Forum Signups Require Game Account & Account Deletions

Azzer

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Edit: We are on the new forums now, and the new forums require a unique code to signup a new forum account, which can only be seen from the in-game account portals page, and requires your forum account to use the same email address as your game account uses. Original message below:

---

In preparation for moving servers to a faster, more powerful one in - if all goes well - in 5-6 weeks or so (between rounds), and upgrading all the server software to the latest versions of everything (which involves re-writing chunks of the game code on every single page too...), the forum software will also be getting updated to the latest version.

I've ALSO deleted around 16,500 accounts, 99.99% of them would have been bots - many that had odd spam links in their about me, or URL, or signatures, or were just registered ready to be logged in at a future time to post spam from "old accounts" - unfortunately there likely will have been a few genuine accounts with 0 posts - I'm really sorry but there was absolutely no way to sanely filter you out!

If you are a player who either lost your account and would like it back, you can signup a new account now!

Going forward, once we do have new forum software on the new server, depending on what bot/spam prevention the latest forum software does or doesn't have (I'm going to guess doesn't as no forum seems safe), I'm likely to link forum registration to a game account, so only people who are logged into an actual Bushtarion game account, can register a forum account.

Any problems with any of this, let me know!

(thank you so, so much to the poor forum moderators who have been fighting the bots all this time, Asmo especially stands out with the longest mod-log ever)

Last edited:

Azzer

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
As a followup to this, forum account signups now required a special "account portal code" field.

This field is generated in-game, on your account details page in the portal, and only works if your in-game account email address matches the email address you are trying to use to signup a forum account with.

A link to the appropriate account portal page is given on the registration page, to find it easily, and the new account portal page has instructions/info.

This does mean nobody can make a forum account without having a game account now, but I don't think that's much of an issue, and stopping the bots is more useful.