IRC user etiquette

Markb

Harvester
Community Operator
Please please please

lusers who want to talk to me, to either get some help from me or whatever you may want, please do not just say my name in a channel or PM. Please explain the problem/ help required and try to convince me why I should give a toss to respond to you when I get back to my IRC client or I'll just ignore you. I am not active on IRC 24/7/365 STOP WASTING MY TIME

/whois exists and is useful for other people when I go /away, use it!!!!!!!!!
</rant>

Cheese

Tree Surgeon
Re: IRC user etiquette

If you don't want bugging for help don't be an irc op simple as.

Markb

Harvester
Community Operator

Cheese said:
If you don't want bugging for help don't be an irc op simple as.

bugging for help is fine, its the way they are asking for help that I'm ranting about. Kinda like knocking and bolting (for those unfamilar with the phrase, its where you knock on someone's front door and run away out of sight) when you go round to someone's house.

f0xx

Landscape Designer

Lol, seems like you met IceOfFire constant nick mentioning and then disappearing abilities :p

I know how it sux and I know how helpful Markb can be, so stop bugging him losers! :)

saint1d

Head Gardener

Markb said:
try to convince me why I should give a toss

seems a bit harsh, and maybe not the best way to go about explaining what you want :roll:

however I think what you are saying is fair enough. it is difficult to imagine how much crap helpers get asked, a lot of it no doubt a total waste of time.

pinpower

Landscape Designer
Super Moderator

MarkB=GOD

so give the guy a break! He is the jesus, moses and noah of IRC!

harriergirl

Landscape Designer

NetGamers CSC Senior Administrator
Planetarion Team Member
#Bushtarion Channel Operator
IRC/Bushmail: Markb

Stop whining.. Please see reasons listed above. If you are this stressed out by your job, then step down. ffs.

Markb

Harvester
Community Operator

I'm allowed to rant, so don't tell me to stop whining.

Even if I weren't in the positions you kindly listed, I would still get people asking me for help (which is what I am OK with, its the WAY some people are doing it)

harriergirl

Landscape Designer

Sure you can rant. But it's still part of your job to deal with people, and again it really makes another black mark against IRC ops SOME of twhich already have a reputation of having double standards and being unapproachable.

Sorry, I don't speak up often here but I advertise your post to Azzer as one more reason the playerbase is disgruntled and morale is low.

Cheese

Tree Surgeon

I'm sorry markb but harriergirl is 100% correct.
You knew what you were taking on when you took the job of irc op.

All you have to do is quit.

Benneh

Tree Surgeon
Super Moderator

/me rofls

Not really Cheese, He isn't complaining about being asked for the help, but the way that people are asking for it, People just say "Markb", It'd be alot easier for him if they actually asked what they want help with from the start.
I suppose the annoyance comes with the job and being well known for it, Markb :p

saint1d

Head Gardener

pinpower said:
MarkB=GOD

so give the guy a break! He is the jesus, moses and noah of IRC!

Was trying to give him a break. All I said was that his words were a touch harsh, but followed it up with "he has a fair point".

I'm sure if he had responded with "I was pissed off and didnt post the most creative comment" then most people would sympathise with him.

To suggest that he shud quit, and he knew what he was taking on, etc, is just silly. If I was to quit work everytime I had a bad day then I'd be screwed :p

Souls

Official Helper

To be fair, most of the times I do ask him and his away pops up, is me saying "Markb, around?" :p