Bush advertising

LuckySports

Landscape Designer
I've got time, but I can't code :p Was doing some schooling on it before I joined the military. If I could code, or cba to learn, I'd happily make a bush knock-off :p

Max

Garden Designer
Just remember to include a big red win button please. It's the only way I'll ever make rank 1 :'(

willymchilybily

Landscape Designer
two words... that spring to mind. Copy right. doesnt Azzer own the Ip of alot of the game mechanics and codes? or is it just the names, aka the name bushtarion ?

....how much is his and how much can be used? can you use the system of armour stripping before health damage can kill? or if not can you call it something else? "shields, and life force" I have no idea what a person owns when they copyright software. but microsoft certainly seem to make it hard for others to compete. then again they did copyright a few of the chips/processing methods aswell. meh

CFalcon

Official Helper
No idea what the ins and outs of it are. There are thousands of games which operate on a system whereby you have to take down armour before you can hit health, so that wouldn't be an issue. Similarly there are thousands of games where you control an organisation which produces money somehow, create units and compete with other organisations.

Where there might be grounds for copyright are the targetting system, which is fairly specific, and the precise method of creating money (from plants/acres). Although even then I'm not sure. Didn't Azzer essentially lift this from Planetarion or something?

This is all hypothetical anyway, 'cos
a) no-one is going to do this
b) if they did, I doubt Azzer would care

Dimitar

Landscape Designer
if anyone is going to remake bushtarion, can we please not have the gardening thingy :/ That's fairly ****. Keep the mechanics and **** but just change the names

Polo

Garden Designer
Super Moderator
Didn't Azzer essentially lift this from Planetarion or something?

Plantarion. Bush looks so similar to Plantarion, it's ridiculous. :p

As far as I know, copyright covers the actual implementation and not the general ideas. Seeing as all the code is server side, it's impossible to copy the imeplementation (unless you wanted the HTML to be exactly the same which would be pretty stupid) so you can't breach the copyright. Also, you'd have to change the name and maybe tech/unit names.

if anyone is going to remake bushtarion, can we please not have the gardening thingy :/ That's fairly ****. Keep the mechanics and **** but just change the names

Agreed. If Bush were my game, there's a lot of stuff like gardening that I'd rip out of it. :p

Benneh

Tree Surgeon
Super Moderator

As far as I know, copyright covers the actual implementation and not the general ideas. Seeing as all the code is server side, it's impossible to copy the imeplementation (unless you wanted the HTML to be exactly the same which would be pretty stupid) so you can't breach the copyright. Also, you'd have to change the name and maybe tech/unit names.

Agreed. If Bush were my game, there's a lot of stuff like gardening that I'd rip out of it. :p

Feel free to buy copies of Bushtarion, as Azzer does sell :p

No-Dachi

Official Helper

Truth. The Plantarion code was given away for free when they shut down the game. A copy should be able to be found, and since they gave the source code away freely I doubt anything that originates from the original code can be considered owned by Azzer.

Polo

Garden Designer
Super Moderator
Feel free to buy copies of Bushtarion, as Azzer does sell :p

What? o.0

It was available here:
http://web.archive.org/web/20040604220028/http://www.plantarion.com/
Problem is... the links no longer work and the original site has gone.

Would be a case of relying on someone who had downloaded it at the time.

https://bush.nobreakspace.com/~polo/plantarion-v0_1.zip
https://bush.nobreakspace.com/~polo/plantarion-v0_7.zip

v0.7 was the latest version released. I downloaded both to see how the code changed.

It's written in asp though so you'd need IIS if you wanted to run it and, iirc, you need an old version of IIS to run it properly. If anyone has an old Windows server lying around, they should try and set up a copy of Plantarion. :p

Yang

Harvester
How much money would you need to set something up like bushtarion? I might be interested in a summer Project to practice coding

Steve_God

Official Helper
Initial capital in hard cash - practically nothing.
Initial capital in effort and coding hours - lots!

Ongoing costs are simply fast and reliable web hosting / domain name.

penguin

Official Helper
".. you'd be far better off putting your time and money into developing a game similar to Bushtarion."

I seriously thought about it the second round I started playing the game.. the higher ranked people have too big of egos.. then the whole idea of learning a new coding language just messed me all up.. had the time, the ability to learn.. I just didn't have the money to put forth into creating a game like bushtarion..

and then I looked into getting a domain name - etc etc.. not very costly, but man oh man, is it a pain in the arse. I would totally take the time to sit here, learn a new coding language while creating a game if someone would help setting up the domain name (and thinking of a name for the game) and setting up e-mail account associations and so on and so forth.

not a bad idea if someone has the know-how in all aspects of doing such a thing..

"It's written in asp though so you'd need IIS if you wanted to run it and, iirc, you need an old version of IIS to run it properly."

Just out of curiosity.. how many people understood that without looking it up? :/

flameharvester

Head Gardener
Simple enough actually I have an old windows server (well the install discs and software that would be compatible but a relatively new server hardware) if someone honestly considrrs doing this they should contact me...

Cupido

Weeder
Go make polotarion then :p

Hah. It's tempting. Unfortunately, I don't really have the time/money for it. :(

We have to talk! Not about the time, but about the funds.

The game is almost dead. After iam killed i am still ranked 220. 3 years ago it was 1220.

Azzer have to sell this game and if the price is good i am happy to buy it. The only problem is i cant coded or progamme anything :(

avash

Harvester
Go make polotarion then :p

Hah. It's tempting. Unfortunately, I don't really have the time/money for it. :(

We have to talk! Not about the time, but about the funds.

