What computer components to get?

Gooner

Head Gardener
Hi so ive got around £500-£600 max to get a half decent gaming computer =]
monitor not needed

I couldnt decide to get 2gb ddr3 ram with xp
or 4gb ddr2 with vista
ive been advised a Geforce graphics card but im not much good with specs
Is amd 64 x2 better than intel dual core for gaming?
Thanks for the help :D
Gooner.

Lupus

Head Gardener
Re: What computer components to get?

timtadams said:
There is usually no yes and no answer for these things

not sure about that its quite clear sometimes that certain things are better than others. i love vista is a great layout and interface so i would say get vista OS, plenty of RAM 2gb at least imo, intergrated intel graphics are turd and not worth the plastic they are made of Nvidia is the one of the easiest choices, and a 64 bit chip set is better than 32, as to intel/AMD i have no preference other wiser ppl can direct you on that.

Weeble

Community Manager
Administrator

I'd recommend Vista and 4Gb of RAM, simply because it'll help in the long run.
If you're planning on gaming a fair bit then try go for a high nVidia card, something like a GeForce 8800 or even 9600 if you can stretch that far. 8800 GTs are coming down in price quite a lot now, and they're still fantastic cards.
As for the CPU, I'd say Intel have the definite edge for gaming at the moment, with most gamers preferring dual, or even quad cores (Exxxx or Q9xxx - models).

Good luck!

BlackWolf

Landscape Designer

OMG can you people please stop giving BS advice like Nvidia. I wouldnt get Nvidia no matter what, their cards are over prized. And why the smeg someone wants this guy to buy OLD!!!!!!!! version of card when you can get new generation card for same amount of money? FORGET everything but nvidia 260, 280 and ati 4850/4870 everything else is just BS!

Gooner

Head Gardener

BlackWolf said:
OMG can you people please stop giving BS advice like Nvidia. I wouldnt get Nvidia no matter what, their cards are over prized. And why the smeg someone wants this guy to buy OLD!!!!!!!! version of card when you can get new generation card for same amount of money? FORGET everything but nvidia 260, 280 and ati 4850/4870 everything else is just BS!

Right so so I have around £100 for a graphics card...what do I get in your opinion?

Gooner

Head Gardener

Thanks for the help as well guys =]