Killing The Game

Dimitar

Landscape Designer
thankyou some people who agree with me!

i have nothing more to say because ive repeated myself several times, and people still try and say they have to play like that. and that im wrong. yahdahyahdah

Who agreed with you? What was there to agree about? You just stated something, provided no evidence for it and didn't even try to find a solution for this "problem". Then when the people who actually know what they're talking about explained to you why you're wrong, you just ignored them.

Might as well start a religious debate.

Coruba

Head Gardener
And people wonder why the game is dying - Now I don't know how long Dave has been playing but if he is a newbie then I certainly would be put off by the previous post by Shadowbane.

About time you got a grip mate - and abide by the good rule if you haven't got something constructive to say then stay out of the discussion. What part of your comment would encourage anyone in their right mind to think that this is a friendly community and think about playing?

And I quote "Who agreed with you? (In his opinion no one that matters) What was there to agree about?(No point in agreeing, you then don't have anyone to trash talk to) You just stated something, provided no evidence for it(Why does he need to? You have so little respect that you have to demand this?) and didn't even try to find a solution for this "problem"(Derr.... Why do you think he posted if he had a solution). Then when the people who actually know what they're talking about explained to you why you're wrong(Again in his opinion and those people are not always right), you just ignored them. (My suggestion is ignore this guy - if you lucky he might go away)"

If I was a moderator on this forum - that post would get deleted.

Cheers

Coruba

LuckySports

Landscape Designer
Coruba, play for about 5 more years, then you might know a tenth of what any one of us already knows.

Hamilton

Tree Surgeon
News from your sources is that in 7 ticks, 166,500,000 people from xxxx xxxx xxxxxxx [xxxx] will arrive to attack you. Mob ETA was modified by +2 from: Attacking at 30-35% attack range.

attacks like this are killing the game.

some people need to get a life and send proper attacks.

People don't care if they lose H/F for these attacks, they just feel it's necessary to attack at this range to get what they need with a decent success ratio. When you are in a high ranking, attacking at +1/+2 eventually becomes an inevitability and it isn't killing the game. People who have played this game before for years upon years will expect these attacks to happen and have learnt to deal with it.
Get in an alliance and defend it

LuckySports

Landscape Designer
Back when the game started out, the attack range was MUCH lower, and there wasn't a mod, or a bounty/insurance system, and the game grew to a pretty decent size..

Once Azzer started babying everyone hard-core, the game started dying.. Perhaps we should revert to the days of old, when you get zeroed, and have NOTHING.. not even 20% funds from your lost units to rebuild a little.

There was also no AR mod (so trigger limit was ALWAYS the same), and land didn't give score on a curve, it was flat and low (remember some folks getting over 100k acres? yea..)

I tire of people complaining that "bashing" is killing the game.. It's not killing the game, the game was prospering when it was easier to bash people.. it was FUN..

Now, its much harder to attack, and that is having a negative impact on the game. You can't send 5 attacks at 20% anymore.

Atlantis

Pruner
Coruba, play for about 5 more years, then you might know a tenth of what any one of us already knows.

I wasnt going to post until i saw that ignorant egotistical comment.

Does it really matter if someone has played for 5 years or 5 rounds? This "game" isnt exactly rocket science, yes it takes some tuition to get used to the basics, and yes you learn new things all the time but its not hard. All you need to be succesful is to understand the basics and be in the "select group" and the only way that happens is over time or making yourself known in IRC or on these forums!

Having played with coruba this round and last he is a really knowledgable person and would hold his own in the top alliances any day of the week!

dave

Harvester
luckysports you clearly just dont respect me or half the guys playing at a lower alliance level, look at what these guys are saying....i have a few agreeing with me, people who are good players and know this game. they just dont suck up to get in higher alliances, there happy playing there game.

my point does have truth in it, if you can suggest a good way to prove it i will do so...

im not saying its the sole reason for people leaving, just a pretty big reason.
quite frankly your comments are soley based upon the fact you send that way, and you think its the right thing to do, i have no respect for you either.

