Skyrim!

Alvestein

Garden Designer
friend bought it and it arrived today. About 8 o clock 3 of us sat down and gave it a whirl. have to say it is SO much fun!

so far we've discovered the joys of pressing levers and chains without thinking.
Settings anything and everything on fire.
Bringing back dead chickens (which we may or may not have shocked to death) to life as our zombie slaves.
Sneaking into houses and stealing everything that isn't nailed down, cooking ourselves a tasty meal and then recruiting them as our faithful companion with them none the wiser!

Expecting lots of hours of joy from this :D

Steve_God

Official Helper
let us know what you think of rage. I still have the demo on download but am never online but not playing skyrim.

Played about an hour of it so far, and I'm impressed!
Take the landscape and setting feel from Fallout...
The feel (in terms of a shoot'em'up) similar to Bioshock...
And little quirks similar to Halo (eg, driving vechiles around the place)...

Hven't tried the multiplayer yet - will report back when I have! :)

willymchilybily

Landscape Designer
christ i only just realised u get the second and third words of a shout to work by holding it down longer...probably should have seen greybeards sooner lol

*loads main character for a quick little play

CFalcon

Official Helper
I'm feeling slightly betrayed by the game now.

I've just read up on exactly how your armour rating affects how much damage you take. It turns out it makes sweet f*ck all difference.

One of the things I liked about the game was comparing armour stats, making decisions about whether to go for the slightly heavier armour, or the lower rated enchanted armour, or the less stamina draining light armour etc. I thought it actually mattered whether my armour rating was 30 or 50.

The truth is the difference in the damage you'll take between (for example) 30 or 50 armour rating is about 1%.

To get any noticeable reduction in damage you need seriously high armour. Just to get a 50% reduction in damage you need an armour rating in excess of 400.

This is kinda game-destroying for me. I used to think it mattered, upgrading from Iron to Steel armour, that I was progressing my character, and that the upgrade would make all the difference taking on challenging opponents. Turns out that the only difference is about 2% less damage taken. Until you're at a point where you have armour available of the order of 400+ rating, you might as well go around naked.

What a time-waste.

Ogluk

Official Helper
Community Operator
I'm feeling slightly betrayed by the game now.

I've just read up on exactly how your armour rating affects how much damage you take. It turns out it makes sweet f*ck all difference.

One of the things I liked about the game was comparing armour stats, making decisions about whether to go for the slightly heavier armour, or the lower rated enchanted armour, or the less stamina draining light armour etc. I thought it actually mattered whether my armour rating was 30 or 50.

The truth is the difference in the damage you'll take between (for example) 30 or 50 armour rating is about 1%.

To get any noticeable reduction in damage you need seriously high armour. Just to get a 50% reduction in damage you need an armour rating in excess of 400.

This is kinda game-destroying for me. I used to think it mattered, upgrading from Iron to Steel armour, that I was progressing my character, and that the upgrade would make all the difference taking on challenging opponents. Turns out that the only difference is about 2% less damage taken. Until you're at a point where you have armour available of the order of 400+ rating, you might as well go around naked.

What a time-waste.

This is why i don't give a toss about the numbers behind games, just play and ignore the background code and enjoy :p Looking into it will invariably be disappointing xD

CFalcon

Official Helper
'cos shield bashing is hilarious. still waiting for the dual-wield shield mod.

and i'm sure at some point there'll be a decent mod to re-balance how armour/damage/rankings work too. unluckeh console nabs.

Alcibiades

Plant Geneticist
I bought Skyrim for PC because i wanted to muck about with some mods, and it is a glorious experience. PC version makes everything else look shabby, especially once you start modding it up. Glorious, Glorious stuff.

CFalcon

Official Helper
Good man.

I'm currently working on a mod to fix the useless armour system. Not as easy as you might think.... :<

atsanjose

Landscape Designer
Super Moderator
I bought Skyrim for PC because i wanted to muck about with some mods, and it is a glorious experience. PC version makes everything else look shabby, especially once you start modding it up. Glorious, Glorious stuff.

guess we will see you in a couple of weeks :D

CFalcon

Official Helper
Good man.

I'm currently working on a mod to fix the useless armour system. Not as easy as you might think.... :<

Got any recommendations for mods I should get?

Above all else: Avoid Steam Workshop and any other kind of Mod Manager LIKE THE PLAGUE. While it's working, it makes getting mods much easier. But at some point it'll stop working, and then you're ****ed, 'cos you have almost no control. Whereas if you directly download the files yourself, and put them in your skyrim folder yourself, then you always have complete control.

These are what I've got atm....

