Respect

Angela

Harvester
Shouldnt official helpers show more respect to people? in irc and on the forums? Im not on about how they play the game but in the way they talk to people in general ive seen a lot of evidence that show a lack of respect to the people in general, should someone in authority be allowed to do this especially in such a public way? How are people suppose to go to them for help when they show such contempt for other people in public?

I would like to stress this isnt an attack on the bushtarion staff who i think are doing a great job at what they do!

Also like to point out that this is nothing to do with the way they play ingame i havent come across them yet ingame, this gripe is purely based on the way they seem to treat people on irc and the forums.

Weeble

Community Manager
Administrator
It stands to reason that those in authoritative (read: staff) positions should try and be happy and friendly towards the rest of the playerbase as they are all part of it! It's never a good thing when people lose their respect of those in power, no matter the overall situation!

I also just want to remind everyone that if you have any problems with any staff member then feel free to take it up with Azzer in a private forum message stating the staff member you have issues with and any relevant details! Personal digs in the public domain will be treated as flames and dealt with as such!

pinpower

Landscape Designer
Super Moderator
I may not be the best forum mod or helper but i do try and remain polite whenever im posting on the forums (or talking in IRC etc) as i am a member of the "bushtarion staff" now and we should act in this way to promote the game.

Tbh, all users should try and act civilized whether they are staff or not...but Weeble is right, staff especially should behave in a manner which promotes the game.

Similarly while we're on this topic, if anyone does see me post/act in a way which they think isnt right as a moderator/helper please let me know, chances are i didnt mean to come off that way and it then not only allows me to apologize but avoid posting/acting in a way which is unclear in the future.

x

Twigley

Hydroponics Developer
If i was someone who didn't want to give respect to someone because they had none for me but the fact i was an Op/Mod/Helper meant i had to -> I wouldn't want to be a helper and would resign instantly if Azzer didn't like it.

Im sure any Op/Mod/Helper would be/and is just dandy with anyone who is nice to them.

Cyrus

Official Helper
Community Operator
i think some people take things to heart when they shouldnt and bite back when they shouldnt, you have to put on a face in public, just like any other situation, when your *in office* you have to turn into that nice guy :)

TheNamelessWonder

Tree Surgeon
Some of the helpers act like complete knobs in the IRC channel, spammier and more immature than most anybody.

/me names nobody

Angela

Harvester
If i was someone who didn't want to give respect to someone because they had none for me but the fact i was an Op/Mod/Helper meant i had to -> I wouldn't want to be a helper and would resign instantly if Azzer didn't like it.

Im sure any Op/Mod/Helper would be/and is just dandy with anyone who is nice to them.

What about the new person who hasnt had yet any chance to get to know a mod/helper but checks out the forums and see the way ops/mods/helpers are behaving ie showing little respect to the bushtarion community? ops/mods/helpers should show respect to earn respect which allows the new person to feel confident to ask questions.

Twigley

Hydroponics Developer
Lead an alliance, get personal abuse thrown at you and abuse thrown at your alliance and then say that helpers should tolerate that.

No.

Alcibiades

Plant Geneticist
Some staff members do leave a lot to be desired in their speech and behaviour on these forums. So far I'm chalking it up to them being new at this. Time will tell if they improve. :)

Those staff members who aren't new, who are behaving like immature little brats should know better; and should be given an extremely stern warning from Azzer and put on probation with threats of being removed from their post. Shame on Azzer for letting these kinds of people represent him and his game. The actions of one staff member reflect poorly on the entire staff.

Angela

Harvester
Lead an alliance, get personal abuse thrown at you and abuse thrown at your alliance and then say that helpers should tolerate that.

No.

op/helpers/mod should take it away from public forum, showing contempt/dis respect to the community as a whole will only make the new people less likely to ask for help and that is what ops/helpers/mods are there for in my opinion. They need to be seen as being approachable (sp)

Twigley

Hydroponics Developer

No.

Your ingame persona should have nothing to do with your abilities, charm, and behaviour as a staff member. If you can't separate the two, then step down from one of them.

What a helper says in the Politics and Gripe section of the forum should not be constricted just because they are a helper.
It has to do with them being a gamer.

Just like Azzer seperates himself from being admin and comments on what people should do ingame.
Helpers should be able to voice their opinion.

No.

op/helpers/mod should take it away from public forum, showing contempt/dis respect to the community as a whole will only make the new people less likely to ask for help and that is what ops/helpers/mods are there for in my opinion. They need to be seen as being approachable (sp)

Well it aint gonna change while they're being insulted.
People ask for help just as much as they have done before and it's given out just as frequently as as detailed as before.
Friendly help was even given to two people that a helper doesn't get on with on the Forums OR on IRC.

So how you think helpers speaking out on ingame issues on the forums effects their performance and "helpability" ... i will never know.

Alcibiades

Plant Geneticist
Well i aint gonna change it

Then quite frankly you should be removed from your position or step down of your own accord. Shame on you.

What a helper says in the Politics and Gripe section of the forum should not be constricted just because they are a helper.

I'm not trying to constrict *what* it is you say but simply the manner in which you say it. Of course you are allowed to voice your opinion, it's one of the keystones of western culture, but you do not have the right to behave in an abusive, rude, rule breaking manner. Even more so because you are a staff member and should be seen to be slightly more mature than the rest of us.

Staff members are also supposed to be setting an example for all the players to follow, be it veterans to newbies so it might be worth taking a step back and reviewing exactly what kind of example you are setting for other players out there, and whether or not that's the kind of behaviour we really want to encourage in this game. Not to even *mention* the possible young and impressionable youth who are playing this game...

Twigley

Hydroponics Developer
Would it be better if it was all fluffy duffyied up?
Cos i don't do fluffy to some people.

Angela

Harvester
Being a op/helper/mod should mean you are approachable on the forums and irc and showing the contempt on said forums and irc isnt making them approachable, mod/ops/helpers can get there point across without showing contempt, ofc if asked they will help but if no one feels like there are approachable then no one is going to ask them for help?

personally i dont care what any op/mod/helper does ingame thats up to them but showing contempt in irc and forums to me shows a lack of respect for the game and the community in general you can seperate them to a point like Azzer but you dont see him putting it across in a way that shows contempt for the entire community.

Is it to much to ask for the ops/mods/helpers to show respect to a community that they have authority ?

pinpower

Landscape Designer
Super Moderator
You do have to leave anything that happens in-game out of your attitude and actions on the forums (especially as a mod) obviously.
As a helper i think you have a bit more leeway, especially on boards such as the politics section, where discussions are allowed to be slightly more heated. However Angela is right in that you should always remain polite (even more so than regular users) and respectful of other peoples views and opinions.

x