mirc at uni

Alvestein

Garden Designer
anyone ever had the line

[00:02:25] * Connect retry #3 irc.netgamers.org (6667) (dns pool)

come up when trying to connect??
think it might be to do with my uni's internet which i just hooked up to??

Davs

Garden Designer
I had this problem last year. Essentially, most Uni's have something in place which makes mIRC not work. Mibbit and all other web-based clients still work fine as far as I know, though.

Alcibiades

Plant Geneticist
Most universities have some sort of firewall set up to block this sort of thing. I believe there are ways around it but i'm not entirely sure. A quick google of your issue turned up THIS link.

Alvestein

Garden Designer
been on that website already alci but thanks :)
guess i'll just be absent from mirc for the year ^6

Davs

Garden Designer
been on that website already alci but thanks :)
guess i'll just be absent from mirc for the year ^6

like I said, web-based clients will probably still work (they did for me, anyway) so you have no excuse!! :p

Iamsmart

Landscape Designer
tools -> options -> options -> uncheck 'check for timed out connections

i actually have no idea though. I remember having to do something when I got to uni to IRC and I had something similar to that (i could connect but if i went idle for like 5 minutes it'd d/c me. I'm not even sure if that's what I had to do tbf :p

a891166002

Weeder
it has to do with the Ports that are enabled/disable at your school

disabling ports is more powerful than disabling the ability to go to websites. i.e Proxies and anonymizers can get past locked websites via the browser.

however getting through Ports is very hard as it has to do with the server of your school. Unless you want to be banned from school for hacking into the server and enabling the port that is needed to use mIRC and others, might as well just stick with your cellphone/iphone or go home and use it

Stegosaurus

Pruner
I believe open ports on netgamers are 6665-6669 and 8080. Try connecting through one of them, it's possible (unlikely) your network only has the default 6667 blocked.

Alternatively find an irc proxy you can bounce through on port 80. Failing that - if you've moved away from home to go to uni, see if you can set one up on your old PC on your old connection. I would elaborate further, but honestly, if you need further instructions, then this option probably isn't for you.

You could also go hit up the IT techs, they might be sympathetic, IRC is hardly obscure traffic.

If all else fails, you'll just have to stomach a web client unfortunately.