ENB to generally boost appearance, although setting it up with the right settings for your machine can sometimes be tricky.

WiS (wars in skyrim? i can't remember exactly), makes you encounter enemies in the wild *way* more often. Almost never out of sight of something that wants to kill you.

NoHelmets mod. You can still equip helmets for the armour rating, but they don't show up on your body. I guess that's a preference thing, but most of the helmets look sh1te to me.

SkyUI - makes the user interface, menus etc. easier to manage with a mouse. Can't imagine playing without this.

Interface Hard Coded Key Tweaks - lets you change some of the key-bindings that you can't change in game.

PureWaters - makes water more natural looking. There are a few of those about, so whichever looks best to you.

EnhancedNightSky - more/brighter stars

TESVal - general performance boost

Then there are literally thousands of texture mods to make people, armour, clothes, landscape, trees, snow etc look prettier. Just get as many as you can be bothered to download, and that your RAM can cope with.

EDIT: Oh, you have a Mac? I have no idea what might work with that.

Last edited:

Steve_God

Official Helper
After completing Rage, I'm now well into Skyrim!
Loving it! Although mainly as it's like Fallout, but in a completely different scenario.

Only issue I'm having is I don't see much point in the food at the moment given the player regens already - I seem to be collecting more than I can hold (even if I use fires to make it into better stuff) and then having to sell it off as I don't seem to use it yet.

That said, only at Level 8 (I think) at the mo, so guessing I might start to need it later on!
Just hoping I'll be able to buy a house soon so I can start doing my usual storing of junk that I might need one day, but don't want to carry around with me everywhere :p

Alcibiades

Plant Geneticist
Good man.

Got any recommendations for mods I should get?

Above all else: Avoid Steam Workshop and any other kind of Mod Manager LIKE THE PLAGUE. While it's working, it makes getting mods much easier. But at some point it'll stop working, and then you're ****ed, 'cos you have almost no control. Whereas if you directly download the files yourself, and put them in your skyrim folder yourself, then you always have complete control.

I've got some mod manager thing already mostly because I couldn't figure out (i know i'm an idiot) how to get a couple mods working and figured it would be easier, although given your statement i'm willing to reconsider that.

These are what I've got atm....

ENB to generally boost appearance, although setting it up with the right settings for your machine can sometimes be tricky.

Got it.

WiS (wars in skyrim? i can't remember exactly), makes you encounter enemies in the wild *way* more often. Almost never out of sight of something that wants to kill you.

Getting it now, sounds epic!

NoHelmets mod. You can still equip helmets for the armour rating, but they don't show up on your body. I guess that's a preference thing, but most of the helmets look sh1te to me.

I don't mind the helmets tbh, but will probably snag this at some point.

SkyUI - makes the user interface, menus etc. easier to manage with a mouse. Can't imagine playing without this.

First thing I got!! Makes it ridiculously smooth.

Interface Hard Coded Key Tweaks - lets you change some of the key-bindings that you can't change in game.

So far I haven't needed that yet, but i'm sure i will as things progress!

PureWaters - makes water more natural looking. There are a few of those about, so whichever looks best to you.

Yeah I have one, don't think it's PureWaters but it seems good so far.

EnhancedNightSky - more/brighter stars

Got it, took my goddamn breath away. Holy ****.

TESVal - general performance boost

Will get it.

EDIT: Oh, you have a Mac? I have no idea what might work with that.

I have two computers. A desktop PC with a buttload of RAM and a half decent graphics card, and a Macbook Air for school. Macbook air can't do ****, but who gives a flying hippo because i can play skyrim all day and night on my desktop! ;)

EDIT: I got a sweet mod that's called "Val's Crafting Meltdown" i think. Which means all those **** items you get can be transformed into useful basic materials for crafting which is kind of handy. Also you can make arrows, which is a friggin godsend, just need assloads of hawk feathers ;)

Bobbin

Head Gardener
Playing through and for the most part enjoying it. Even though I prefer RPGs more like Fallout or WoW and absoultely hated Oblivion I'm quite enjoying this.

Current 11 hours in, level 12, playing through slowly, exploring, talking to everyone, picking up everything that isn't nailed down... gonna take me a while to work through it I think.

Alcibiades

Plant Geneticist
Playing through and for the most part enjoying it. Even though I prefer RPGs more like Fallout or WoW and absoultely hated Oblivion I'm quite enjoying this.

Current 11 hours in, level 12, playing through slowly, exploring, talking to everyone, picking up everything that isn't nailed down... gonna take me a while to work through it I think.

I bought the house in whiterun and it's currently completely full of all sorts of crap. Good times. I'm a hoarder in virtual life lol.