Multi-monitor set up

silentnick

Planter
Happy New Year everyone!!

I currently have a laptop (Acer TravelMate 2492) and was wondering if I could attach another monitor - to either use as a dual set up, or instead of the inbuilt one (only 15").

- Is it possible to do this with a laptop?
- Would I need to do anything inparticular or just plug and play? (eg new graphics card?)
- Could I change from having both plugged in to just the laptop with no fuss - ie basically turning it into a desktop when at my desk, laptop when out?
- Could I use a tv monitor or does it need to be a computer one?
- Anything particular I should look out for? (I'd be looking for 22" or so, dependant on price.... any technical bits I should look into?

Thanks for all the help, I'm fairly useless when it comes to computers (bar what I use them for)!

Markb

Harvester
Community Operator
Re: Multi-monitor set up

- Is it possible to do this with a laptop? Yes, as long as it has a vga port on the back (98% of laptops do)
- Would I need to do anything inparticular or just plug and play? (eg new graphics card?) Once setup its plug and play
- Could I change from having both plugged in to just the laptop with no fuss - ie basically turning it into a desktop when at my desk, laptop when out? Yes
- Could I use a tv monitor or does it need to be a computer one? You could, but its better and easier to use a computer monitor
- Anything particular I should look out for? (I'd be looking for 22" or so, dependant on price.... any technical bits I should look into? As long as its vga / has a vga adaptor. Things you need to consider when comparing monitors are the contrast, and response time (I'm not too sure on these myself)

Bobbin

Head Gardener

Only issue is. If you're going to use a 15" laptop screen and a 22" monitor... It's gonna be... Proper weird to use, Like, VERY.. (I run dual 19" at work, and one doesn't always set to the right resolution)... If they are different sizes it will be strange, so be warned :)

silentnick

Planter

Thanks guys....

Yeah I'm not too sure about using them as a dual monitor in hind sight - will probably just use the bigger one, but will see what it looks like...especially if i keep it for tracking some stats, etc.

Bobbin, how does 2 19" look and work together?
Would you say it would be better for me to go for 2 19"s or 1 22/24" (Would then need another port though - I'm assuming this is possible?) - Would also be easier on my wallet for now if I started off just with one.

I think its the pixels that I really need to have the most of (?) - is it better to have say 2 x 1400x900 monitors or 1 x 1680x1050/1920x1200 (Current 15" is 1040x728)

Bobbin

Head Gardener

Id always got for two monitors the same size.

I was assuming you would use the laptop screen AND a extra monitor to dual on.. A collegue does it, so it is possible...

In all honestly, should always try to stick to same res/screen size. Makes it easier to use tbh..

Bobbin

Head Gardener

silentnick said:
So 2 smaller ones > 1 big one?

Depends... I don't know how i would survive without dual screen... but if you prefer to have a larger working area that 2 small ones then it's your choice really..

Tim

Harvester

For me it depends on what you're using each screen for. My work setup is a laptop with docking station and 19" monitor. I have emails and notes opened in the laptop screen only, and I find the laptop provides a screen for "communication". The main LCD is used for actual work.

My home setup is a 24" monitor with 19" add-on monitor. With this setup, the 24" monitor is used for web browsing, work, etc. The 19" is used for IRC, Slingplayer and anything like iTunes or Quicktime for media playback.

silentnick

Planter

What about two of these:
http://www.dabs.com/productview.asp...1&NavigationKey=11109,49800000,12#description

Does the fact that response rate is 8ms make much difference? - Other ones I've been looking at are 5ms but have a smaller resolution.

I have one VGA port at the back of my laptop, can you get an adapter to let you plug 2 in? (Would prob only get 1 to start with, and another in a couple of months).... what are these called? How much should I be paying for them?

Bobbin

Head Gardener

Tim said:
For me it depends on what you're using each screen for. My work setup is a laptop with docking station and 19" monitor. I have emails and notes opened in the laptop screen only, and I find the laptop provides a screen for "communication". The main LCD is used for actual work.

My home setup is a 24" monitor with 19" add-on monitor. With this setup, the 24" monitor is used for web browsing, work, etc. The 19" is used for IRC, Slingplayer and anything like iTunes or Quicktime for media playback.

My dual 19" at work just gets everything thrown accross both monitors so i can look at two things at once... if i need to shift something to the other monitor i just whack Alt Gr + arrow.. and it moves..

I tend to keep my email on the left, and web on the right....

but as for work stuff goes... It changes all the time.. Though Crimson tends to be on the left most of the time...