Windows Updates

Melnibone

Head Gardener
Hey all could use some advice on a problem im having with windows updates

Im using windows xp and ie8 for purposes of updates the problem im having is that when i go to the update site its telling me that i need to install active x and it says to right click underneath the address bar to begin the download process, unfortunately when i do this it is just giving me my toolbar options. I have searched the site and disabled pop up blockers basically anything i think would help but as im a computer n00b im probably missing something glaringly obvious

Now as i cant install any further updates without this one i feel it may be causing my pc a lot of compatability options so any advice or ideas on anything to try would be greatly appreciated.

atsanjose

Landscape Designer
Super Moderator
there should appear a blue popupbar under your address/menu bar, you should left click that to install the active x.

if it doesnt appear then hold ctrl and hit F5

Melnibone

Head Gardener
Yeah thats what i was expecting the blue bar etc but even holding control and pressing f5 makes no difference it doesnt bring it up....

Alcibiades

Plant Geneticist
Upgrade to windows 7 really is my best suggestion. That and don't use Internet explorer for anything anywhere ever.

Melnibone

Head Gardener
was hoping to not have to upgrade :( still hoping someone knows a solution to this

Alcibiades

Plant Geneticist
Hmm. Have you tried finding the updates via something other than IE or are you restricted to using IE only? Because it's really an appalling browser :p

I don't remember XP all that well, but surely in your Control Panel there must be some way of updating without having to go to an actual website. Like the Windows Automatic Updater, or something similar. That might help bypass the entire browser issue.

atsanjose

Landscape Designer
Super Moderator
yup,

go to controll panel and theres probbebly something called automatic updates (atleast in the dutch version)

btw, do you have service pack 3 on xp?

you can check it by looking at the propperties of "your computer" or "this computer" map

moorer

Pruner
yup,

go to controll panel and theres probbebly something called automatic updates (atleast in the dutch version)

btw, do you have service pack 3 on xp?

you can check it by looking at the propperties of "your computer" or "this computer" map

Automatic update can be found in the Security Centre which is located in System Tools which is in turn under Accessories.

There is an option to check to automatically download updates.

Alternatively Microsoft offer an alternative for validating your software (if active X is an issue) here:

http://www.microsoft.com/genuine/downloads/RunHTA.aspx?displaylang=en