name colours for Staff [Split from Staff Recruitment Fallout]

BlackWolf

Landscape Designer
http://www.bushtarion.com/forums/showgroups.php
Could it be possible to change order of those nicks to be presented in some other way than in alphabetical way.

I think that page with its nick colours is very confusing and took me some time to figure it out.

So for example blue on top, then green and red on bottom would be good way to do it, now it looks like rainbow and makes just people ckecking the page wonder wtf. those are.

Polo

Garden Designer
Super Moderator
http://www.bushtarion.com/forums/showgroups.php
Could it be possible to change order of those nicks to be presented in some other way than in alphabetical way.

I think that page with its nick colours is very confusing and took me some time to figure it out.

So for example blue on top, then green and red on bottom would be good way to do it, now it looks like rainbow and makes just people ckecking the page wonder wtf. those are.

It makes perfect sense to me. IRC Ops = Blue, Helpers = Green, Mods = Red. If someone holds more than one position, however, Mod takes precedent over Helper and both take precedent over IRC Op.

pinpower

Landscape Designer
Super Moderator
I think it makes sense to have the Mod take precedent as it is a list on the Bushtarion forums afterall.

I kind of agree with what BW is saying, from a quick glance the colours can be confusing as many staff have more than 1 role...however i think its clear enough as they are organised under sub-headings as well.?
x

BlackWolf

Landscape Designer
Yes as I think I said I understand the roles and stuff, I mean colors as nicks are listed in alpabetical order it took even a me who knows forums and its stuff a moment to figure it out. I think it may confuse someone who doesnt know anything about forums and their layout etc.

All I ask is to in same order put peoples names in those each section. So blue would be on top of each section green in middle and red at bottom.

So anyone with half brains could figure that each list and whole list is connected.

Weeble

Community Manager
Administrator
Maybe it'd be better just to give everyone in those particular sections that particular colour?

For example if I was a moderator, IRC Operator and Official Helper, one would see:

IRC Operator
Weeble

Official Helper
Weeble

Official Helper
Weeble

Instead of all names being red?

pinpower

Landscape Designer
Super Moderator
Personally after re-reading BW's post i think thats a better idea...in each section just make it so the colours are grouped together (in the same order).

Would make it appear simpler at first glance i agree, i dont think its a big deal really...but it rarely hurts to make something simpler.
x

Azzer

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
A person's name can only have one colour - you can not say "Make this user have this colour in this location, and that colour in that location". The priority I have chosen, in order, is;

Helper
Operator

As a forum moderator should be obvious that they are a moderator on the forums themselves.
And it is more important to advertise a helper, as a helper, than it is to let people know they are an IRC operator.
So people only have an IRC op colour if they are only an IRC op (not a helper or mod), and they are only a helper colour if they are not a forum moderator.

I'm not aware of any options that allow me to change the order in which names appear within those groups.

That being said, it seems like an incredibly minor thing! You click "Forum leaders", and it seperates that page in to three tables that are each headered/titled clearly - "IRC Operators" - with a list of names underneath who are clearly IRC operators.... "Official Helper" section... and then finally a "Super Moderator" section... with each section clearly in it's own table and labelled appropriately.

I think spending a lot of effort making the page "simple to understand at a quick glance for somebody who doesn't want to read" would be a waste of invested time, given all of that! :D

timtadams

Landscape Designer
Me agrees wit BW. Confusing. I never wouldve got it if someone didnt tell me. And its not like i'll remember.