Building a new PC

Charlie_B

Harvester
Hi all,

I'm starting to think about building a new computer and would be interested to know if anyone has any input on the components I'm considering. This is all pretty vague at the moment, I've not settled on anything, but here's where I'm going with so far:

Processor: Intel Core i5 2500K £160
GFX: GeForce GTX 560 Ti £160
Mobo: Asus P8Z68-V Gen 3 £140
RAM: 16GB (4x4gb) Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1600 MHz £70
SSD: 60gig OCZ Agility 3 £80
2nd HD: 500g Western Ditigal Caviar Blue £70
Monitor: Open to suggestions. I'm looking for something with these specs:

1080p, ~23", IPS, <£150, HDMI/DVI/VGA inputs (ideally), suitable response time for gaming (<6ms?), decent brightness and contrast ratios.

I haven't yet sussed out whether I can use my old PSU, what case to buy (easy to cool and quiet will be pluses, not too bothered about appearance) nor what heatsink/fans - they're all of secondary importance really.

Any comments, suggestions?

Dark_Angel

Landscape Designer
Super Moderator
Community Operator
Hullo Charlie!

I'm nowhere near as up on PC building as I was a few years ago but know this place to be decent if you want to check out how to get the best components for your money:

http://www.reddit.com/r/buildapc

You can also sign up, if you haven't already got a reddit account, and post your proposal for others to scrutinize. :)

CFalcon

Official Helper
In my opinion, AMD systems are better value for money at the moment.

But otherwise that build looks great.

Charlie_B

Harvester
Hi both!

DA: Thanks for the suggestion. I'd never really looked at reddit before but there's a lot of valuable info on there.

CF: AMD may be better value for money, but surely that's only for low-mid range builds? AMD offer nothing to compare with Intel's second-gen i5/i7 chips as far as I can tell.

Update

Having looked around some more I'm drawn to these two monitors:
LG IPS235V
Iiyama Prolite XB2374HDS-B1

And, while I've not really paid much attention to cases so far, this is currently at the top of my list:
Fractal Design Define R3

I'll be using my old Antec 500W ATX12V PSU. If I were buying a new one I'd probably go for a 650w but I can't justify doing so when there's a fairly new PSU just sitting in my old PC.

Charlie_B

Harvester
Hey loop.

Reddit seems to be obsessed with Dell Ultrasharps as well. They're just a bit more than I was planning on spending tho, and they don't have HDMI input which seems weird.

The difference between the Dell and the LG is £45 - for that money I could upgrade the GFX to at 2GB 560 Ti or a 1.25GB 560 Ti 448. I'm not sure whether I'm better to invest in card or monitor tbh.

I think you're right about the RAM - I was swayed by how cheap RAM is without really thinking enough about whether it was going to be used. I suppose I can always go with 8GB and upgrade to 16GB if I ever need to in the future.

Polo

Garden Designer
Super Moderator
Hey Charlie. :)

What use is a better graphics card if your monitor sucks? :p

You'll be spending a good few hours a day (I assume) looking at your monitor, make sure it's good quality. Also, the fully adjustable stand on the Dell rocks.

Just incase you're interested, I bought the following last March:
https://www.aria.co.uk/WishList/Yk2bhz2NfN2F8G3OM6tIyQ,,
Although I have a MSI Twin Frozr instead of the Gigabyte gpu as the Gigabyte was faulty so sent it back.

650W Be Quiet! PSU
Hiper Osiris case
Both from my old pc.

Steve_God

Official Helper
Interesting timing! I'm about to put my new PC together tomorrow when the motherboard arrives! Here's the spec :)

- 3.4 GHz Quad Core processor (Intel i7 - 2600K)
- 16Gb DDR3 RAM (Corsair 4x4Gb)
- 1Gb graphic card (Sapphire ATI HD6870)
- Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z68XP-UD3
- 120Gb Solid State Hard-drive (Corsair)
- Blue-ray player / DVD-RW (Samsung)
- Case and fans are silent/sound reducing 120mm ones (including a beast of a heat-sink - Zalman CNPS10X, and fans with golf-ball tech - Sharkoon Silent Eagle)
- Card reader/ Bluetooth v3 / Build in Wireless / other ports
- 21.5" LED Widescreen Monitor (Samsung)

Plus: a Network-Attached Storage box with a 2Tb HDD

It's also being built to work with OS X as a Hackintosh, so planning on a triple boot with Windows 7 / OS X Lion / uBuntu :)

For the box, I was going for quiet so went for this one which is designed to get a good flow from lower front to upper rear, and accomodate larger fans to less noise: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Aerocool-VS...40?s=computers&ie=UTF8&qid=1325854618&sr=1-40
However, the one you've picked was one I was tempted to pay the extra to go for, but changed my mind as apart from the design, the only difference seemed to be the built in sound proofing - which for over £40 I wasn't willing to go for as it wasn't my style of case. If you prefer that while style of case, then it's definately a good one for noise as long as you go for 120mm fans.

