New Wiki and Manual

Alcibiades

Plant Geneticist
I just wanted to point out that Azzer and TheTallOne (to my knowledge) have updated the Wiki and Manual and made it not only appear nicer, and a lot easier on the eyes and more appealing; but also so far to my investigations have updated it also.

While it may not be complete (i haven't checked thoroughly) this is a huge step forward and i would like to be the first to say thanks to both of you for finally doing it!

Kudos.

[/pet peeve]

rooney

Head Gardener
Re: New Wiki and Manual

i cant see anything new looking on the manual. never looked at wiki before though so cant tell if its different :D

Alcibiades

Plant Geneticist

rooney said:
i cant see anything new looking on the manual. never looked at wiki before though so cant tell if its different :D

Compare the manual on your left hand page with the manual in the Wiki. You'll find a number of differences, many of them rather important.

Azzer

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator

In all fairness the majority of the work on the wiki was by thetallone, particularly the re-design of the main wiki front-page. Darryl did a lot of work on the wiki past and present, including a lot of the manul related pages. I did a bit of work but compared to those two, they deserve all the credit for it ^^

timtadams

Landscape Designer
Well since the wiki is the main source of info now, it would be a good idea to make it as good as possible. So i guess this would be good place to contribute ideas.
Would it be really necessary to make a new thread? If so tell me and i will, or you could do it yourself...

Anyway, whats wrong with the front page? I understand a lot of effort went into making it good, but why are the lists of units for the routes all slanted? Obviously it is unintentional as the slanting is not consistent (im not wrong am i?) However i wouldve edited the page to rectify this, but alas, i cant, which is fair enough. But will it be fixed, or is there a way i could do it? Does wiki support html formatting? it should right?

-TimA

Weeble

Community Manager
Administrator
As far as I'm aware, the 'slanting' (read: indenting) actually shows branches of routes.
There's some great guides on how to edit the wiki over at MediaWiki. It supports semi-HTML along with a bit of basic HTML!

Weeble

Community Manager
Administrator
Depends entirely on where the errors are found. If they're on a "protected" page (ie one a normal user cannot edit), then get hold of a Sysop, otherwise, create an account and help improve the Wiki yourself!

timtadams

Landscape Designer
As far as I'm aware, the 'slanting' (read: indenting) actually shows branches of routes.
There's some great guides on how to edit the wiki over at MediaWiki. It supports semi-HTML along with a bit of basic HTML!

Now that you have clarified that, i can see how it works. Thankyou :)
Btw, is it really necessary? I just think it makes it look messy...

flameharvester

Head Gardener
It does look mildly messy but it really makes the table make a lot of sense, I have an idea to improve it however, If we create an image which we use as a background and align the names with that (or use a .png image so the names are part of the image and still hyperlinked) it can have arrows to demonstrate it.

TheNamelessWonder

Tree Surgeon
I still wanna know what the hell was wrong with the old manual. Yes, it was in bad need of updates, but it was fundamentally sound. I have never seen a decent reason (nor any reason tbh) why the manual went away entirely.

Weeble

Community Manager
Administrator
Azzer removed the rest of the manual when he switched to the Age 5 server as he felt it was no longer needed, considering the information was already in the Wiki.

I will try and see what I can do about the layout though - I do agree in that it could be a bit more intuitive! Any suggestions are more than welcome - either reply to this thread or send me a PM!