New laptop (websites)(deals)

Gooner

Head Gardener
Hey guys I'm looking to get a new laptop not exceeding £375. I've found a few websites which seem pretty decent although very few laptops with dedicated graphics alongside a good processor. saveonlaptops.co.uk and bestbuy.co.uk I've been looking at just wondered if anyone knows any other sites for laptops which wont a lot.

Been looking for a laptop like this
http://www.saveonlaptops.co.uk/Samsung_R525_987270.html

However the processor is a bit lacking in comparison to the same speed i3

Cheers!

timtadams

Landscape Designer
Ebay

btw, dont get sucked into the idea of dedicated graphics. While yes, its good, it doesnt mean that a laptop with dedicated graphics is an uber games machine. The graphics card in that laptop is a fairly low end graphics card. It WILL play new games, like Crysis on low detail and mediocre resolution. So its not that bad. (but with the AMD im not sure it would do quite as well)

Im guessing that this is what you are looking far anyway given the price range. Remember when buying a laptop for gaming GPU >> CPU. But still, dont get a celeron :p

Compare laptop graphics cards

Im pretty sure an i3 is dual core with hyperthreading, so 4 threads. i5 will be quad core (still 4 threads) and i7 is quad core with hyperthreading so its got 8 threads. Or something like that, its not quite that simple. In general i3 < i5 < i7. Basically more threads = multitasking.

That AMD is dual core < i3

Compare laptop processors

Follow the links around, they have tested games with most graphics cards. You can check what type of laptop/processor they were using with the graphics card when they tested it. Its pretty simple and neatly set out which makes it useful.

For example at the bottom they have test results for many games.

They have benchmark lists and comparison lists for both processor and graphics card, so you can directly compare graphics cards and processors (within not between duh :p) (to an extent)

There should be plenty of laptops around that price range, just cross compare their graphics cards and processors and see what works best. Id try go for i3 though (but i dunno what thats gonna do to price, im not gonna do browsing right now :p)

oh and i did say ebay, but you dont necessarily get cheapest there. I got a AU$2100 (RRP) laptop for effectively AU$1310 from JB HiFi

[edit] btw, thats pretty cheap, so its gonna be hard to get something if you want half decent gaming and general 'quickness'.
If you dont want gaming, ie you want to do word docs/listen to music/internet/other work/education related programs, then go for the i3 and ditch the graphics card

Last edited:

Gooner

Head Gardener
Haha yeah I know it wont be amazing for gaming but a bit of C+C/ CS:S or cod 4 (maybe throw a little theme hospital in the mix) anything that can cope with them is useful. Yeah I wasn't planning of getting a celeron lmao. Yeah I saw a site comparing the processors the AMD was kinda sucky seeing as I have a quad core in my desktop which is awesome :/
That bottom link is awesome gonna have a browse at that now cheers. Hmm that's quite a discount don't think Ill wait till July when I'm in Australia to buy one there though! ha

cheers though Tim

timtadams

Landscape Designer
Yeah, was a great discount. I think they were prepared to drop the price a bit because i was also buying extra 2 years warranty with them. But at another jb hifi store the dude working there was like "thats an amazing price". So its not the norm around here, dont worry :p

i think it was one of the last ones, and i pulled the 'I can get it from XX for 1500', although i didnt tell them that XX were going into receivership...lol

Oh yeah, and see what kind of reviews you can find on any laptop you are looking at. Maybe see if there are any user reviews describing what games they can play (just make sure it can do COD4 ;)). Reviews are great to read. You will generally see good reviews if you can pick good laptops, but they are not all good. For example an average review might not cut it for you