I've got a spreadsheet on google docs with prices and links if you're interested, but I have a feeling you might not be given you're going for cost a bit more, whereas I was gearing mine up to run as a Hackintosh, which limited some of the componants quite a bit.

Last edited:

Podunk

Head Gardener
I would defiantly get a new & more powerful PSU for that system. The capacitors in power supplies slowly degrade lowering the actual output wattage. To ensure you don't have any power problems for a long time, get a more powerful PSU now and it should last you a very long time. Not to mention it gives you room to expand later. Also aim for the highest efficiency possible, I save quite a bit on my power bills :).

atsanjose

Landscape Designer
Super Moderator
I quite recently bought 2 dell ultrasharps,
must say good price for value.

also 8 gig is enough ram.

steve what does that storage box cost? link?

Steve_God

Official Helper
Last edited:

Steve_God

Official Helper
Processor: Intel Core i5 2500K £160 - Only thing I would suggest would be go for a i7 chip if the budget allowed for an extra £80ish, as while it only has the same number of phyical chips, it has hyper-threading which creates 8 threads instead of 4, acting as a psudo 8-core at the software level and is a bit better for multi-tasking, which is something I know I'm personally terrible for - although if you're not like me and don't have a million things open at once, the chip you've picked is damn good!
GFX: GeForce GTX 560 Ti £160 - I have no-idea what GFX cards are good and which aren't these days, will leave that to someone who knows what they're talking about here :p
Mobo: Asus P8Z68-V Gen 3 £140 - Ditto here
RAM: 16GB (4x4gb) Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1600 MHz £70 - I went for the same and also kept getting told that very little software can make use of that much RAM - that said, I got it for £69 too which I thought was really reasonable, and figured at least I'm future proofing it to an extent for when software can make use of it.
SSD: 60gig OCZ Agility 3 £80 - Decent spec, I almost went for it - if you change your mind on the size, you can get a 120gig Corsair Force Series 3 for £131 delivered from Scan.
2nd HD: 500g Western Ditigal Caviar Blue £70 - for only £103, you can get a Samsung 2Tb - Worth an extra £30 if you ask me.
Monitor: Open to suggestions. I'm looking for something with these specs: [/snip] - I went for a Sansung 21.5" LED screen, mainly because it wasn't all that much more than LCD screens at £110. That said, I wasn't looking at refresh rates or anything like that as using it for gaming wasn't is the consideration for the box, given I'm mainly on consoles for gaming these days :p
Also (now I'm awake, lol) I've put up a few comments in red above next to your options :)

In addition, if you're going for quiet, I'd definately recommend giving the Sharkoon Silent Eagle fans a go (case / cpu) - they have dimbles on the fan blades like a goal ball, the outcome of which is similar to that of a goal ball in that there's less air resistance when cutting through the air, and therefore less energy and noise created for the same rpm. It also produces a turbulent wake rather than a linear airflow, which pushes a higher volume of air per rpm too, meaning it can run at a lower rpm still for the same air volume compared with others.

Last edited:

Steve_God

Official Helper
Just to update, built it last night, and the fans are AMAZING!
I had to check they were actually moving when I first booted they were that quiet.

Would SERIOUSLY recommend them if you're going for quiet :)

Mattheus

Head Gardener
Out of interest Steve, why would you need a computer to triple boot as 3 different OS' ? o.0

Steve_God

Official Helper
Out of interest Steve, why would you need a computer to triple boot as 3 different OS' ? o.0

Not a case of need... more a case of want, and just cos I can :p

Windows - Because it's what I'm used to, I've got a load of programs I use that only run on Windows, and it'll do 99% of what I want do to with the pc.

OS X - Because I want to, and I'd like to be able to use some software that runs on Macs.

uBuntu - Because while at the moment I have to rely on the big boys to support my daily computing needs, I like to think that one day I might be able to make the move over to uBuntu (or another open source free Linux distro), so I'd like to be able to log on from time to time and have a tinker without having to boot up a seperate machine.

Dark_Angel

Landscape Designer
Super Moderator
Community Operator
Nvm, I can't read (removed link)

Last edited: