Prometheus (movie) - *spoilers*

timtadams

Landscape Designer
I just wanted to hear what other people thought of this movie, because I though it was utter crap.

First of all, there was the whole first world educated problem of "I really wanted to enjoy this movie, but it's too scientifically inaccurate". I know I shouldn't expect much, but it felt like there was supposed to be a certain realism to the movie which I couldn't buy in to.

Then there was the repeated stupidity of the protagonists which just made me think, 'if you are that stupid, you deserve to die'. Like taking their helmets off on an alien planet, where they would probably have no resistance to any form of pathogen. ("omg, there is oxygen, lets take our helmets off", while the only objection relates to a distrust of their sensors (like why are you even using them if you don't trust the oxygen level/pressure readouts?)). Or the massive (obviously deadly) storm that is rolling in, yet they procrastinate instead of waiting for the next day to pack the alien head that's been sitting there for ****ing years already. Or running into the storm to get said head, endangering theirs and others lives. Or ****ing with the head out of containment ("oh look it's mutating, lets probe it and make it do more funky sh*t, but not in containment, because that would make too much sense").

And then there was the droid. Which was really weird. Firstly he just rolls about, acting like he knows everything (maybe even a bit too much), and sneaks one of the vases on the ship (not in confinement either). And then proceeds to sneakily poison one of the dudes with the organic fluid. OK, so here it would seem that he has a different agenda, probably from the guy who made it. But it soon turns out that the guy who made the droid and funded the expedition is actually not dead (but was supposedly) and is on the ship, and has no idea about the hostile intentions of the aliens, or their 'weapon', so how could the droid know anything more than everyone else? and why did he infect that guy? Then the droid turns out to be helpful. Like wtf did I miss?!

and whole process of getting to the end alien form was ****ing weird. The droid infects guy who then ****s his girlfriend, she ends up pregnant with some squid thing which she gets cut out of her. The squid thing grows to massive size, and later implants egg in 'engineer' alien, and then out pops an 'alien'. Was this supposed to be the first?

And what was the point of the 'engineer' at the start poisoning himself and his remains falling into waterfall, and supposedly new DNA forming?

Yeah, total BS in my opinion.

Apart from everything that I thought was wrong with it, there was the lack of any point to the movie, apart to just be some kind of prequel. It wasn't funny, or scary/horror/suspenseful/gripping/action. it wasn't anything. Just lame.

Dax

Hydroponics Developer
You've got my support there mate - The reason it was so crap was because Giger revoked the rights for them to use his alien designs, so they had to make all-new ones as well as rewrite the entire script.

Alvestein

Garden Designer
that is absolutely hilarious atsan xD Best link ever!

p.s. I do actually agree with you though tim, it was shiiiiiiiiiiiit

edd

Tree Surgeon
It has been a few months since I saw the film but I think I remember thinking at the start the engineer is making the human race

timtadams

Landscape Designer
haha, nice one Atsan! They summed it up well.

rotten tomatoes gave it 73% and metacritic says generally favourable, hence my confusion. But I have since easily found scathing reviews highlighting my issues. Such as on Forbes.com, which call it a 'visually stunning epic failure'.

btw, everyone, even those with negative reviews, praise the acting of the droid. And then I was wondering why, because he is a good robot? I wonder, at points he subtly hints towards having emotion, which turns out is false (maybe I was reading in to it too much here).
Either way, it isn't hard to act like a damn robot, displaying no emotion. Heck, they could have casted Kristen Stewart and she would have gotten a damn Oscar.

timtadams

Landscape Designer
It has been a few months since I saw the film but I think I remember thinking at the start the engineer is making the human race

yeah, I read that in some comment on a review. Which I guess could make sense. But it's pretty stupid way of doing it I reckon. They were supposed to be super advanced, capable of inter stellar travel and genetic engineering, but they initiate human life by some mutagenic organic fluid requiring the suicide of one of themselves. LOL.

I also saw posted somewhere that there are some websites/pages dedicated to explaining the numerous massive plot holes.
Just the fact that these exist shows how hard the movie fails.