Fallout 3 is out!

Weeble

Community Manager
Administrator
Re: Fallout 3 is out! (in america)....

As Bunion said, if you wish, you can do the main quest line relatively quickly (matter of hours), but if you get sidetracked - which is fairly easy to do - or do a few side-quests then it'll take you in the order of days.

BlackWolf

Landscape Designer

I'm not impressed :(
First of all way too much bugs. I mean WAY WAY too much... Then theres those same BS problems as in S.T.A.L.K.E.R... driving me nuts.
Best was when I shot bandit down and while it was falling on exactly same spot miraculously spawned another bandit. FFS who wants to play game where people spawns to same spots when ever you go somewhere else? Same way at mall when I went to back room suprise suprise all those bandits I had just killed were brought back, with exactly same guns and outlooks. NO THANKS!

Want to continue? I'm currently at subway trying to get to Family place... theres boobie traps... what kind of human walks to boobie trap and then after boom doesnt realize thers damn surely more around... Noooo you just cant see those because your perseption isnt high enought... rofl.
Humans dont do stupid mistakes twice so FFS why they cant make it so after you walk to a trap you wont walk to another one 30 seconds later, which works exactly same way. Or you must be really really stupid.

Also I really dislike how at beginning of games theres always huge lack of bullets and at end you have more bullets than you can carry.... shouldnt it be another way around? Annoying as hell.

And as last I hate when I talk someone first time and then I somehow miraculously know their sons and wifes names even I have not even heard of them before... FFS. Also that is really annoying that I talk to someone and that guy is real a-hole to me at beginning and then suddenly after 2 lines he says: "Come back if you need something" Yeah right hey you were a-hole to me at the beginning why your acting so friendly now?

Bunion

Harvester

The only bugs I've discovered have been the occasional clipping issues; a molerat disappear through the floor, raiders walking up the sides of shopping carts and falling through it etc, nothing major :eek:

Alcibiades

Plant Geneticist

BlackWolf said:
I'm not impressed :(
First of all way too much bugs. I mean WAY WAY too much... Then theres those same BS problems as in S.T.A.L.K.E.R... driving me nuts.
Best was when I shot bandit down and while it was falling on exactly same spot miraculously spawned another bandit. FFS who wants to play game where people spawns to same spots when ever you go somewhere else? Same way at mall when I went to back room suprise suprise all those bandits I had just killed were brought back, with exactly same guns and outlooks. NO THANKS!

I haven't run into any bugs like that. I have had no enemies respawn immediately after i killed them. In the super duper mall once i killed people they stayed dead... So, maybe we're not playing the same game...

BlackWolf said:
Want to continue? I'm currently at subway trying to get to Family place... theres boobie traps... what kind of human walks to boobie trap and then after boom doesnt realize thers damn surely more around... Noooo you just cant see those because your perseption isnt high enought... rofl.
Humans dont do stupid mistakes twice so FFS why they cant make it so after you walk to a trap you wont walk to another one 30 seconds later, which works exactly same way. Or you must be really really stupid.

I guess you don't really understand how RPG games work. oh well.

BlackWolf said:
Also I really dislike how at beginning of games theres always huge lack of bullets and at end you have more bullets than you can carry.... shouldnt it be another way around? Annoying as hell.

Again, it doesn't seem like we're playing the same game. I don't have any ammunition troubles, i've got about 500 10 mm rounds, about 250 rifle rounds, and 400 Assault rifle rounds and i'm only a few hours into the game...? That's enough rounds for me, i mean hell i'm pretty inaccurate but i shouldn't need more than 1100 rounds without getting more. Maybe you're just not looking in the right places?

[quote"BlackWolf"And as last I hate when I talk someone first time and then I somehow miraculously know their sons and wifes names even I have not even heard of them before... FFS. Also that is really annoying that I talk to someone and that guy is real a-hole to me at beginning and then suddenly after 2 lines he says: "Come back if you need something" Yeah right hey you were a-hole to me at the beginning why your acting so friendly now?[/quote]

It is always a bit annoying in RPGs when it seems that you know more than you should, but imo it's a feature of RPG games. you always have to ask that extra line to get that extra bit of information that might just be what you need. i think the 'come back if you need something' is probably just a programmed line that they automatically say.

Frankly you seem to be overly picky with this game, and just seem not to enjoy RPG games. Sorry you're not enjoying this game tho, it seems that if you relaxed a bit and didn't get so worked up about tiny tiny issues then you might have more fun :(

BlackWolf

Landscape Designer

I think I'm allowed to be as picky as I want to be. Now I can add another BS thing to my list, which is that on action mode I maybe hit one shot of like 5 or so yet in aiming mode I have some 89% chances to hit to head... wtf!!

I know concept of RPG, yet I dont think RPG means that your dump as horse crap if your stats doesnt allow you to be smarter. I think stats should be dependable of situation. Whole Fallout 3 has been entertaining yes, but yet big disapointment for me. Endless running around doing stupid tasks to get few "coins", dragging loads of garbage to be sold at no price and endless rumble to find more bullets to guns than I'm using to kill even 1 enemy.

Game is full of all kind of a-hole creatures that attacks you all the time and in return you get nothing worth the time and funds wasted to even kill 1.

If it had been named like Fallout the future or something sure, but fallout 3... no.

Weeble

Community Manager
Administrator

Blackwolf, you're a muppet.

Obviously you really don't know the nature of RPGs, otherwise you wouldn't be complaining out of your solid evil buttocks.
Having a 89% chance to hit does not mean that you will hit every damn shot, 89% means exactly that, 89 shots out of 100 you will hit, the remaining 11 should miss. Don't blame the game because you're unlucky.

Stats should not, - I repeat - should not be dependable on situation, otherwise the whole point of statistics would be pointless... Every time you level you are asked to distribute A CERTAIN NUMBER OF STATISTICS POINTS based on what you feel appropriate/best for your character. Being able to re-assign stats points per scenario would be ridiculously overpowered. In RPGs you play a character that becomes more powerful in specific areas, not a character that is able to morph themselves to any given scenario.
Again, with your complaining about "endless running around doing stupid tasks to get a few 'coins'" is completely meaningless and frivolous. It is a nigh on impossible task to make RPGs un-repetitive, that is to say it's virtually impossible to make any quest in an RPG unlike any other quest before it. The "coins" (or in this case bottlecaps) are the currency and are completely fair. You get 1000 caps for nuking a city (enough to buy you, I don't know, maybe 800-1000 rounds of ammunition, depending on your bartering skills - way more than necessary), and a huge number of caps from any other quest, not to mention caps you get from raiding places, opening desks, filing cabinets, etc.

If you're clever, you can kill anybody in maybe three shots. If you're crap at aiming however, you could easily run into 60 shots per person. I'm guessing that's more a problem with your playing style than the game, but correct me if I'm wrong.

One more thing, which creatures are 'a-hole' creatures? Which one(s) attack you all the time with nothing for a reward? As far as I'm aware, every creature I've killed so far has yielded a good reward, even more so after you've invested in a couple of perks to gain more caps from evil/good creatures...
How would naming the game 'Fallout the Future' have made it any better as well? I fail to see your argument there...

Ah well. Each to their own, as they say.

BlackWolf

Landscape Designer

Lets see Weeble, I think your more of an muppet than I am, I have right and will to say what I think of any game. While instead you defend something that is not worth of defending. I have not said Fallout 3 is bad game, I just think there are too many bugs and stupid decisions. Hell Fallout 3 is excellent game, it still doesnt mean its perfect like all other posters seems to think. thats exactly why I say out loud all mistakes I find.
For example I needed to use console commands to complete one mission where I needed to repair some robots. Those robots just due bug werent there.

I also said that when I shoot WITHOUT targetting system I hit like 1 of 5 shots on average range. Yet when I at same spot press targetting system I have 89% chances to hit to head. Get my point? Why to make such combat system if those options are not even slightly on same level. I would rather shoot where I aim on normal action mode than been forced to go to targetting mode just so I can hit my enemies further than 3 feets away.

What comes to your RPG thing I dont agree. You are playing human in a game. If you walk to a mine on minefield you for damn sure wont do it again. (taking that you survive of that). Or you walk in some boobie trap on tunnel, you dont expect there to be more boobie traps and your alertness goes up for boobie traps? You dont become overpowered you are just becoming humane. If game makers must make such amount of traps to one place then after walking to one you damn sure should be able to spot others more easily. If not it is just annoying save/try/load/try/load/try/load or wast insane amount of your medicits to patch you up after each explosion.

What is the point of those traps anyways? I have thought I play game to have fun not to be annoyed by game makers.

Also I dont know what Fallout 3 you play but I get 1 piece of meat from every killed creature. Of which I get 5-10 bottle caps. With such money I cant even repair my armour or buy the same amount of ammunition I just lost to kill that creature. And those creatures are everywhere. I get attacked a lot.

I almost forgot to tell how BS system that repair thing is. Why the smeg you can repair your stuff on someone with like 15 repair skill for money, but to repair stuff yourself you need another piece of that same stuff and it wont even do much, yet your skill may be 70 which is only 55 more than that guys who repairs your stuff for money.

I dislike name Fallout 3 because that game is not fallout 3. That is very far from original Fallouts in every way. Its fun game yes, but it could be so much better.

Ohh as last, maybe you guys should tick that game off from easy and try it on some real hardness level, cause it may very well be that you guys are not getting what I mean due that.

pinpower

Landscape Designer
Super Moderator

Weeble said:
Anyone else found Dogmeat, your faithful companion? :D

yeah, i found dogmeat earlier while on the minefield quest...he is a legend! I did have to re-load a save once tho when he ran blindly into battle with this big mutant dog biatch who ripped him to shreds before i even noticed there was an enemy...lol

also, i sent him to get ammo, then fast traveled somewhere else and he didnt return for about 4 days...that was bad times...

On a side note, while some of the things BW is saying is a fair enough opinion i havnt had any problems with ammo at all...and not once has an enemy respawned...i went to the super duper mart the first day i played the game and i just went back there today and there wasnt the enemies that i killed before...

also....like alci said there are certain things you have complained about that just have to be part of an RPG like this...you have to be able to have access to a certain amount of conversation options, i mean in alot of cases you only get 1 chance to find out a particular set of info (or get a key/item etc) but for main story lines/quests you have to be able to have the options available whatever you say...also if it didnt come up with the names of the other characters it would be a nightmare trying to find stuff

Also, you talk about traps? Do you mean mines? Cos i personally have found them insanely easy to defuse and pick up...

Are you playing it on PC? Is the game slightly different to the 360 version (which is what im playing) from an enemies spawning/targetting (plus other stuff you mentioned)????

Alcibiades

Plant Geneticist

BlackWolf said:
I also said that when I shoot WITHOUT targetting system I hit like 1 of 5 shots on average range. Yet when I at same spot press targetting system I have 89% chances to hit to head. Get my point? Why to make such combat system if those options are not even slightly on same level. I would rather shoot where I aim on normal action mode than been forced to go to targetting mode just so I can hit my enemies further than 3 feets away.

No one is forcing you to use the targetting system. At least, not in the game i'm playing. My range doesn't seem to be hugely effective and while i may hit all 5/5 shots with my gun from range without VATS, it's more specific to the targetting and relative to your gun skills using VATS. Which makes perfect sense to me..... to be able to specifically target body parts at range would require more skill than just pumping a few rounds into a target from a similar distance away. As you seem to be on a crusade for realism in an RPG, perhaps you should consider that.

BlackWolf said:
Ohh as last, maybe you guys should tick that game off from easy and try it on some real hardness level, cause it may very well be that you guys are not getting what I mean due that.

i'm playing it on Hard so i'm not convinced that's the problem. Perhaps pinpower is maybe the difference is due to PC/Xbox variation...

I don't think the game is perfect, but it's certainly not as poor as you make it out to be. As i posted everywhere when i was asked, if you liked Oblivion/Morrowind RPG games, then you will like Fallout 3. if you prefer games like Fable which are Action-RPG then you won't like it.

BlackWolf

Landscape Designer

Yes I'm playing on PC, yesterday when I entered that facility (in middle of DC?) wheres lots of robots and when I came out had all those super mutants respawned back to buildings surrounding it... annoying!

From every bit I read I get the impression you guys dont understand my targetting problem... You tip it exactly opposite of what I am saying. I mean that when you are on normal mode I cant hit a freaking wall even I am inside the building. Yet when I from same position go to VATS I have 90% chances to hit head. Understand? Why I cant shoot where I am aiming, yet when computer is aiming I get huge hitting percentage.

I just dont see point of making game where you have 2 options to use and then 1 of those is nearly useless. All I ask is that If I aim to head on normal mode my bullets would go to even nearly to that direction not missing by mile when firing over few feets away, and I tell you I aint that bad at aiming, just bullets dont go to even close to my crosshair but all around it. Yes and my gun skill is almost 100, so cant be that.

Also on PC there are boobie traps like grenades in cans etc. not mines. I love mines, easy money. There seems to be a lot of bugs on PC version that xbox doesnt have and people have got really annoyed over those. Me included.

Alcibiades

Plant Geneticist

That seems to be the difference then BW and i can only hope the patches help resolve those problems. They do indeed sound frustrating...

As far as the shooting goes, you seem to be saying that in normal mode you can't hit anything, and then in VATS mode suddenly you have 90% or different chance of hitting something? Must be another PC screw up, because i'm more likely to hit people with normal targetting; and VATS is a little trickier, but i'm still not a huge way into the game, and my small arms skill is only medium. VATS was added so you could have fun targetting body parts and seeing slow motion kills imo. I don't find it takes away from my enjoyment of the game. Then again i'm not trying to find mistakes either...

pinpower

Landscape Designer
Super Moderator

was just about to post basically when alci did...i was just playing and i consistantly hit enemies alot further away with manual targetting and then when using VATS most shots would miss...

i think it might again be a PC difference...however, BW are you repairing your weapons and keeping them to a fair standard???