LuckySports

Landscape Designer
All you need to be succesful is to understand the basics and be in the "select group"

Bull ****.. If you want to be successful.. BE SUCCESSFUL, You don't have to know anyone, you don't have to be in the Rank 1 alliance, you just have to DO IT.. People coming on here thinking they know everything (or anything) and then complaining because they aren't doing well, blaming others or the game itself.. Is just plain stupid. I've been pretty nice up to this point, and nowadays that takes an effort, but I'm completely wiped of any niceties.

If you want to do well, don't whine, don't *****, don't moan, don't complain, just PLAY.. and play well, I came back after a 2 year hiatus, and created an alliance, filled it with nubs, and spent most of the round hovering the top 50 whilst constantly losing troops to keep my newbies land-fat, and all it took was for me to PLAY. I'm not the most skilled player, nor the most active, or even the most contactable, but I also don't blame everyone else for MY failings, and THATS why I do well. I also understand that rebuilding is a big part of the game, something a lot of new players nowadays REFUSE to learn.

If you want a game about rainbows and sunshine that you can't lose, go play something else, If you want to compete, kill, fight, main, bite, and seek vengeance, then your in the right place and should quickly find a niche. The players that are usually deemed as the best tend to be stubborn. They are the players that will rush you 200 times, you might send out or get defense 199 times, but that 200th time, when you don't get defense or you forget to send out.. They will start recruiting a month before the round ends for a FTW alliance, and then stay up for 24hrs to make sure no one loses land in flak wars. They will create a battle plan before bed, and another before work, and make sure everyone sends. They will meticulously spy and attack an entire alliance for a week to see who's active when so they can plan the best time to attack.

I'm tired, I'm irritated, and I just want to strangle something.. Before you go posting ignorance, play the game like you mean it, and stop blaming the mechanics for your impotence. If you think I'm being a little mean? Good.. Maybe brutal honesty will get through where all else has failed. Stop being lazy

CFalcon

Official Helper
Dave, the reason some are getting frustrated with you is that you keep saying they just don't understand lower alliance play, and they're ignoring you because they like to bash small people.

This is absolutely not true.

Did you actually read the post I made earlier in the thread? If you just keep repeating what you said in your first post, and don't take in what others have said, then they're going to get annoyed with you. Nothing to do with arrogant old players. Just a simple lack of basic debating skills on your part.

I'll repeat what I said. There is a problem with the game, and it does drive new and less active players away. However, the problem is nothing to do with attack ranges. See my earlier post my reasons why.

But I'm just an egocentric old-pro-top-alliance-scorequeen who doesn't know what it's like in the lower alliances right?

Angela

Harvester
me personally?
i send on the basis of winning the br, if i take alot of losses i dont mind, so long as i get alot of kills.

i love a good br and if i take alot of losses to get good kills so be it.

i dont suicide my troops i do send to people i can kill.

i just dont send +2...

its not hard to do.

Ok ive read all the posts in the thread and since nothing seems to change your mind as in your right and everyone else is wrong, i would like to just point out something.

You send to kill on attack be that at eta 5 i dont see much difference since people are more likely to quit from being killed over and over again then they are from going oh wow look at eta 7 attack on me lets hit delete! instead of waking up one day and thinking im dead all that hardwork ive put in is now gone.

Im not saying you shouldnt attack to kill thats the way the game is, but so is +2 attacks.

willymchilybily

Landscape Designer
to be honest your only getting told by lucky to get more experience because you are unwilling to try to learn or even consider listening to the experience of others. As he mentioned (and i feel didnt big himself up enough for doing so) he took an alliance FULL of new players with him and one or two more experienced players and they progressed to a decent rank and score and dealt with endless mass incomings. including +2

those new players learnt how to defend, how to group attack, how to play and managed to defend these big incomings. and they didnt all quit. because he showed them how to play and deal with the incoming you say drive people away. if he can do it with uncontactable inexperienced bunch of new players, then You have to see logically it is possible to defend and do well even with the +2 attacks, adn therefore they really dont have any worries. like right now im attacking at +2 and im a pom. yet i dont see barely any defenders...why its not like i can kill a damn thing... it this fear of these big players, developed by the belief its unfair and undefendable.

If anything (tying back in with how the game use to be). i think +2 is less damaging than eta 5 sends. because it only takes a fraction of a score drop and the player is out of ther range for a longer time. and in my mind that is why the game worked back with 17.5% attack range. because you fully died. and dropped out of range and there were so many other people playing you were fine to have fun at that range and rebuild. i think if anything being bashed constantly by people sending 40-50% of you and facing the same incoming time after time from the same people is more damaging then any +2 attack, because you stay in range or grow back in range too quick

this coupled with a smaller player base & fewer targets is what is killing the game, and that is why attack range is not seen by so many as a cause but more as an effect of the game dying. fewer targets, smaller playerbase, less competition. there are countless threads on it. and thats why theres always talk of advertising and apps and facebook versions of the game. And why only new players complain about the attack range. because people like you complain make these posts and influence them to believe it is unjust. please dont flame lucky, hes one of the few in the community willing to make a training alliance and encourage new players to stay. And if you knew anything about him before forming opinions of the guy based on one forum post you would probably be alot more willing to listen to him and learn from him.

Although i admit perhaps he was a bit brash with coruba, but only because it looks like this mind set of it being unfair has infected everyone in the lower ranks. and that mindset needs to change. not the game mechanics

Coruba

Head Gardener
Please note - this is not an attack on many of the good posts on this thread - it was directed at one idiot that made a totally unnecessary post and does so on a regular basis. To Lucky, CF, Willy - no offense was intended at you guys.

But on another note Lucky should you wish to go on an insulting binge I suggest you join the Shadowbane club.

jamesNchina

Tree Surgeon
LMAO talk about the Department of Redundancy Department :p
getting bashed sucks plain and simple and yes eta5 eta4 eta 10 doesn't make it any better. New players still at the low end of the learning curve without experienced hands to ease the curve do get fed up with it... I have absolutely no idea how to fix it or even stop it.. been killed 3 times already this round ... ofc this round don't have the wonderful assistance of peeps like Ogluk, Lucky,Podunk, Guff, Ed etc., to help protect my pitiful arse ... oh wait I stilled got killed with them around too... **** well there went THAT thread of sensible thought... how about we just make it more profitable to get killed? If I could get killed more often and actually then gain by it to go and bounty hunt R1 -- mass mob me baby!!

Alcibiades

Plant Geneticist
That's nonsense.

If people are complaining about dying in a game which is designed in a rock/paper/scissors fashion then you need to go play farmville. This game is designed to have players killing other players and allows attacks at lower ranks with penalties. I've been on all levels of this spectrum, and being bashed sucks, but there are ways to make yourself an unattractive target.

You don't have to be "impossible to kill" or be able to kill "every other route". As Martin has said, what you want to do is make yourself enough of a pain in the arse that you make other targets look more attractive. Make the potential landgrab off you small, make your unit setup painful to flak first tick so people refrain from wasting troops on you. Expect to die occasionally. This is good for you. Lets you flak lowbie targets, and boosts your AR when solo. If allied, only gives you an advantage in land :)

The target range is not a problem. The worst part about +1 or +2 eta attacks is that it means you have to stay up later to handle the actual BRs.

And the original poster and some others in this thread make it seem like the top ranked players don't get bashed as well. For anyone who isn't in the top 20, there is always the likely nature of getting hit by players with vastly more troops than we have at hand. I am hovering around the rank 35 spot or so, and have allymates who have been subject to massive, repeated attacks. We've driven some off due to combined skill, luck, and massive firepower; and we've had to run from some due to overwhelming enemy force. That is how this game works; you have to learn how to deal with large incomings. Fake mobs can be a gamechanger. A lot of little defence can add up to enough of a pain to prevent people from staying. It's all in the experience of the players handling the defence.

