Employment Status

• Total voters

Azzer

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Re: Employment Status

TheNamelessWonder said:
Azzer totally ruined my poll, totally defeated what I was getting at. Thanks guy.
^not joking
I just wanted to see who was "contributing to society" and who wasn't :eek:
I had Employed, Unemployed, and Student (no job), because students aren't technically unemployed nor employed.
But oh well. The damage is done, carry on :snipersmile:

So if you add up the totals as such:

Employed [old option] = total of Employed + Self Employed + Student with Job
Unemployed [old option] = Unemployed + Retired
Student [old option] = Student without job (or add student with job here if you think a student with a job is not contributing but doesn't count as unemployed, your choice of interpretation)

How on earth do the totals amount to any difference whatsoever with your original options, while now allowing people to pick more accurate answers and get other information from the poll at the same time not previously available with your original poll options?

If I'm missing something (ie adding up numbers from multiple poll options is not a possibility because of maths allergies etc.) please let me know... I wouldn't have changed it if I didn't think you could still get the same information from the new options.

harriergirl

Landscape Designer

that's okay azz, I picked self employed because I don't feel that staying home to care for 3 children is exactly un-employed or lack of societal contribution.

Garrett

Landscape Designer

at least in america - student with a job is still paying taxes (at least i was when i was a student AND working)

nameless just start a live journal and have your retarded smeg there and leave this forum for other peoples retarded smeg.

Max

Garden Designer

I'll be honest I'm a student and I have no idea how people are able to work at the same time. I have ten hours of laboratory time a week, an hour's tutorial and about 10 hours of lectures a week. For every hour spent in uni, I'm expected to put in the same at home. On top of this there are reports to write and about 4 problem sheets a week. How on earth do people find the time to work??? >:p

Alcibiades

Plant Geneticist

Garrett said:
at least in america - student with a job is still paying taxes (at least i was when i was a student AND working)

I"m a working student and I pay taxes. :) The Government certainly does consider me employed, however, being a student i get significant tax breaks and get to write off a ton of my tuition. I'm not entirely certain of the whys or hows of that system but that's why i hire someone to do my taxes.

Max: Not all students are science students so they don't have to spend their time in labs or doing 4 assignments a week. I'm a history student, and I can do all my work from home: i might have 2 essays a term, with 2 short papers, and maybe 2 exams: one midterm and one final. That's all work i can do from home, or from a computer whilst reading. I.e. i can refresh without really interrupting my train of thought. I don't even really need to attend lectures so long as I do the required readings; hand in assignments and write the exams. Providing of course, the teacher doesn't take attendance. (which is absurd in university if you ask me).

So while i might spend a few hours a day at lecture I can usually bring my lappy with me so i'm active on bush as we have wireless all over campus; and then i'm home usually to play bush for awhile then off to work, back home to play bush, sleep, school, bush rinse repeat. i found that when i worked and did school and played I had to manage my time fairly effectively; i think my schoolwork suffered a bit from the gameplay, but if i wasn't playing bushtarion i'd certainly have found something else to distract my mind.

TheNamelessWonder

Tree Surgeon

Max said:
I'll be honest I'm a student and I have no idea how people are able to work at the same time. I have ten hours of laboratory time a week, an hour's tutorial and about 10 hours of lectures a week. For every hour spent in uni, I'm expected to put in the same at home. On top of this there are reports to write and about 4 problem sheets a week. How on earth do people find the time to work??? >:p

A girl I know at school here also works FULL TIME. 40h/week. Hell if I know how.

aGit

Harvester

Max said:

Not everyone has schedules such as yours. I for example have no lectures on fridays at all, and only about 25h per week all together. That leaves enough time to pull off few shifts after or before lectures.

TheNamelessWonder said:
I just wanted to see who was "contributing to society" and who wasn't

I had Employed, Unemployed, and Student (no job), because students aren't technically unemployed nor employed.

But oh well. The damage is done, carry on

how on earth can you not gather that information from the exsisting data? The options you had in first were skewed and lacked the option for students who WORK and attend lectures at the same time. That is a quite a big chunk of people to be ignored right there and doing so would render your findings useless anyways.

TheNamelessWonder

Tree Surgeon

My point was, that I don't give a **** if you are both a student and work. Because you you have a job. That's all I cared about. It was either
1) You have a job.
2) You don't have a job.
3) You don't have a job, but you're a student.

I had no use to break it down further than that.

Azzer

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator

TheNamelessWonder said:
My point was, that I don't give a **** if you are both a student and work. Because you you have a job. That's all I cared about. It was either
1) You have a job.
2) You don't have a job.
3) You don't have a job, but you're a student.
I had no use to break it down further than that.
But just a few posts ago you were complaining I had ruined your poll and the data was useless, now you're saying it's not uselss but simply you want it un-clear and simple for you (while harder for other people to answer accurately)... sounds to me like you're just complaining for the sake of complaining, or something else is on your mind. Sorry for editing your poll but given people were confused about what to vote for, I figured giving them clearer vote options while still maintaining the ability for you to get exactly the same figures you wanted would have been a good thing - as it meant win win on both sides. Apparently not, for whatever reasons you have (and those reasons are still unclear - what is wrong with the current poll options in terms of your ability to gather exactly the same data you wanted originally?).

Just for clarify, here's the info you wanted based on the current poll options (as of posting time);
1) "You have a job" = Options 1, 2 and 4 = 17 total
2) "You don't have a job" = Options 3 & 6 = 4 total
3) "You don't have a job, but you're a student" = Option 4 = 19 total
See, all that data there for you, and the users get to vote for options that actually apply to them... win win? :?

Anyway, I apologise for upsetting you, however it is I seem to have done it...

*still baffled*

pinpower

Landscape Designer
Super Moderator

lol, nameless...you suck

azzer has made it better, and you can still find out exactly what you wanted...just use that thing rattling around in your skull!!!

And yeah as agit said before it was ignoring a large proportion of people who will be answering so would be unrepresentative of the population and therefore ungeneralisable

To summarise...dont wine, azzcheese rules!

TheNamelessWonder

Tree Surgeon

But you see, I made this poll without thinking, and I wanted to be able to read and interpret it without thinking. All part of my master plan!

:microwave: