keep clarkson on top gear

hawkes

Weeder
Re: keep clarkson on top gear

The BBC is at the centre of another "bad taste" controversy after Top Gear presenter Jeremy Clarkson joked that lorry drivers spend their time "murdering prostitutes".

His comments were aired on Sunday night, in the midst of the public outcry over obscene phone calls made by Jonathan Ross and Russell Brand to Fawlty Towers actor Andrew Sachs.

The pre-recorded remarks made by Clarkson were cleared for broadcast by senior BBC executives.

But they have prompted nearly 200 viewer complaints and a furious response from victim support groups and road hauliers. Ofcom, the media regulator, has also received complaints and is considering an investigation.

Clarkson and his co-presenters, James May and Richard Hammond, were taking part in a stunt for the BBC2 show which involved driving lorries around an obstacle course.

Climbing behind the wheel, Clarkson mused: "What matters to lorry drivers? Murdering prostitutes? Fuel economy?"

He went on: "This is a hard job, and I'm not just saying this to win favour with lorry drivers. It's a hard job - change gear, change gear, change gear, check your mirrors, murder a prostitute, change gear, change gear, murder. That's a lot of effort in a day."

The Road Haulage Association, which represents Britain's 9,000 haulage companies, has demanded a public apology from the presenter. Spokeswoman Kate Gibbs said: "Road hauliers are having a hard enough time as it is without the kind of ridiculous comments being made. In a week following thousands of similar complaints to the BBC over comments made by Jonathan Ross and Russell Brand, this is in particularly poor taste. It is just another example of celebrities having the licence to say absolutely anything they like.

"This is an unacceptable ... slur on the character of lorry drivers and the character of the industry, and it is grossly unfair. It's up to the BBC what action they take against Clarkson but we are certainly demanding an apology over these disgraceful comments."

A spokesman for the United Road Transport Union said it had been inundated with complaints from its 17,000 members. "We would absoltuely condenm what he said about murdering prostitutes. It ebggars belief that those words can be broadcast on TV. The BBC is an institution that is paid for by the licence fee and they should not be allowing this kind of sick joke."

Clarkson's joke is believed to be a reference to 'Suffolk Strangler' Steve Wright, jailed earlier this year for the murder of five Ipswich prostitutes. The Yorkshire Ripper, Peter Sutcliffe, who killed 13 women, was also a lorry driver.

Victim Support denounced the presenter's "deeply offensive and insensitive remark", adding; "It is impossible to understand why Mr Clarkson believes that making light of the murder of women is acceptable as light entertainment."

A spokeswoman for the English Collective of Prostitute said: "This is a truly heartless comment. In the wake of the murders of five young women in Ipswich and the killing of over 60 prostitute women in the last 10 years, how did this remark come to be broadcast? Mr Clarkson should apologise immediately to prostitute women and our families, especially those of us bereaved by murder."

The BBC was roundly criticised for its poor handling of the Jonathan Ross affair. However, despite the latest complaints, the BBC defended Top Gear.

It issued a statement which read: "The vast majority of Top Gear viewers have clear expectations of Jeremy Clarkson's long-established and frequently provocative on-screen persona. This particular reference was used to comically exaggerate and make ridiculous an unfair urban myth about the world of lorry driving, and was not intended to cause offence."

Weeble

Community Manager
Administrator

If the BBC fired/suspended Clarkson, they would literally be committing social suicide. It's not something that's likely to happen.

f0xx

Landscape Designer

Mr Clarkson should apologise immediately to prostitute women

Can I see a rofl?

It was just a joke ffs, people should learn to have a sense of humour and recognise when someone is making a joke for fun other than trying to insult.

I ain't surprised though, lorry drivers have such a high IQ.

Azzer

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator

"Political Correctness is destroying society. Next thing you know we won't even be able to make jokes or cartoons about certain ficticious religious characters either... oh wait."

(was my signature on the petition)

BlackWolf

Landscape Designer

Shows how far people are going with their BS...
I can understand both sides of the story, yet I dont get what is that big deal on the way he said it. He didnt accuse anyone particulary or anything like that.

Tapey

Weeder

500 complained....25 000 000 didn't. Whats the problem????

quote from sumwhere

Alcibiades

Plant Geneticist

Nice quote Azzer. And I agree with you all so far; people need to lighten up about jokes. Especially comments that are blatantly made in a joking manner or are obviously meant to be exaggerating a stereotype so as to make it appear ridiculous. People need to get the stick surgically removed from deep within their rear cavities and learn to laugh.

pinpower

Landscape Designer
Super Moderator

this is one of the things that annoys me most about the society we live in...it was a joke...im finding it hard to imagine lorry drivers sitting at home and being outraged at that? Its obvious it was a joke...

grr, hearing this has genuinely made me mad

But, they wont fire him...if there is only 200 complaints then there is no chance...also, getting rid of him would basically destroy topgear...the most that will come out of it is that they will have to do a public apology and prob donate a few grand to some sort of prostitute appreciaion society (;))

Mattheus

Head Gardener

Yeah madness etc

pinpower said:
But, they wont fire him...if there is only 200 complaints then there is no chance...

