Left 4 Dead

rawr

Weeder
Anyone played or play this? I bought it the other day and i think its actually amazing. Very jumpy and intense, and you can just keep re playing and replaying it, none of the zombies spawn in the same places, none of the characters use the same lines over and over again, everything is dynamic. Literally you'l find your self fighting like 200 zombies at some points. its amazing.
so i suggest you get it.
Add me onto friends if you have it
Uber1337rawr
:)

Azzer

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Re: Left 4 Dead

I've added it to my Christmas wish list, so early next year I'll probably get in to it ^^ I like a good zombie game, and have heard good things about this.

Markb

Harvester
Community Operator

Bought it at the weekend, installed it tonight. Played the first chapter of the single player tonight, its an absolutely awesome game.

Can't wait to play it co-op with my friends

(btw, buy it retail, either from amazon,play.com or in a shop - its £35 on steam, save yourself a little bit of money!)

BlackWolf

Landscape Designer

I need a littlebit help before I am going to get this game so one of you who has it if you could be so nice and test it...
You see only reason why I might get this game would be if I can play it with Yuki on lan but by buying only 1 game. Hell I have no intentions to buy 2 copies of the game to 1 household that is just freaking ridiculous...
So if one of you guys has 2 comps and few mins of time and would like to test for me if it is possible to play on LAN with only 1 copy I would really apresiate it.
Thanks.

BlackWolf

Landscape Designer

Here comes the BW whineage about this game...
I simply dont like it, I have now played through 2 stages, 1 with Yuki and one on single player and I simply cant find anything in it... So lets start from beginning...

There are no "zombies" in game... they are humans that have mutated throught rapies or something... and there are few types of them. First are normal zombies these are everywhere and you can stand 1 feet from them and they do nothing unless you harm them in which case they turn to zombie type 2... type 2 is rapid zombies these moves very fast running towards you coming over fences etc. they are mad and usually comes in packs, they are very weak and even if you shoot them to arm or leg they just die. Their strength is in mass and in speed, making all kind of machineguns usually useless. Then there are few types of super zombies, 1 which explodes, 1 which has long tongue, 1 jumps over you and beats you, 1 very very strong one that can hit you way back and 1 which kills you with 1 blow if you get her attention. All supers are more or less strong but majority of them can kill you very easily without you being able to do anything unless teamie saves you.

Then to actual whining...
First of all I dont get any kind of feeling for battling for my life, theres bunch of zombies here and there and they dont do **** unless you fire them to their face, and if you do then the next guy doesnt do anything.
When they do attack, you just keep hammering them down and firing when you will, usually whole idea is that zombies comes from behind, from holes, from rooftops here and over fences there, from places that you have just cleaned up. I have always hated respawning enemies coming from behind my back, so no thanks I really dont like it. Also they are way too weak and whole playing is more like spray and pray and blasting all around without any aiming or idea in it. Whole gaming feels more like mess than actually fighting for your life and defending yourself from letting them get close.

Then theres those "super zombies" FFS... When I played with Yuki or when I did it alone nothing changed... The one going first always gets trapped, your team doesnt really scatter around and have troubles finding each others and be alone anywhere, and even if they do only power those zombies have are those super ones. No matter of what super zombie there is they are way overpowered, maybe the idea was that they can trap you and kill you if others wont help, I just dont like how it works... 99% of time you fight against mindless mass which cant do smeg and then that 1% of time you are trapped without being able to do anything waiting for either friend or stupid AI to "run" (read spawn) beasides you to help you. In mean while those super zombies are doing insanely good damage to you and you can just sit and watch and wait if you are saved in next 3 seconds or not.

Then theres those guns... USELESS! Whole game has what 6 guns and exactly one of those is usable gun, in mean while you are trying to get that gun, after you do theres nothing you should worry. Sniper... useless as only thing it is good for is for situations where you can kill them with pistols or by hammering them down with fists/back of your gun. Uzi is useless not enought damage and not enought bullets, and when firing you miss 90% of time, same goes to machine gun. So only working gun in whole game is shot gun. Which is doing way too much damage for you to feel like being in real troubles.

