of the leading game developers.

BlackWolf

Landscape Designer
No worries DA I agree with you on that racism thing.
If you must kill black people then the hero should be black, same way if you kill whites and make black hero it starts to be racist game.

Ofc this is pretty far fetched but I can understand why some people has taken it harshly.

Weeble

Community Manager
Administrator
Well following your logic then DA, are you also saying that Far Cry 2 was racist, since it depicts every African fellow as a guy who'll shoot you with an AK or RPG on site?

Dark_Angel

Landscape Designer
Super Moderator
Community Operator
Not sure I see your point Weeble.

I don't think Far Cry 2 is racist. There aren't any civilians/innocents in the game; it's made clear those following you/killing you are millitants that have taken over civilian towns?

Which is probably why there weren't (as much) outcry of "Racism" in Far Cry 2.

In retrospect, I don't know if I'm using the wrong word to describe what I'm trying to say here.

Perhaps unsavoury would be a better choice of word. Morally I think it's wrong to liken, in any way, zombies to starving African people.

Weeble

Community Manager
Administrator
But it's absolutely fine to liken them to anybody else on the planet, despite the fact that it's the same affliction - so anyone will end up starving?

In actual fact, DA, I think you have a severe awareness issue. Yes, there are starving people in Africa, but there are starving people all over the world. Just because the media has hooked onto this fact, it doesn't mean that every person in Africa starves daily, not at all. As far as I'm aware, the zombies in RE5 are not incredibly thin, weedy figures, but instead bear a striking resemblance to a well fed person. Golly! Isn't that a shocker?

pinpower

Landscape Designer
Super Moderator
HA! BW that in itself is a racist comment.

It works both ways. I am not racist in the slightest bit. Everyone is equal, so it doesnt matter whether there is 1,000 whites killing 1 black guy or vice versa...its just characters in a game.
x

Dark_Angel

Landscape Designer
Super Moderator
Community Operator
I think I'm going to leave it there, because at this rate we're both heading for infractions :p

I think my sense of awareness is just fine. I can very honestly say I'd be just as surprised to see Capcom choosing a setting in which white people are universally known as being starved because they have no food, as I am to see them choose Africa.

Once again, I don't see it as massively incorrect. Just a little unsavory.This is just my take, I'm not trying to obtrude my views onto anyone else ;)

I guess we'll have to agree to disagree!

[edit] Just re-read your post. Admittedly these particular African zombies appear to be well fed. I get your point ;) And note it as interesting!

Last edited: