Need help!!

CLem

Head Gardener
My laptop has been heating up really quickly recently thus making everything run uber slow after like 15mins. I am suspecting that the fan has given up on me because I no longer hear the "noise" that it makes but I want to see if there is a way I can check it without taking my laptop apart, since I have no idea how to do so when I tried.

I have also attempted to clean the fan but I opened all the possible panels underneath the laptop and could only find my hard-disk and my ram, but couldn't get access to to the fan.

It is a Compaq Presario V3000 if it helps, help will be much appreciated.

Azzer

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Re: Need help!!

Definitely sounds like a fan has failed - likely the fan on the heatsink of the processor itself, on many laptops (all laptops probably, maybe a few exceptions with unusual heatsink/fan designs over the processor) you can't get to the processor (and thus the heatsink/fan) without taking the whole thing apart.

And taking laptops apart is messy, there's so many damn little fiddly screws! ;) But I'd try and get it done quick because overheating hardware fails in other ways very rapidly, and soon enough it'll be more than just a damaged fan.

CLem

Head Gardener
Re: Need help!!

since i am a computer noob i will go find some pro to open it up and see what is wrong, for now i have used compressed air and vacuum any dust that i can see.