Then there is that super "AI" which is tracking your going and keeping it "interesting", after 10 buildings and not finding any bullets/bombs or anything you just get frustrated. Sure it is nice that I have 95 health and all kind of stuff already but hey my shotgun has only 5 bullets left why do you think I am running from house to house? It just doesnt work, either enemies are coming with huge masses or they dont come at all... I was expecting thousands of zombies coming from everywhere and guns blazing all the time, not walking to middle of the street and firing all zombies down without them even doing anything and then spending next 5 minutes without single enemy trying to find more bullets/ healing packs.

Then there is the whole story thing, I pologiese to anyone who thinks that it is fun to play with 4 people against mindless coputer, but I dont. I was hoping to get some kind of story which would be full of black humour and all kind of stupid zombie jokes... nope I didnt. Instead I got no explain for what is going and why I am fighting.

Then there is this "I keep re playing" thing. Well I dont, maps are like mazes at first time, it took me very good while trying to figure where I was supposed to go next, way too many times. "Noo you must go to upstairs throught that window and over this alley on that wooden bridge you barely could see from below". It may be that there is some kind of map somewhere but I have not found it. And next time you know where to go and what to do and lose all the fun of even that lost feeling.
I dont get what is the fun/idea in only 4 maps and then zombies summoning to different places, all statical "here they come" stuff is still on same places. Why dont maps alter? Different doors and routes open? Also you dont get any cool "here is Tank for you from there comes 1500 zombies, kick their ass" feelings you get some mounted guns which are more or less useless 99% of the time and if they are not they are so overpowered that no zombies can come throught from there. I dont see much re playing in that if the zombie is behind same door on left or right.
You have simply nothing to aim for, there are no cooler guns or grenades if you play game throught 100 times and there are no miniguns waiting if you play throught 10000 times. So what is the point?

I simply couldnt find myself enjoying of "zombie" blasting with 3 stupid AI friends or with 2 stupid AI friends and Yuki. We both came to same conclusion that actually whole game is pretty darn boring, unless you like of very fast attacking zombies and helping others against super zombies... Maybe if you would be there alone fighting or just with your friends and no super zombies but 10 times more normal ones which would be insanely agressive but not even nearly as fast and you would be fighting for your life all the time and then when you were just about to die you would find some medikits etc. it could be fun...

I really was expecting stuff like you have long long road in middle of the town with some mounted guns and then you see insane mass of zombies coming towards you from other end of the road and you and your friends try to blast them with best of your skill before they get too close. All that kind of stuff you see in zombie movies where they just keep coming and coming and you keep firing them down and then they keep crawling and theres tons and tons of them and you just fire and fire and back away and try to keep them away...
Now it is just mindless blasting from entrances of alleys from rooftops etc. untill whole area is cleared of zombies or just walking to them 1 by 1 and killing them while next 10 which are 3 feets away do nothing, and waiting where is next super zombie that will trap you down or kill with 1 blow. Whole game is based on that zombies can do anything else but shoot with guns... they are way too fast (when AI thinks that zombie must be fast angry one) and they come over walls, from holes, summon behind corners etc... and they die with couple of shots without whining back. So they are more like humans with bare hands coming to you than zombies. There is no such intensive feeling like in movies where zombies are mindless slow moving mass that no matter how hard you fire just keeps coming.

I/we just dont get our kicks from games like that.

Alcibiades

Plant Geneticist

BlackWolf said:
Whole game is based on that zombies can do anything else but shoot with guns... they are way too fast (when AI thinks that zombie must be fast angry one) and they come over walls, from holes, summon behind corners etc... and they die with couple of shots without whining back. So they are more like humans with bare hands coming to you than zombies. There is no such intensive feeling like in movies where zombies are mindless slow moving mass that no matter how hard you fire just keeps coming.

That's your definition of zombie. There are plenty of interpretations in film and novel form that show/represent fast, powerful, agressive zombies. I find those more scary than the lumbering 'braaaaaaaaaaaaaaains' type zombies. I feel that this angle in particular you're disappointed because it doesn't fit your view of how zombies should be. Tough.