The game is almost dead. After iam killed i am still ranked 220. 3 years ago it was 1220.

Azzer have to sell this game and if the price is good i am happy to buy it. The only problem is i cant coded or progamme anything :(

And 7 years ago you'd be 2500.

The game was always on a downward slope. People just aren't interested in a text based game anymore.

How much would you pay for it.. just out of interest?

timtadams

Landscape Designer
People just aren't interested in a text based game anymore.

There are still plenty of people that would play Bushtarion. Many people are not interested in text based games, however i bet this has been the case since Bushtarion started.

The declining playerbase is not because less people are interested in text based games. It is to be expected as inevitable under these circumstances. People stop playing because they get bored of it, they get distracted from it by work/family/etc requirements, or they simply cant hack it because of waving/bashing/whatever. The last point it something people argue is, or could become, a major cause of people leaving the game. I think this effect is minimal, and that even if this weren't the case, playerbase decline will continue to occur due to the other two aforementioned reasons.

Consider that a significant portion of the playerbase is students, and that student life is particularly suited to playing Bushtarion. As a student, I spend a lot of time in front of the computer and so i can easily refresh every 10min and involve myself in an alliance. In fact, I am more active during the semester than when I am on holidays. When I work I can't access a computer. Many companies have filters that stop people accessing certain sites which may or may not stop people playing at work. The point is, many students graduate, get jobs, maybe start a family, and no longer can play Bushtarion effectively.

I think it is completely obvious that people over time will move away from the game. This would even have occurred when the game was growing or steady in size. The key difference was that while people stopped playing, other people would start playing. Now, hardly anyone is starting to play the game because no-one knows about it.

This is why advertising is needed. You cant rely on word of mouth, especially over the internet. By advertising you can reach a large number of people, a portion of which may be interested, of which a portion may enjoy the game and be able to play. Even if only 1 in every thousand who saw the ad became a player, a text ad on Google could reach millions, resulting in thousands of new players.

But you can't just whack an ad anywhere and expect it to be effective. You need to consider your target audience. If you want to poach some already online gamers, maybe put some sexy banners on a games site with promises of fierce competition and strategy. If you want to woo students, then a text based ad on Google or Facebook might be a better idea. Such an ad could advertise ability to play while you study/do homework. Or if you want office workers actually say you can even play at work due to subtle website design and minimal time requirements. The office is somewhere graphical games would be impossible to play, and this would offer a cheeky alternative.

I think there are still a shitload of people that would play this game if they new about it. You just need to find them.

Elevnos

BANNED
People just aren't interested in a text based game anymore.

There are still plenty of people that would play Bushtarion. Many people are not interested in text based games, however i bet this has been the case since Bushtarion started.

The declining playerbase is not because less people are interested in text based games. It is to be expected as inevitable under these circumstances. People stop playing because they get bored of it, they get distracted from it by work/family/etc requirements, or they simply cant hack it because of waving/bashing/whatever. The last point it something people argue is, or could become, a major cause of people leaving the game. I think this effect is minimal, and that even if this weren't the case, playerbase decline will continue to occur due to the other two aforementioned reasons.

Consider that a significant portion of the playerbase is students, and that student life is particularly suited to playing Bushtarion. As a student, I spend a lot of time in front of the computer and so i can easily refresh every 10min and involve myself in an alliance. In fact, I am more active during the semester than when I am on holidays. When I work I can't access a computer. Many companies have filters that stop people accessing certain sites which may or may not stop people playing at work. The point is, many students graduate, get jobs, maybe start a family, and no longer can play Bushtarion effectively.

I think it is completely obvious that people over time will move away from the game. This would even have occurred when the game was growing or steady in size. The key difference was that while people stopped playing, other people would start playing. Now, hardly anyone is starting to play the game because no-one knows about it.

This is why advertising is needed. You cant rely on word of mouth, especially over the internet. By advertising you can reach a large number of people, a portion of which may be interested, of which a portion may enjoy the game and be able to play. Even if only 1 in every thousand who saw the ad became a player, a text ad on Google could reach millions, resulting in thousands of new players.

But you can't just whack an ad anywhere and expect it to be effective. You need to consider your target audience. If you want to poach some already online gamers, maybe put some sexy banners on a games site with promises of fierce competition and strategy. If you want to woo students, then a text based ad on Google or Facebook might be a better idea. Such an ad could advertise ability to play while you study/do homework. Or if you want office workers actually say you can even play at work due to subtle website design and minimal time requirements. The office is somewhere graphical games would be impossible to play, and this would offer a cheeky alternative.

I think there are still a shitload of people that would play this game if they new about it. You just need to find them.

This.

timtadams

Landscape Designer
I just remembered about an article I read in the paper the other day...

Regarding Google advertising, rates for mobile advertising is cheaper than that for desktop advertising, which would be another avenue to consider given that people are more often using mobile internet.

However the greater portion people clicking on cheaper mobile ads has resulted in an overall decreased cost-per-click and Google failing to meet revenue and earnings targets. So rates for mobile Google advertising may not remain so cheap for very long!

(although i dont know how all the jazz works and if you get to choose whether your ads appear on mobile or desktop searches)

Garrett2

Landscape Designer
It's not really worth doing advertising when there are no updates being made. No one who's mutually attacking and farming is being locked. Anyone new you brought would simply get frustrated and leave before they even completed a round.