The funny thing is, in the Jonathan Ross/Russel Brand case there was only 2 or 3 complaints when it was first aired. Then the Daily Mail got wind of it and ran with it in full bitching mode. After that thousands of people suddenly 'decided' they were offended and complained. Complaints were still coming in a week later. Sheep the lot of them :/

Welshie

Harvester

Although I disapprove of this kind of over-reaction, it seems to me that the "free speech" activists are also going overboard. I quote the title of the petition:

Once again the minorities are having a go at JC, sign the petition and show your support for one of the only people on the box who's not afraid to speak his mind.

"Not afraid to speak his mind?" - He's not making a political statement against lorry drivers, he's making a joke. If he was trying to make a political statement then those people complaining would be in the right. But he's not, he's making a joke which probably has no bearing on what he actually thinks or believes. In defending Clarkson, you can take 1 of 2 stances:

1. He's right. Lorry drivers are prostitute-murdering scum - Let's kill them all.
2. It's a joke.

The title of that petition seems to imply that the people who wrote it have adopted stance number 1.

Azzer

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator

I think that's just down to stupidity more than anything Welshie, I don't think anyone actually think's JC has taken a political stance against lorry drivers and is now being persecuted for it.

And in reply to Mattheus - I like the wording there.... and it's exactly what happens... people "deciding" to get offended, rather than actually getting offended... and this seems to be the case in almost all of these sorts of things. Somebody deciding they want to be offended and join in, not actually getting personally offended as their first and initial reaction the first time they heard it.

Harbinger

Pruner

PC gone mad is one argument - and then there is respect :mad:

The death of 5 prostitutes by lorry driver Steve Wright was only 2 years ago - his trial was less than a year ago I think - it is still fresh in the public's conscience and will always be fresh in the minds of the relatives. Telling a joke in a pub with your mates is one thing (and I accept it was a joke - albeit in bad taste) - telling it in front of millions on television is something quite different - an audience that may well have included members of the victims' families.

Should he be sacked? No I don't think so. Should he be reprimanded? Yes Should he make a public apology? Most definitely.

The show is recorded on a Wednesday for transmission on the Sunday - the editor and producer should also be reprimanded for an appalling lack of judgement.

P.S. it's interesting how all those who have posted above, and who are defending Clarkson, are male :roll:

tobapopalos

Hydroponics Developer

Maybe that's because there are only like 2 or 3 women that frequent these forums compared to a hell of a lot more males? I don't think there's anything interesting about that, but maybe that's because I'm not looking for evidence of some sexist conspiracy.

I see this entire episode as a bad joke. I was hoping that it was merely a piss-take of the whole Ross/Brand event. I've looked around for some evidence that this whole thing is a hoax, but unfortunately it seems that it is not.

Some people just need to stop bitching and moaning about every little thing and develop a sense of humour.

timtadams

Landscape Designer

WTF? why the heck are people whining about some stupid joke that some dude said on television? Comedians joke about serious things, such as murder and crime all the time! And it is not uncommon for a stereotype to be grossly exaggerated for others amusement. Now why is it that when Jeremy does both that he is castrated for it?! Why dont we just fire every comedian while we are at it? and its usually the brutal comedians that are the best, crossing that line all the bloody time! So get over it! If some people cant take a joke, then they shouldn't be watching Jeremy Clarkson.

btw, dont people have better things to be worrying about than a JOKE?

Illumination

Head Gardener

Id be offended if I were a prostitute. But since Im not a prostitute, I dont feel that I should be any more offended than males who are not prostitutes. I may have missed it, but I dont remember reading anywhere that said lorry drivers like to kill only female prostitutes.

There, a woman from the game has spoken. *Flings back hair and goes to finish reading Cosmopolitan*;)

Twigley

Hydroponics Developer

Signed!

I just said "Axe Clarkson and Axe your ratings".

Defender

Weeder

f0xx said:
I ain't surprised though, lorry drivers have such a high IQ.

you would be supprised, a;though i'm not a lorry driver by trade i do have all the liscences for it, and it is a lot harder then driving a tiny car around.
also my IQ isnt to shabby at 130+

Defender

Weeder

also i dont think they can axe clarkson from topgear, i'm pretty sure that between him may and hamster they own the actual rights to the show.