As for the game... haven't got it yet but rest assured i will. And will probably have a view completely opposite to yours. ;)

Sorry to hear you don't enjoy any games tho... maybe next time?

BlackWolf

Landscape Designer

I enjoy lots of games, and games problem is not how those zombies are not what I think zombies should be, it is that how those zombies dont make you feel threated. You dont have any kind of pressure which would pump adrenaline to your veins and make you feel like rat trapped to a corner and been pushed bit by bit back. Instead all you get is few seconds of pressure from additional fast moving mass that cant actually do anything, and isnt even that fun to kill. They come to you so fast and do so little, that game turns to mess where you shoot left and right without ever been even really in trouble. I was expecting to play intense game yes, but I think intense means more than being surrounded by 30 zombies and more coming all the time which runs to you in mere seconds but when gets there cant even hurt you. I expected intense to be that no matter how much you shoot they just keeps coming from everywhere, but would be at you in seconds but being so overwhelming in mass.
I can clearly tell how you have not played that game. Unfortunately fast moving and weak for me is combo that works for few, but it doesnt work as majority of games enemies. They make using majority of guns useless, they are not really scary or life threatening and most of the time they are more annoying than anything else. And turning whole game to close combat where you just whack and blast left and right but dont get hurt yourself.

Maybe I am different kind of player or something, but I need some reason to play a game. Let it be anything. For such simple things like being able to unlock different pistols like Desert eagle which would be blasting a lot harder or beretta 93R with full auto I would play for weeks. Now theres like nothing in that game which would push me to play it. This game is like so full of promise and yet it delivers such little it is a very very big dissapointment for me. I read first bunch of reviews and all were praising how cool and good this game is, and then when I played it I found simply nothing that it was promised to be.

Azzer

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator

Try the Half Life 2 total conversion "Zombie Panic!" (it's free, well, you need to have HL2). I don't have L4D so can't compare it, but Zombie Panic! was an awesome mod. It's multiplayer only - and there is no AI players. All players are either humans, or zombies.... each level usually started with all but 1 person a zombie, and that person was a "super zombie". Any player he killed became a zombie (so each human only had 1 life), and the zombies had a "shared pool" of lives (which increased a little every time a new human was turned in to a zombie). There was very very limited ammo on any level, so you really did feel pressure... you could also move objects like furniture in to doorways to try and barricade yourselves in places. I've not played it in a long time, but looking at their website, they've got a lot more levels and stuff than they used to. Probably one of the best mods I've ever played for a game;
http://www.zombiepanic.org/site/index.php

Btw as you seem to have bought the game BlackWolf and mentioned playing it with Yuki, can you answer your own question that you first asked, as I'd like to know if I can play with my brother on one copy - does one copy of the game work for two computers over LAN play? What about online server/multiplayer games? Let me know please! Hopefully I'll be getting this (left 4 dead) for Chrimbo :)

BlackWolf

Landscape Designer

I am sorry to dissapoint you Azzer, but since they took L4D demo off the web I had no other option but to dl it to try it. I dont buy games which I cant see anything else but some videos on web.

Yes I got it to work simply by using console commands to run first server and then to connect directly to right IP. Should work for real version too, those it makes stuff bit harder as it is meant to be ran over steam not directly.

Gooner

Head Gardener

Looks soooooooooo good...
and I dont care what what Blackwolf says...im not even gonna read what he had to say

BlackWolf

Landscape Designer

Gooner: You read or dont, it is always up to you, but I must say that if you think L4D looks good then you have not played single FPS game that has come out in recent years. It is built on old already existing 3D world, which was used in HL 2. So it really doesnt look that good.

But it runs on much more comps than just top end ones, unlike Crysis etc.

Podunk

Head Gardener

Superb fun! Trust me if you go onto advanced difficulty or expert you will get the feeling that you are fighting for your life.
1 zombie hit in Expert takes away 10 health out of 100... so if you get stuck in a swarm you will get knocked down/killed.