With all due respect dave, you seem to have played just long enough to have a little knowledge, and as a famous man once said, "A little knowledge is a dangerous thing." This has been proven over and over and over again in this game. Sometimes some of the older players (myself included) seem to be condescending in our behaviour when presented with threads like this one; which are a slightly varying regurgitation of dozens of other threads we've seen before in these forums. Thus the explanations seem wearied, bitter, and somewhat sarcastic. And these are opinions (one might hazard to say they are facts) that are based off significant experience ingame. Looking at players like Martin, CF, Wily, Toby, Alci (myself), Angela, LS, etc, you're talking about decades of ingame experience overall. That should give you some pause in "shaking the establishment". We're not always right, but you should give us some more credit, we do know that of which you are talking, and we do understand the gameplay, and it might just be possible that you're the one in the wrong here, or perhaps the one who does not fully understand the subtleties of the situation.

EDIT: I saw more nonsense and thought it best to put a stop to it now.

If I could get killed more often and actually then gain by it to go and bounty hunt R1 -- mass mob me baby!!

If dying was profitable, this game would be retarded. Dying should not be "rewarded". You should not be coddled, or hugged by the game. When you die, you should die properly. That would have the benefit of dropping you out of range for a good while, giving you the satisfaction of a total rebuild (which is fun btw), and letting you enjoy a few days out of range of people who can wreck you (which benefits in a rest from an activity intense game). There was a lot to be said for the time when there was no insurance; and there was no warm blankie to swaddle players when they got killed. If you didn't keep some reserve funds around, you had to sell seeds to get started again; etc etc. The "good old days" were considerably harder on the playerbase than they are now and the only difference is number of players. The lack of targets, and the continuous need to hit targets over and over (due to the lack of players) along with activity, and cliff face like learning curve are what contribute to players quitting. It has nothing to do with range.

Last edited:

Davs

Garden Designer
Being someone who's played this game at low levels for a few years, I can safely say that I disagree with you, dave. Personally, like you, I don't attack at +1 or +2, in fact most rounds I try to keep my attacks above 70%. That being said, "you're being a scorequeening ***** who doesn't want to lose troops" isn't the only reason for attacking like this. Lack of targets is the reason - especially with a dwindling player base. Yes, I can see how being bashed from the great above must be pretty disheartening, so the problem is in some ways fuelling itself, but I wouldn't say that receiving the occasional mob at +2 is really driving people away - it's the repetitive bashing from people sending at eta 5 that's having a greater impact on the lower levels. But as there are so few players these days, you have to just put up with it. I'd say a reasonable tactic is get an obscene amount of land, and keep attacking all the time (even if solo) as you'll get inc, thus have a higher ar mod most of the time and any land you do lose (yes, you have to accept that other people will beat you into submission as well - **** happens) you can easily get back from someone else.

timtadams

Landscape Designer
I havnt read thread. Is it one of those cyclic threads where the same pointless arguments are repeated over and over in varying forms?

LuckySports

Landscape Designer
pretty much, but if you read up to my last response, you can see me more or less go off on everyone that wants the game to be easy.

Elevnos

BANNED
Being solo is really good usually. The only reason I don't play solo most of the time is because I'd have nobody to chat to in an alliance. I've played solo with no NAPs and spent most of a 1 or 2 rounds in the top 100. You get killed, so what? You've got loads of AR mod, are unkillable, have easy land around you and the insurance lets you get back and going straight away... You just come back stronger with a small bit of effort. Stop complaining about people killing you because if nobody could kill anyone then nobody would bother playing. If you want to be honorable then be honorable, but if other people don't want to be don't have a go at them for it.

It's a game, don't take one death so seriously. If nobody could die nobody could get land other than buying it! That's why each route has its flaws and weaknesses.