IceOfFire

Garden Designer
Does anyone here do much cycling?

Road biking, off road, doesn't matter just need some advice

Martin

Garden Designer
Super Moderator
Community Operator
No but I signed up to a few bike forums to ask for advice on buying a useful, price-concious and good spec hybrid bike - usable specifically on roads and off-road tracks...

Depends what you want the bike for.

Steve_God

Official Helper

every day, and sometimes twice a day.
You ride in the Netherlands, you don't count :p
You don't have to take into account comparing gear ratios on Hybrid vs Mountain bikes for hill climbing, as there are no hills :p lol

Depends what you want the bike for.
That was pretty much what I advised him of initially :)

Twigley

Hydroponics Developer
If its tight cycle short advice that youre after then ask mastah

atsanjose

Landscape Designer
Super Moderator

every day, and sometimes twice a day.
You ride in the Netherlands, you don't count :p
You don't have to take into account comparing gear ratios on Hybrid vs Mountain bikes for hill climbing, as there are no hills :p lol

hills are annoying to ride. they slow you down and you get tired. screw hills

anyway, to get back on the question:
it all depends if youre male or female

if male then you pick a manbicycle5532ad6339464accc2cef46566e15427@2x.jpg

if youre female then pick a womanbicycle
1243.jpg
BE101574_H_C.png

the difference between these two are the middlebar for the men so they can swing their way on the bike, and the women can easily step in so they dont have to show everyone what they have under their skirt. also the ceiting is wider for females and more slender for men, has something to do with your balls i presume.
but if you're going for that nostalgic look you are gonna need a grandma's bicycle$_84.jpg
those have superb wide seating with double suspension, backwards-peddle break (great for making drifts) and virtually indestructible.

nice accessory includes:

backcarrier
2500600600.JPG
Detail_Urban_RD9_Bagagedrager-1140x856.jpg
it isnt a bicycle if this isnt included. because how else are you gonna take that hot chick home whos left stranded at the pub?

lock
4af0f89cef46b9182c825396d4aa2435.jpg
2018_08_24_Sfeershoot-City-Arnhem-Sonia-en-Yara-Cortina-Soul-Cortina-U4-transport-zomer-lente-...jpg
altho most bicycles come with locks, the old ones dont always have them, and whats worse; stepping out of the pub to find that your bicycle is stolen and need to pay a taxi home, or buying a lock for 1/5 of the price of a taxiride.

Last edited:

LuckySports

Landscape Designer
What makes you think he's trolling? Other than the grandma bike comment (lol) everything he said is correct/sensible, and even that isn't really off, just interesting to see it added in there when the asking individual is male..

Martin

Garden Designer
Super Moderator
Community Operator
I'm back to defo getting a bike, and after hours of looking over sites and whatnot I've realised I'm going to pick a bike on aesthetics and price. I've narrowed it down to 5 and wanted some view points on them, if you know anything about the specific manufacturers and whatnot.

http://www.evanscycles.com/products/trek/70-fx-2012-hybrid-bike-ec031935#features

http://www.evanscycles.com/products/ridgeback/motion-2012-hybrid-bike-ec032043#features

http://www.evanscycles.com/products/saracen/urban-esc-2012-hybrid-bike-ec035320#features

http://www.evanscycles.com/products/pinnacle/lithium-one-2012-hybrid-bike-ec035870#features

http://www.evanscycles.com/products/dawes/discovery-201-2012-hybrid-bike-ec035274#features

Ignoring the price, I think the Trek one appears the best 'quality' but it's the only one I'd have to drive an hour to pick up and is the most expensive.

Steve_God

Official Helper
The bikes you've picked are essentially the same spec. wise, with all middle-spec components, so it's hard to pick one over another, especially given they're all around the same price point.

If I were going to buy one of those 5, on paper, I'd go for Trek or Pinnacle given their general reputation. (That said, it looks like the Pinnacle one doesn't come with a Chain Guard, which may make a difference to you.)
However I'd personally go down to a store, and compare them for weight side by side, as that will be the only major thing that would make any serious difference between them.