Facebook is going downhill...

Azzer

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
A thread not worthy of anywhere but spam... anyway...

Is it just me, or has the old Facebook essentially been replaced with a modernised Twitter? My "news page" now seems flooded with constant live "status updates" from everyone on my friends list, with very little else appearing, and it just looks a lot like twitter... with such mundane things as;

Bob is drinking tea!
Frank has a piece of toast.
Jimmy is hungry.

Such personal things that shouldn't be shared considering many "Facebook friends" are often not exactly "personal friends" such as;

Pete has just had his heart broken after being rejected by a girl :(
Susan F**ING HATES PETE!!! F YOU YOU PERV!!!!!

And then utterly random meaningless things that have pretty much no relation to anything whatsoever.

I'm all for status updates being used as a way to "announce news" - the kind of news not too personal to want to share it with anyone and everyone at least... and I'm ok with the silly/random/funny stuff I guess... but god dammit, most people flood it with utterly boring mundane things that NOBODY CARES ABOUT - which previously was not a huge issue as only selected status updates went in and it was interspersed with all the other Facebook things, but NOW....

Facebook has slowly been degrading from the original project which was for University students only and was "relatively mature" (you had to have an email address at a known/registered university to join etc.), and now it's turning in to the social networking equivalent of a trashy celebrity gossip magazine like "Heat!" or whatever.

Ugh.

Polo

Garden Designer
Super Moderator
Never used twitter... But the new facebook homepage is absolutely dire. It's just too "busy".

pinpower

Landscape Designer
Super Moderator
new facebook is awful!

Also, i know what you mean Azzer about the status updates...i have a friend that i noticed oneday had changed her "status" 12 times...IN ONE DAY!! I dont even do 12 things in one day!!!

x

Alcibiades

Plant Geneticist
Every facebook update once they got the original platform stable has been worse and worse. It is becoming more twitter like.

I think it's desperation from Zuckerberg and his team, since these kinds of sites don't actually make money, they have to keep switching up the design to keep us interested so we don't bail on them... Also since 'twitter' seemed to be the next new big thing, Facebook jumped on the twitter idea and 'stole' it, so that people won't leave Facebook for Twitter. I think it was a foolish decision. In somewhat related news, Zuckerberg is no longer on the Forbes Billionaires list after the recent recession, and the fact that Facebook doesn't actually make money. :D

f0xx

Landscape Designer
I've never used Facebook, but I use some BG sites like it, and it recently got that same exact chage - "status updates" and it is such a sh!t change. Now after I read this post I can't believe that BG site/s just follow the trend of the leader and implement similar changes no matter how stupid they are. My "log book" is now FULL of spam like what Azzer mentioned...

Alcibiades

Plant Geneticist
facebook does make money, facebook is worth crap loads!

It doesn't make money. It is worth an over exaggerated and inflated amount. It has no income other than money force fed it from venture capitalists, even in this recession. Same with Twitter and all those other crappy social networking sites that don't sell anything and have to pay out large sums to maintain servers and such for their 'rapidly expanding' userbase; which isn't rapidly expanding either ;)

Twitter especially is losing money hand over fist because of fees for the mobile updates and has suspended the service in the UK i believe, and in some other portions of the world because the cost of maintaining the service was higher than the income they generated out of it. Same problem with facebook on a less large scale, they don't generate enough income to maintain themselves. Give it a while, some new social networking site will come up, and boom, facebook will crumple like a wet paper bag.

"Court papers have told the world what it already knows: Facebook is not worth $15bn.

That was the value Microsoft slapped on the social networking poster child last October when it forked over $240m for a 1.6 per cent stake in the company. But according to papers from the recently settled court case between Facebook and Harvard University dating site ConnectU, Facebook believes its common stock is worth only $3.75bn."

Admittedly, as the article i took this from points outs, both numbers are not correct (or weren't at the time of writing) and that ConnectU had it a little too low, and Microsoft had it waaaaaaaaaaay too high.

The following article, whilst not from a wildly newsworthy source, more or less sums it up

http://gawker.com/5106128/facebooks-new-value-13-billion

facebookchart.jpg

Steve_God

Official Helper
Hopefully they'll include options and preferences for who you'd prefer to receive updated from... instead of every man, women and their dog!

Max

Garden Designer
A thread not worthy of anywhere but spam... anyway...

Is it just me, or has the old Facebook essentially been replaced with a modernised Twitter? My "news page" now seems flooded with constant live "status updates" from everyone on my friends list, with very little else appearing, and it just looks a lot like twitter... with such mundane things as;

Bob is drinking tea!
Frank has a piece of toast.
Jimmy is hungry.

Such personal things that shouldn't be shared considering many "Facebook friends" are often not exactly "personal friends" such as;

Pete has just had his heart broken after being rejected by a girl :(
Susan F**ING HATES PETE!!! F YOU YOU PERV!!!!!

And then utterly random meaningless things that have pretty much no relation to anything whatsoever.

I'm all for status updates being used as a way to "announce news" - the kind of news not too personal to want to share it with anyone and everyone at least... and I'm ok with the silly/random/funny stuff I guess... but god dammit, most people flood it with utterly boring mundane things that NOBODY CARES ABOUT - which previously was not a huge issue as only selected status updates went in and it was interspersed with all the other Facebook things, but NOW....

Facebook has slowly been degrading from the original project which was for University students only and was "relatively mature" (you had to have an email address at a known/registered university to join etc.), and now it's turning in to the social networking equivalent of a trashy celebrity gossip magazine like "Heat!" or whatever.

Ugh.

I couldn't agree more.

As a University student, when I came to Uni I signed up to Facebook, and it was a brilliant way to stay in contact with all of my new friends and events.

The moment it was opened up to people other than University, it failed miserably. Also, the number of applications became too great and too cluttering.

In the end, I left Facebook after the BBC showed that you could write a program that pretended to be an application but actually stole your friends' information. Yes, YOUR FRIENDS' information, not your own, so that if you have a friend that is silly enough to sign up to every application going around, you've lost your details to some malicious intent.

To me there was no other option but to leave really lol.

Anyway, alas, Facebook has been demolished and tainted by its own success. Sad really!

Tapeyy

Pruner
It is physically impossible for facebook to go down hill. It was just to bad in the first place. I really can't find a use for it.

pinpower

Landscape Designer
Super Moderator
I like the concept, as i live a fair distance away from alot of my friends and loads of them are at uni so its a good way to stay in touch...but the new design layout is shockingly awful!!!

I only use it for "writing on peoples walls" and the odd event/group thing. All these "you've been bitten by a vampire, join the vampires fight!" **** is pants! And those quizes and stuff like that...

The fact there are people in society taking part/making these things astounds me...natural selection failed a long time ago :D

x

LadyDarkAngel

Harvester
As we're on the subject... does anyone else get friends requests from total strangers? Do people really use it to make friends rather than to catch up with people they already know? Are people really that sad? :?

Last edited:

Martin

Garden Designer
Super Moderator
Community Operator
Holly Sara Freeman took the "when will you die??" quiz and the result is: 25 october , 2008

sigh....

Scorpio

Head Gardener
Holly Sara Freeman took the "when will you die??" quiz and the result is: 25 october , 2008

sigh....

Lmfao! And with the new version we can all enjoy this INTERESTING news as it's all in our news feed!