• Those wishing to contribute to the game by making suggestions (both small and large) should read the following before doing so.

Bushtarion largely runs completely automatically, and has been designed intentionally to be as self-maintaining as possible, with mechanics and balance considered at a completed point.

Please do not spend large amounts of time coming up with complex suggestions in the hope that they will be read and possibly implemented in the future, unless you just enjoy the discussion, theory-craft, and such.

The most likely changes will be rules-changes, specific number-tweaks to units, techs, and similar sorts of changes, and only if a large community consensus is reached as "proof" that a change would, overall, be an improvement, and are more likely to be done in batches, occassionally, not as a regular thing.

Making game mobile.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Obstacle

Pruner
I've seen a lot of talk on here about making the game mobile. And as a developer that can mean a couple different things.

Are people wanting an 'app' which would be a completely stand alone version of the game, or is all people are wanting is a website that looks good is easy to use and functions perfect on a mobile device and a standard desktop type website?

I would think people would want a website that also functions just fine on a mobile/tablet device is that what people are basically asking for with the mobile request?

Dimitar

Landscape Designer
Am I allowed to answer if I think an app is a bad idea?

Obstacle

Pruner
Am I allowed to answer if I think an app is a bad idea?

Of course. I tend to agree as well. App's have their market, and I don't think this game fits in it.

I just wanted to make sure if people REALLY wanted an app (for some reason) or if they just wanted a functional game on a mobile phone.

Obstacle

Pruner
Maybe wait for a response from your locked thread instead of starting a new one.

I already explained in my other thread how that would be mobile friendly.

This is a general question wondering what people mean when they request an 'app' because most people don't know the difference between an 'app' and a website built to work on a mobile/tablet device.

Am I not allowed to ask legitimate questions now?

InSoMnIaC20

Head Gardener
I would be quite happy with an "app" that opens the webpage but also encorperates a calculator for seeds, spys pars and hacks values as I play 100% from my phone

Dimitar

Landscape Designer
I would be happy if people had no way of accessing the game through their phones.

Obstacle

Pruner
I would be happy if people had no way of accessing the game through their phones.

I would have to say you are a first on the side of the fence that I have run into. What would be the difference in allowing and denying mobile phone use?

Or why do you feel that way about mobile use?

Dimitar

Landscape Designer
Because back when this game was actually playable, people would find enjoyment in attacking and having actual fights, insted of their targets being contacted and running. Now it seems that if you want to kill a competitive (not going to use the word good) player, you have to attack him about 20 times before you manage to somehow get a BR.

Contactability is ****.

Obstacle

Pruner
Because back when this game was actually playable, people would find enjoyment in attacking and having actual fights, insted of their targets being contacted and running. Now it seems that if you want to kill a competitive (not going to use the word good) player, you have to attack him about 20 times before you manage to somehow get a BR.

Contactability is ****.

Do you think people opted to that style of play because getting killed in a single tick of combat is too easy and being crippled just makes you want to quit.

do you think people would care less about being contactable if the penalties of going through an attack were not as severe or debilitating?

Don't get me wrong they should have some type of penalty, otherwise the attack becomes worthless. But do you think if making an attack hurt way less than it does now that people would opt less to call me if needed type of attitude?

InSoMnIaC20

Head Gardener
I completely agree with the contactabilty issue Dimitar, I am no longer contactable as I enjoy my sleep and dont really want disturbing while I drive for a living.

That being said, I also dont own a laptop or tablet at the moment so would be unable to play the game at all without my phone.

The only way to combat the contact issue is for the whole playerbase to agree not to have a contact thread.

Sadly I feel this will never happen.

Softening the game may help the playerbase to stray away from contactability but there will allways be that hardcore few that just love their troops so much that they wont let them die by being contacted in the middle of the night by a stranger from half way across the world.

No-Dachi

Official Helper
I think an app would be the best solution. Then you can hide some features and make a real playable front on the app, while keeping the game and it's subleties on the www page.

'Tiger'

Landscape Designer
I would favour towards the app stage myself. The age we live in now, if people want to play games, they want apps, not having to go on a website for it. Everything has an app now.