On a side note, i just got hunted down by some random bounty hunter people...was awesome...im loving the shotgun to the face shots!!!

x

Alcibiades

Plant Geneticist

Aye the combat shotgun owns!

pinpower

Landscape Designer
Super Moderator

"hey look theres a face..."

BANG!!!

*face flies down a hill..."

BlackWolf

Landscape Designer

Ok I am pretty fustrated now...

First I spent 2.5 hours searching for that radio station... I killed same creeps on sewers and same mutants on ground again and again. Funnily their bodies stay on place but they still spawn... rofl.
Then I spent another hour wonderinf what to do next, as it seems that no matter what I do I always am able to disable some possibilities of doing, and it is shitty to find anything.

I dont know about xbox, but I'm frustrated to try to find something that is about there... specially in DC area this is getting annoying. I'm like half way throught the game and my level is 17... If I have understood right max level is 20... so I bet you all can think what it feels like to fight same raiders again when you kill them with couple of shots from your abe lincoln rifle... 100th time.

I dont know but it seems that if I dont do things like game makers wants then whole thing collapses to my hands, and that is exactly what is happening on me... I dont even bother with mutants and raiders etc. anymore. I run at them with some rifle and shoot to head with VATS, or use ful auto on normal mode and aim head... They cant even really hurt me and if they do I have 200 stims to patch me up.

And must say yes. Now you all finally got my frustration... I cant hit a smeg with normal mode... It is only usefull when I'm on close combat and aim to head with full clib... rest of the time I cant even kill one smegger if he is 20 feets away, unless I use VATS and even with that it takes some shots so you can only use it to 1-2 enemies. Yet theres always 4 of them. I had 3 minutes fight with one minigun enemie which was 50m away (about). I kept shooting with 100% chinese ass rifle and wasted over 5 clibs and hit 3 times. Woohoo.... thank god I had some 900 more rounds to spare :p

Azzer

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator

I have the PC version. I've not actually had much time to play it sadly, but I have gone through the main quest (and pretty much only the main quest), completed at level 12 (I have various complaints about how the game ends but I'm not going to bother moaning about that here :p).

I had a couple of crash to desktops (exactly two), no other issues with the game though, technical/bug wise. Nothing ever respawned regardless of how much game time passed. Once an area was cleared, it seemed to stay clear indefinitely. Ammo was sometimes tight with some guns if I used them constantly, but having a few guns that used different ammo types covered this (The sub-auto 10mm... the assault rifle... and the shotgun for me... then in the very end just stuck with the plasma rifle). So no actual ammo issues other than a bit of weapon swapping, but I was always looing every body and container I saw for ammo, so perhaps if you're just running around/only looting bodies, you would have some serious ammo issues. VATS was sometimes fun very close range, for the corpse explosion, or a big of tactical limb-crippling.. but generally I used normal "FPS" style aiming the vast majority of the time and never had an issue aiming using "normal" mode at all.

I can't see how a "bug" could cause things to spawn instead of not spawning - a quick check fo the Fallout 3 official forums and all I see is posts of people mentioning how nothing ever respawns anywhere. Did you download a dodgy copy from the internet, BW? Perhaps it's an earlier beta build or something released via torrent? *shrugs*

Seems like a fun game though, and hopefully by Christmas when I can give myself a week of free time, there will be a bunch of mods out and I can sit down and have a "proper" play through it, exploring the world, doing the side-quests and what not.

BlackWolf

Landscape Designer

I have collectors edition, so no downloads... sorry. Crashed to desktop multiple times (cant count with fingers and toes). Using all kind of guns (but .32), still not finished, on level 17 atm. and I will keep going untill I finally get bored to all side missions which seems to be much more bugged than quest missions tho.

I have gun skill at 100 and still cant hurt a smeg from 50 feets away, yet I have around 50-89% chances to hit on VATS. :(
All patches installed, no use... pissed.

Alcibiades

Plant Geneticist

Sounds like you got a rogue copy that was rife with mistakes... sucks because the version i have is actually quite good and enjoyable :D

BlackWolf

Landscape Designer

I thought your playing on xbox alci :p
Hell that I know might be GPU or something being different, who knows these modern games...
I love the game, hate everything in it and about it ;)

I think that sums it pretty well...

Alcibiades

Plant Geneticist

Aye but between all the users who've posted here, you're the only one with mistakes, on both the xbox and PC... so... either you got lots of mistakes, or we're all blind ;)