There is a versus mode, but not what you would think. 4 People play as the survivors, then 4 people play as the infected. Basically each team has one shot at each scene. When you're the survivors you try to survive and make it to the safe rooms, as the infected you attempt to hinder/kill the survivors and make it hard as possible.

Then based on how much health you have left at the end and how far you got in the scene you get a score. After that the teams swap for that scene and they play for that same score.

After you get the score you move to the next act and its the same until the end of the movie. (Each of the campaigns is supposed to be a separate 'film' hence "the end of the movie.")

Soo if you enjoy a good co-op fight for your life game L4D is fun!

Sorry for the complete lack of organization in this post :p

TehPantz

Head Gardener

L4D is bad only for the reason that it is stealing all my clan members from Team Fortress 2 :(

Cyrus

Official Helper
Community Operator

Ok this is rawr (Kelsey), Cy is logged in on my comp and i cba to re-log. Anyway, i read your post BW, and i think you should give versus a shot. In versus, like Podunk said, 8 people. 4 survivor, 4 infected. The game is meant to be played with more than just 1 or 2 people. With 1 or 2 people, it is boring. I agree. But when your playing with 8 people, it dosent matter what side your on, i much prefer to play as infected, trying to ambush the survivors with my team mates, communication, planning and teamwork. Killing the silly survivor that ran off on his own while his team mates are sticking together. I suppose i should mention on Vs you get to play as the special infected. So thats either the Smoker( Guy with long tongue that pulls survivors towards him), Boomer (Big fat geezer thats like a bomb, his attack is to be sick on the survivors, once he's sick on the survivor(s) a horde of zombies charge and attack the player that has been vommited on, its basically like that survivor is "it" for however long the vomit stays on for, if he gets to close, and you kill him, vomit covers any survivors that were in range. Same rules apply here, lots of zombies run out and attack whoever has been vommited on) The hunter ( Moves very quick, pounces on survivors and deals quite alot of damage.) and every now aand again you get to play as a tank, which basically is a massive zombie with shitloads of health, he hits for a lot. hes like a boss i suppose. But i don't know what you mean about the special infected being too overpowered? The smoker boomer and hunter die very very easily. The only ones that dont die easily, are the ones that arent supposed to. The witch as you said that kills people in 1 shot, is meant to do that, your supposed to sneak around her. And the tank is basically just a boss, so he isnt supposed to die easily.
Play through the commentary level on extras, it gives you lots of information on the game. Like a few months before the game was released, they only had versus as a game mode. The aim of the game is to get people working together, and work as a team, like most people who have played it. If you go wandering off on your own as a survivor, your dead meat. But if you stick together and work as a team chances are you'll survive and win the round.
It was meant to be played online just like Counter Strike, its no fun playing CS with you and a mate, just killing bots. It's just boring. But when theres say 10 Vs 10, its fun. Same with L4D.
So, in summary give the online modes a go. If you still don't even think its worth playing. fair enough.
Also about the guns, i agree. More weapons pelase! :)

Edit: Also agree with Azzer Zombie Panic is an awesome game. So if you would like a free alternative with no bots go for it. They are both 2 very different types of games though. :)

Markb

Harvester
Community Operator

TehPantz said:
L4D is bad only for the reason that it is stealing all my clan members from Team Fortress 2 :(

Yea, most of the clan I'm in have L4D and are playing it quite a lot. I did a Versus game last night with em, and it was soooooooooooooooo fun.

Some of us did some TF2 last night though, which we haven't done in a while as we did play in the European TF2 league and had a break from TF2!

Twigley

Hydroponics Developer

THIS GAME IS AMAZING. !!!!!!!!!!!

So fun when you get a team that talks to each other.
Me and these other 3 dudes completed every level then went onto versus mode and kicked ass on that.

2 English, 1 Irish and an American :D
Love it.

But the American kept doing friendly fire :(

Maxi

Head Gardener
Super Moderator
Community Operator

Awesome game. I'm hooked. Account name: 'ExAequo' on steam if you want to game! :D