If people in this game downloaded the app, and it got advertised well, then the app could be just as successful.

In response to Dimitar's comment about phone access: I agree, and disagree. I agree because people continually running does get boring. But, I disagree because people only play through their phones. So because you dont like people running, you're going to stop people being able to play altogether? And also if you dont allow to play through phones, then an app or mobile friendly www wont be able to be made, possibly reducing potential customers.

Max

Garden Designer
OK this post may be met with complete and utter derision, but I'm starting to spend a bit more free time working on a bushtarion simulator.

Instead of posting asking for ideas though I've just kinda been getting on with it and then when it's finished I'll get some of you guys to beta test it and let me know what you think.

It'll start out being a single player "tool" rather than a game. I've already written the battle calculator and have a clear idea of one of the game modes, which is a solo survival mode. Essentially it's a completely simplified version of solo play where you get to pick between 20 randomised targets at 50% of your score, attack 5 of them, and then at the end of a "day" a randomised target comes and attacks YOU.

Then the next day starts and all the targets are raised to 60% of your score, increasing up and up until you get zeroed.

Main reason I'm doing this is because 1) I think that I'll find it a fun tool even if no-one else does and I'm the only one who ever plays it 2) It's my first android app and I enjoy learning how to do new things and 3) Legacy reasons, if the server dies and Azzer decides it's not cost effective to keep it going he'll just stop the game, simple as that.

I'm not even going to bother providing an end-date because you won't believe me anyway xD But just to let you and especially Obstacle know what I'm doing.

The thing that's going to take the longest is linking all the pages together and ensuring the data gets transferred between those pages without bugging out on me, but the battle calculator and page layouts are finished.

The good news is that I've got a 3 hour commute each day with my new job so I can dedicate time to this project, but the bad news is that I have to finish my last PhD rewrites first, which will take a week xD

Just thought it was relevant to the current discussion.

Max

antisback

Head Gardener
I would favour towards the app stage myself. The age we live in now, if people want to play games, they want apps, not having to go on a website for it. Everything has an app now.

If people in this game downloaded the app, and it got advertised well, then the app could be just as successful.

In response to Dimitar's comment about phone access: I agree, and disagree. I agree because people continually running does get boring. But, I disagree because people only play through their phones. So because you dont like people running, you're going to stop people being able to play altogether? And also if you dont allow to play through phones, then an app or mobile friendly www wont be able to be made, possibly reducing potential customers.

You guys sound like the clients i have to deal with, "we need an app". Do you really or are you just saying that because apps are sexy. All bushtarion needs is a mobile friendly stylesheet - i'm not sure an app would provide any extra functionality above and beyond a responsive site.
Thats beside the fact azzer built bushtarion to be incredibly difficult to integrate with, the lack of apis and the cookie limit make it very difficult. I've been eperimenting with injecting css into the site with phonegap, watch this space i guess.

Gokualex

Harvester

You guys sound like the clients i have to deal with, "we need an app". Do you really or are you just saying that because apps are sexy. All bushtarion needs is a mobile friendly stylesheet - i'm not sure an app would provide any extra functionality above and beyond a responsive site.
Thats beside the fact azzer built bushtarion to be incredibly difficult to integrate with, the lack of apis and the cookie limit make it very difficult. I've been eperimenting with injecting css into the site with phonegap, watch this space i guess.

By having an you get to be on google play/itunes (as you probably know), which means the game is much easier to find for people.

It's also much easier to monetize the game and do marketing for it.

And bla bla bla.

Not sure how much effort is needed convert the game into an app, but it'd be worth it.

What are your clients doing anyway? If you wanna be in the gaming business you have to have an app, unless the game is solely for computers/consoles...

Asmodeous

Garden Designer
Super Moderator
Maybe wait for a response from your locked thread instead of starting a new one.

I already explained in my other thread how that would be mobile friendly.

This is a general question wondering what people mean when they request an 'app' because most people don't know the difference between an 'app' and a website built to work on a mobile/tablet device.

Am I not allowed to ask legitimate questions now?

This question has already been asked in previous threads. Please use the forum search function before posting a redundant thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.