RIP Chris, aka Shronock

Dax

Hydroponics Developer
I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but sadly my good friend Chris passed away yesterday evening. For those that had the pleasure of knowing him even through this game will remember his fantastic sense of humour, and that he was always one of the first to respond to pranks irrespective of the fact he served in the United States Army - And spent a very large portion of his time serving in Afghanistan - And yet he still was more active and more contactable than 80% of people I met in this game. I know many will have had as positive an experience with him on their side, and nightmares with him as their opponent.

Outside of Bushtarion, we were solid friends. The saddest part is that due to my being ill, I hadn't managed to speak to him until I received the news last night. I am still pretty devastated by the shock. Chris had laughed in the face of danger and survived enough time to furnish many fingers on both hands - And he never bullshitted about any of his experiences. I always respected that about him. He had recently purchased his own home, and gotten a dog so he could start a normal life outside of the Army. It is heart wrenching to know he will never get that opportunity that he was preparing in earnest for.

I will never ever forget you. I'm sorry that I was too stubborn to have that "one last round" with you - But I will get around to having that one more once I'm well again and leave a portal spot to keep you in history within this game. I'll miss you, mate.

Attachments

• FB_IMG_1435735768505.jpg
    FB_IMG_1435735768505.jpg
    82.2 KB · Views: 0

Dark_Angel

Landscape Designer
Super Moderator
Community Operator
What a devastatingly young age to pass away. I've never played with him but I know he was well liked and will no doubt be missed.

Thanks for letting us know DaX and for your heartfelt tribute.

Dax

Hydroponics Developer
From what I gather from family related messages, it is with great sadness that I assume that Chris took his own life. I wouldn't make such a bold assumption without being almost entirely sure, but that appears to be the case from varying tributes I have seen.

Depression is an enormous monster that can affect anybody, and Chris is another horrible example of this - He was always upbeat and positive, and his comrades, friends and family all support this being case.

'Tiger'

Landscape Designer
Such sad news. I hope your alright Dax, even worse he took his own life

Thoughts and prayers goes to his family!

Gazzy

Head Gardener
I mailed a bottle of French red to his barracks when he was out in Afghanistan. The commander made him pour it away. It made him laugh though, and worth the £30 shipping cost. Great player, and true gentleman. Very sad news.

No-Dachi

Official Helper
Although I never knew him, I crossed paths with him frequently in game. Such a tragedy.. I hope his demons has let him rest, and that he feels better where he is now.

Shaggy

Planter
I'm sorry to hear that another brother in arms has passed away in such a way as a vet myself it kills me knowing i have had friends do things like this. sorry i didn't know him. in both real life as a brother in arms and in game. i hope he finally got some sort of peace.

Dax

Hydroponics Developer
I mailed a bottle of French red to his barracks when he was out in Afghanistan. The commander made him pour it away. It made him laugh though, and worth the £30 shipping cost. Great player, and true gentleman. Very sad news.

Was this recently, by any chance?

EDIT: Appreciate the response from people - People always speak kindly of the dead, but Chris always was a legit lovely bloke since we met when I started playing this infernal game all those years ago. He checked in past me regularly via text and FB to keep up with one another, and there aren't many that have done that for the sake of being friendly. A big loss for any that knew him in-game, or personally.

Gazzy

Head Gardener

No, it was at least 2 years ago, if not a lot longer. I can't remember exactly when sorry.

'Tiger'

Landscape Designer

No, it was at least 2 years ago, if not a lot longer. I can't remember exactly when sorry.

Why did they make him pour it away? Did they know it was a present?

Gazzy

Head Gardener
Probably because you're not allowed alcohol on a military base.

He had previously tried to make his own from fermenting orange juice under his bunk.

No-Dachi

Official Helper
In most US bases you are allowed 2 cans per night at a bar (the two-can rule). However, you're not allowed to possess alcohol in your bunk area, particularly anything stronger than beer.

Shaggy

Planter
In most US bases you are allowed 2 cans per night at a bar (the two-can rule). However, you're not allowed to possess alcohol in your bunk area, particularly anything stronger than beer.

in theater of operations it is against general order 1A you can have no alcohol at all if you do manage to get it and are caught you can face UCMJ uniform code of military justice charges

'Tiger'

Landscape Designer
Sorry I don't know any rules of army!

So why are you allowed two cans of beer at a bar but no alcohol at your bunk?

Shaggy

Planter
Sorry I don't know any rules of army!

So why are you allowed two cans of beer at a bar but no alcohol at your bunk?

some officers are as much as a pain in the ass as others and dont mind letting some things slide as long as you stay out of trouble.

the two beer thing also isn't allowed while in Afghanistan or Iraq that rule is in combat areas. i have only seen it happen once where it was allowed in those country and that was super bowl Sunday

Dax

Hydroponics Developer
I am slightly more pleased to update this thread, as the coroner declared earlier today that Chris had died of an undiagnosed heart condition. I also have the family-contributed obituary for anybody that might have been interested to know a bit about Chris if they didn't know much about him before.

Chris' memorial obituary can be found here.

There's a donation link there to the charity of Chris' preference (he apparently used to donate to this charity from his wages) on the page, too.

'Tiger'

Landscape Designer
Sounds he had an enjoyable life, and lived it the way he wanted.

I will donate as soon as I get paid, deserves it.