Are you suffering slow page speeds?

Alvestein

Garden Designer
yus yus, i dont think i can play with this. was one of the things i loved about bush. :)

BlackWolf

Landscape Designer
I think providing Tiscali with trace route might also help them to narrow their problems.

So just start/run/cmd
Then type:
tracert www.bushtarion.com

Copy results and send those to Tiscali technical support. Also telling them that page load time is lousy even you dont use DNS as Azzer said is info that Tiscali should be notified of.

Sounds like poor pretty ISP to me, so maybe even threatening to change ISP may work.

Azzer

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
I think providing Tiscali with trace route might also help them to narrow their problems.

So just start/run/cmd
Then type:
tracert www.bushtarion.com
Copy results and send those to Tiscali technical support. Also telling them that page load time is lousy even you dont use DNS as Azzer said is info that Tiscali should be notified of.
Sounds like poor pretty ISP to me, so maybe even threatening to change ISP may work.
I've analysed a few traces myself, nothing obvious from it latency wise, but if Tiscali don't know their own data-routing, then it might help them find which "hop" is breaking. But really Tiscali technical support need to check it out for themselves. Still, I really recommend everyone suffering problems do contact their tech support so they are aware of a problem and might actually fix it.

And yes, Tiscali are a very bad ISP BlackWolf - in the UK, I think Tiscali are the most infamous ISP out of any major ISP available - they always have the highest rate of complaints, and highest volume of downtime and technical (as well as sometimes billing) problems.

I would personally suggest everybody avoid ever using Tiscali regardless of how "cheap" they may seem (and shop around - there are some incredibly cheap broadband packages available from other providers these days).

Yang

Harvester
Its about half the price of other ISPs :p

That's like the only benefit lol...

Azzer

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Its about half the price of other ISPs :p
That's like the only benefit lol...

How do you figure that? A quick look on any price comparison website, and Tiscali frankly looks expensive these days. Have a quick look on a price comparison website like GoCompare;
http://www.broadbandchoices.co.uk/calculator.asp
Pop in your postcode and check out some of the alternative packages by price.

I know for certain that Tiscali is no longer the cheapest package available, but is the least reliable - they've been able to keep their prices up while other providers offer cheaper services because they'd already built a reputation of "cheapest broadband" - and that reputation seems to be sticking without any facts backing it up any more!

Also if you've got Virgin in your area, and currently have Sky Satelite TV, I'd even look in to doing what I did - switching all services (Telephone, broadband & TV) to Virgin media - I think I'm saving around £50-£60 a month this way from my old total monthly outgoings... or look in to any other "bundle" packages available in your area. If money is your chief concern, that is.

Either way though - I'd seriously suggest finding an alternative to Tiscali, whatever you decide to do.

Yang

Harvester
When we signed up a few years ago it was :/

Now I'm bound to the contract :'(

Azzer

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
When we signed up a few years ago it was :/
Now I'm bound to the contract :'(

Contract will only be 12 months at most, and even then, most companies will let you cancel it early if you phone them up and say you want to cancel it. Also many contracts can only be contracted for in the *INITIAL* 12 months, and beyond that, they go on a month by month basis (eg if you get a new Sky dish, you're contracted for 12 months... but if at 16 months in you want to cancel, you can do so instantly - you don't have to wait for the 24th month to cancel). Either way I'd look at cancelling it as soon as possible - save yourselves some money, and get a better ISP ;)

Martin

Garden Designer
Super Moderator
Community Operator
Just as an add on, with them kind of contracts the worst thing you generally have to do is give about 4 weeks/1 month notice. Which basically means one monthly payment after you cancell them, if you are out of the 12 month period.

Always shop around for anything, car insurance/broadband. Worst case scenario is that you realise you have already got the best deal. I think a survey was done a couple of years ago, and those who shopped around for car insurance each year saved themselves £100 or so on average. So it's a good habit to get into!

Even if your current provider is awesome, shop around and if someone else is cheaper, call them up and barter, generally service industries will negotiate on prices and fees in order to obtain or keep your custom :)