Facebook Arguement (stupid i know)

Davis

Tree Surgeon
For those of you that know me well in this game you should know I'm a strong Christian (which isn't the point of this post so refrain from omg God is fake noob esk posts) When one of my classmates posted this as his status I decided I'd make a point to stand up for what I believe, while I personally have nothing against people who don't follow Christianity or even follow other religions, or even if they're atheist, however I hate when people ignorantly make claims against my religion (especially when there are many many arguments they could have that would have much more of a point)

Now knowing that Bushtarion is more towards the Atheist side, I figured I'd come here to ask your opinion on the arguemnt, (as a biased other side view point) I personally feel this kid made a idiot of himself and want to know if thats due to me being biased.

thanks

http://i44.tinypic.com/16bzo2f.png

Twigley

Hydroponics Developer
Bushtarion has an Atheist view?
How'd you make that generalisation?
I'm catholic and went to church every week for 16 years.

You don't need to prove your belief to others.
Arguing what's right and wrong and trying to find facts on a religion that is based on faith is completely backwards.

I'm cringing that you took to Bushtarion forums about it.
I also cringed at the part where you say parts in the bible are partial facts because science proves it - sounds desperate.

Imo you made an idiot of yourself by replying to it.

Alcibiades

Plant Geneticist
That is one of the saddest and most pathetic things I have ever seen. You both made idiots of yourselves. Also he trolled you GOOD!

You're both utterly full of yourselves and beyond deluded on so many points I have neither the time or inclination to point them out. That whole exchange is merely verbal diarrhea without any true substance; tis simply pompous "smart"asses spouting unsubstantiated and under researched opinions.

Don't argue about religion or faith. It's invariably a lose-lose argument since it all boils down to personal belief anyways.

Anyways. On topic. The only time religion and education should be tied together is in the study of religion. Religion has no place in a secular school system. Pray in private if you will, that is your personal choice (and indeed your right); but keep it to yourself. Overt mixing of religion and education is a gigantic "no-no" in my books. Of course, thats merely my opinion

MacMikey

Harvester
Kinda made me think of this :

religions.jpg

Now I know some people might find it rather harsh but there is a point it.
It sure is why I dont believe in any religion, allthough my parents baptised me and went to church while I was a kid.

The other part I really cant stand though, not to christians alone but ith any other religion, is that everyone thinks their religion is the only right one or the best one.
Islam, Christianity, Budhism, they all have different views on life and rules to abide, who can see which is the `correct` one if you had to pick one?

MacMikey

Harvester
Ghe he got the text from a pic I've seen before. The pic is really mocking the whole thing so I wouldn't post that.
Something with feelings may be hurt and stuff :)

MacMikey

Harvester
Lol thats so true :')
I just like to know whose feelings I might hurt, with things like religion you might end up hurting half the playerbase or so.

Alcibiades

Plant Geneticist
Gullible folk that they are I'm sure they could easily be persuaded that you didn't really mean it. All you'd have to do is ask a priest to intercede on your behalf with an invisible man in the sky so you can atone for your mistakes. ;)

pinpower

Landscape Designer
Super Moderator
Anyways. On topic. The only time religion and education should be tied together is in the study of religion. Religion has no place in a secular school system. Pray in private if you will, that is your personal choice (and indeed your right); but keep it to yourself. Overt mixing of religion and education is a gigantic "no-no" in my books. Of course, thats merely my opinion

Agreed with everything Alci says here.

Personally i think you seriously overreacted. I'd agree prayer has no place in normal schools. And this guy was just making a joke about it. Again i'd agree there's very little fact in religious teachings.

So yeah, the fact that a proper argument was caused by this is silly IMO.

webvictim

Harvester
As has been said, arguing about religion is generally a fruitless task as you won't change anyone's opinion. The point the guy made was fairly accurate - I don't believe that prayer should be the default, just like I don't believe that religion should be taught in schools. It's someone's choice whether they choose to follow it, and it shouldn't be presented to anyone as fact.

He made himself look a total idiot by resorting to the personal insults, however. If you'd told him that you were going to leave the argument at that point as it had descended into silliness you could have claimed the moral high ground, but unfortunately that didn't happen either.

Are you American, out of interest?

Dark_Angel

Landscape Designer
Super Moderator
Community Operator
I don't know how I feel about religion in school.

On one hand I think its a form of indoctrination - Children believe whatever they're told to believe from a young age.

On the other - Whilst I don't believe in God, I do believe that various teachings provide children with a source of very positive values (in a world where there are so precious few sources) - The value of friendship, the necessity for respect for one another, the difference between right and wrong.

I'd be more comfortable with religion in schools if there was a more concerted effort to ensure children were made aware there is a wide range of belief systems - Rather than one - As is usually the case.

-

I am, however, very much against people forcing religion onto others. Everyone has the right to opt out of religion, they shouldn't be slammed for that decision - That decision shouldn't be forcefully disputed - I don't go around asking people why the hell they believe in God. Likewise I'd prefer it if people didn't approach me to ask why the hell not. (Not in so many words, ofc :p)

Davs

Garden Designer
Don't argue about religion or faith. It's invariably a lose-lose argument since it all boils down to personal belief anyways.

I read this, decided the thread had reached the correct verdict and stopped reading.
Well done Alci. :)

Alvestein

Garden Designer
lmao that was a brilliant picture macmikey :D made my day!

i can't be assed with squinting to read that incredibly small fonted facebook link but from reading other people's posts, seems like it was just a "my e penis is bigger than yours so im going to throw as many insults as i can at you" conversation.

marvin

Tree Surgeon
For those of you that know me well in this game you should know I'm a strong Christian (which isn't the point of this post so refrain from omg God is fake noob esk posts) When one of my classmates posted this as his status I decided I'd make a point to stand up for what I believe, while I personally have nothing against people who don't follow Christianity or even follow other religions, or even if they're atheist, however I hate when people ignorantly make claims against my religion (especially when there are many many arguments they could have that would have much more of a point)

Now knowing that Bushtarion is more towards the Atheist side, I figured I'd come here to ask your opinion on the arguemnt, (as a biased other side view point) I personally feel this kid made a idiot of himself and want to know if thats due to me being biased.

thanks

http://i44.tinypic.com/16bzo2f.png

Everything about this post makes me want to double facepalm. Infact, I JUST DID.

I'm a dirty fenian loving taig and went to IRA training every week for 16 years.

Fix'd.

On topic - What Alci and Twigley said. Words of wisdom as always (from Alci at least :3). :)

Last edited: